back to article Why Teflon Ballmer had to go: He couldn't shift crud from Windows 8, Surface

Microsoft chief exec Steve Ballmer has gone sooner than anyone, even he himself, had expected. On Friday he announced he will give up the reins following a 12-month transition. A one-year exit is proper given Ballmer’s position: the CEO of a major listed company. What’s strange, however, is the timing - that Ballmer should be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Oninoshiko

Re: Hehe.

I'm glad it works for you, really I am.

I'm glad it works for my fanboi boss, really I am.

It's still not working for what our support and operations staff need to do. The thing has been expensive, a downgrade in user experience, and sapped productivity.

1. mmeier

@ Oninoshiko

What does not work? Support and Operations are "tool dependent" and that should work on W8 just fine. Give examples please, general "does not work" get more and more "disbelieved"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'Expect that MacOS 10 STILL is not a good OS. They forced us to it at work because of a fanboi boss, and I have seen more crashes in the last month then in the last year of Win7.'.

Interestingly, we have the opposite issue.

In a room which started out life as having 4 Win7 boxes and two Macs expressly for CAD/CAE/Graphics, we now have 2 (barely) operational Win7 boxes left, there's been a whole catalogue of issues with the Win7 machines ranging from sheer bloody weird instability for no discernible cause (open notepad, crash the machine!) through to the old will-I-or-wont-I-boot-today?.

Meanwhile, the Macs just got on with the job, sans crashes, temper tantrums, etc. etc.

Yes, it may be the hardware we are running Win7 on is somehow crap, though I fail to see how, as it bloody well cost enough..admittedly, on a per-machine basis not as much as the Macs..but still, on paper, in terms of memory,graphics,CPU speed and number of cores and hard disk speed the PCs should outperform the Macs even for basic things like web browsing, but they don't.

..Oh, and here's the kicker, we have no viable replacement for our most used apps on the Mac, they are either horribly slow, or lack required features. So EVERYONE runs everything in a vm, which is slow and unstable...

Yes, there is a distinct lack of Mac software for some/all of the stuff we do, but we run our XP software in an Openbox VM on the Macs with no stability issues, in fact, we run our XP software in an Openbox VM on the Win7 boxes as they won't work properly natively under Win7 no matter what tweaks we apply.

As to the speed aspect of running stuff in a VM, for us it isn't too much of an issue (1 minute in a VM on the Mac as opposed to 37 seconds native on real hardware for the same task we can live with). As to the stability of the XP VMs under OSX, some of them run for weeks at a time.

(Lest you think I'm a Mac Fanboi, at this point let me assure you otherwise, in an ideal world I'd rather be running everything I could under Debian or Slackware, but alas my bosses are sphenisciphobes to a man..but if forced, I'd rather have an OS X based machine any day as my main desktop system than a Win7 box.)

'..We regularly encounter problems in this setup that cannot be reproduced in bare hardware running windows 7.'

Again, we have exactly the opposite problem, we can reproduce the same faults running the software under Win7 on several different hardware manufacturers systems, so it is some weird software-OS incompatibility we're having. In an ideal world, we'd get updated software, but that isn't going to happen for a number of reasons, one being that the software company plan no updates of one of the packages, the other being cost of updating licenses for the other.

I'd rather run the software we use 'natively' under XP on the hardware we have, but the edict came from above, no more native XP boxes..Win7 is was to be for support reasons, and our software will not work under Win7 running on bare hardware, but works fine running in a XP VM running under Win7 on the same hardware, so we currently comply with the edict from above.

Ain't IT politics fun?

2. Ian 62

You'll probably not see this now.

But if you are using MacOSX and running everything in a VM... try turning off Unity. Thats the feature that makes the windows apps appear seamless to you. Much better reliability if you run the VM 'in a VM' .

1. mmeier

@Fihart:

Win8 does not need touch, Works fine with keyboard and mouse.

The reason many people do not upgrade is simple: They have a running Win7 box that suits their needs (privat sector) or have only recently (less than 3 years) transited to Win7 (commercial). A core-i system, even the 1st gen, is good for another 3-5 years performance wise so expect few new boxes. And most people get a new OS with a new box.

Upgrades come from people who use tablet pc hardware. Win8 is a benefit there and once you use it replacing Win7 on your desktop is "the right choice" with "one UI for all". That's why I bought additional licences for the desktop (and got company IT to buy a W8 for the convertible). Next set will come between November and March when quite a few of the remaining XP boxes finally get taken out and shot. I.e dads ole dimension (P4, original model) will be one of them and he will get a shiny new Win8 system (unless I dislike the Baytrail and go T90x - than it's a used ivy bridge HP Pavillion with W8)

Family support for WinXP and 7 ends November 1st 2013. After that - Win8 only!

1. eldakka

QUOTE: "replacing Win7 on your desktop is "the right choice" with "one UI for all"."

Sorry, I prefer "the right UI for the job" rather than the "1 UI for all" when that UI is inadequate for all tasks.

How stupid do you have to be that you can't adapt to 2 or 3 different, regularly used, UIs?

1. Al Jones

That 8%-9% rise in the stock is just a knee-jerk reaction by people looking to make a speculative bet on sudden breaking news. The stock closed at $32.39 the day before the announcement, and it's currently at $33.40. Does the 7%-8% drop since the announcement mean that the market thinks that this was a bad move after all, or that it doesn't really make that much difference.

Looking to sudden upticks in the share price for insight is like looking to the comments section of ElReg. Confirmation bias will take over and you'll see whatever you want to see, and ignore anything that indicates that you're actually an idiot.

1. Captain DaFt

" That 8%-9% rise in the stock is just a knee-jerk reaction by people looking to make a speculative bet on sudden breaking news. "

True that. but what's telling is that it went up instead of down on the news.

If they thought Balmer's exit was bad for MS, it'd've been "Sell! Sell! Sell!" instead of "Buy! Buy! Buy!"

1. TheUglyAmerican

Not just Ballmer

I think it's part of the MS culture to miss the boat. Remember the whole "embrace and extend" philosophy? Basically let others innovate then MS will take over and make it theirs. Remember the mid-90's with Gates dismissing the Internet?

MS was able to leverage their OS with exclusionary business practices. They were able to leverage their office apps with their OS. Beyond that they've played second fiddle to the true innovators for the last 20 years.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

And now that innovation is no longer taking place on the PC, MS is a boat without a rudder.

Whether or not they're heading for the falls is something we yet have to see.

2. DButch

Re: Not just Ballmer

I remember listening to a presentation on Microsoft back in '95. Microsoft had clearly missed the first Internet wave but was already regaining ground. The analyst's comment was along the lines of "Microsoft doesn't gain ground because they make good decisions, they gain ground because their rivals make worse decisions. If this was a boxing match I'd swear that Microsoft's opponents had been paid to take a dive."

3. Iceman
      Facepalm

Re: Not just Ballmer

Using 'leverage' as a verb? See picture.

2. Stephen Channell
    Windows

class-action lawsuit was the killer

If Microsoft/Ballmer was found guilty of misleading investors over sales of Surface, there’s a good chance he’d be disbarred; every single MS director would have been asked if they’d take the stand for him and risk disbarment. A poker man would not go all-in on the cards he held, so he folded.

1. asdf

Re: class-action lawsuit was the killer

Bah class action shareholder law suits never accomplish anything, except in the worst cases of fraud (sorry surface rt not even same league as say Countrywide) except make lawyers rich.

3. Rikkeh

Surface fans

If you head on over to the FT, there are a load of Surface fans making the case for it as a business tablet, with its Office support and serious keyboard.

Unfortunately, Microsoft tried to pitch it as a direct competitor to the Android and Apple recreational machines, with happy clappy college students rather than middled aged people in suits who wanted a new way to flick through a spreadsheet on the sofa.

Right product, wrong target. Yes, there were other problems (e.g. the ARM/x86 issue), but I wonder whether in a parallel universe they couldn't have hacked it out a niche as the go-to corpo-slab.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surface fans

Surface as business tablet is too little for too much. Businesses want a business laptop - that is, they want a device that is perceived to be "all business". Solid, reliable, conservative, compatible, flexible, trustworthy. A device that says "These are the values we bring to you, our client" when worker/representative whips it out in front of (you).

A thin, only somewhat reliable (keyboard problems, for one) touchy-feely tablet in bright colors with a touch interface and restricted hardware isn't seen as such even if it just might work out there in the field, out in reality. The Surface says too much of "Playful" and not enough of "We're all about nose to the grindstone", and that is why corporate buyers didn't give it a chance. It may not sound nice, but it's honest.

2. mmeier

Surface or Surface/Pro? The latter is a nice unit for quite a few business jobs. 4+h or endurance is good enough for presentations, meetings etc. and the unit can do WIDI and run all the "usual suspects". No guessing wether that Powerpoint runs, that video shows, that special "windows only" software works - it will since it IS a Windows box. And from a lengthy experience - tablet pc like the S/P and it's siblings work great as meeting tools replacing whiteboards (WIDI to the beamer), notepads and all. And in a company environment you simply sync the data over Sharepoint if you prefer a "bigger box" for the regular work.

Granted, a Fujitsu T-series / Lenox X2x0 is more powerful and capabel (replacing the desktop easily) but it also costs about trice what an S/P costs and is at about double in weight

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

If you are a total MSFT shop and you are just a manager who lives in Outlook then the surface is quite nice as basically an Outlook dashboard.

If you need to do any work - a surface pro with a second monitor running word/excel/VS is great.

But the chances of your big corporate customers rolling out 100,000 seats of a $2000 touch screen laptop just to use your pretty new OS = 0%

1. mmeier

Who needs a touch screen on a desktop or conventional notebook? Touch (or rather pen, touch can join Jobs in Hell) is for tablets, convertibles and 2in1 that can make use of it. Like the 900€ S/P. And since all boxes run Windows you can buy based on needs.

The sales guy gets a simple Win8 tablet with Wacom/Ntrig, maybe even a BayTrail. Maybe with a dock for working at his place (There we add a big ego enlargement device or two, say 24'')

The consultant who does some more typing "away from home" a nice convertible like the Duo13 or a Helix (I would wait for the Haswell-equiped "B") with some 8-15h endurance depending on use

Office workers get classic desktops.

Programmers get classic desktops (if only working in-office) or a big full-powered convertible with dock (if working at the customer site)

Win8 on all - it simply works and gives you choice!

3. Tom 35

" wanted a new way to flick through a spreadsheet on the sofa."

Except the small problem that it sucks for that. With the floppy keyboard, top heavy screen, and the little stand it only works on a table, not a lap.

It's not any better then a iPad or Android with a bluetooth keyboard.

The only real advantage is it can run office (or comes with crippled office in the RT version).

4. Semtex451

On the Surface

He'd have survived the other mega-gaffs if he'd priced the Surface(s) properly from launch.

I'm copyrighting "mega-gaff"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On the Surface

Gaff-storm.

1. Kunari
        Devil

Re: On the Surface

Gaff-nado

5. RyokuMas
    FAIL

"Blown tens of billions of dollars on online ads"

If Pubcenter is anything to go by, they'd have been better off investing in ads via skywriting

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bye Ballmer

Can we haz our Start Menu back now, plees?

hugs and kisses,

Microsoft Users

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"For Gates & Co, the reorganisation would also have seemed the right juncture to remove Ballmer in order to avert a second lost decade and protect their company from a supremo seemingly unable to change his ways

Of course Blamer never changed his way, we was never wrong. It was the rest of the world that failed to see his absolute brilliance and kept on making serious mistakes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oops, for "we" read "he"

8. Sarah Davis

Ballmer shmallmer

Ballmer has always come across as an overgrown petulant child on too much sugar, bouncing around the stage saying 'I'm excited, I'm excited" - Gee, he's an excitable little fellow.

Windows 8 is so poorly thought through. Had it been tested properly it would never have made it through the door. It's fine for phone and tablets and for the computer illiterate, but wholly cumbersome for the pro desktop user, and it looks like 8.1 won't address half the issues. After Millennium and Vista you'd have thought they wouldn't repeat the same mistake again. Win 8 could be great, but they need to listen and think, somethin Ballmer was not known for

1. gbroon

Re: Ballmer shmallmer

I always feel so lonely when I realise I might be the only person who actually likes windows 8.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Windows 8 has its good points on a tablet but it is hideously clunky on a desktop with a keyboard and mouse - unless you're one of those throw back twits that were already entering command lines on Windows 7 instead of using the GUI

1. cyborg
          Mushroom

Us throw-back twits like to use the command-line to automate parts of our jobs that you less productive GUI-tards will spend hours over thank-you-very-much.

1. mmeier

Powershell

1. launcap Silver badge
              FAIL

>Powershell

AKA - 'badly done attempt to copy unix CLI that uses an utterly inconsistent set of random mandatory capitalisation in the parameters'..

1. mmeier

Did you ever use it or is that from "FossTard Youth Indoctrination 101"?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Maybe he tried to stop the NSA back-dooring everything MSFT coded?

10. Shagbag
    Headmaster

"he himself"

redundancy.

1. Tufty Squirrel

Re: "he himself"

>> redundancy

Yep, that's what we're talking about.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The trouble starts when you start believing your own marketing hype and fail to take a dispassionate look at what the opposition is doing. While I am far from being an Apple fan, it is hard to deny that they have done a lot of things right, and their user interfaces have been exemplary.

An overwhelming market share can be huge handicap when it comes to innovation. There have been too many examples of Microsoft doing things and telling its customers that "this is new and therfore better", a line much pushed by Microsoft fanatics. People do not like having their interfaces changed unless they are really convinced that they offer an improvement. This is particulary true of business customers, where the benefits have to outweigh the costs of retraining.

1. Tom 35

"The trouble starts when you start believing your own marketing hype and fail to take a dispassionate look at what the opposition is doing."

While at the same time ignoring what your customers are trying to tell you.

When people were using a registry setting in the pre-release version of Win8 to turn off not-metro their response was to rip out the registry setting so people could not turn it off.

People who do buy 8 install a 3rd party add-on to make not-metro go away, tell MS it's crap, their response is to add a button on the screen that replaces the invisible spot to call up the hated start screen and pretend everything is fixed.

12. James Pickett

He had to go - there was nothing left to sit on.

13. Philip Lewis

I believe Carley Fiorina is looking for a job.

She has excellent credentials running mega-corp HP and is a women of singular vision to boot.

I think she would be an excellent choice for MS.

1. Duncan Macdonald
      Devil

Do you hate Microsoft that much ?

The only company that I would like to see her join is Oracle.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Do you hate Microsoft that much ?

" The only company that I would like to see her join is Oracle. "

She doesn't join companies, she dismembers them.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Asok Asus

Brilliant! I think.

Reply Icon

OK, I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but I have to admit it's pretty hard to tell for sure. If this is in fact sarcasm, it's brilliant. If not, then, uh, well, cluelessness would probably be too kind.

1. Philip Lewis
        Pint

Re: Brilliant! I think.

I think the

$ set sarcasm=on

should have been unnecessary, but I guess there are people who are unaware of the destructive power of Carley (tm)

14. Mr. Peterson

cue Joe Strummer: Get Down Moses - talk about being lost in the wilderness!

“The Tablet takes cutting-edge PC technology and makes it available wherever you want it, which is why I’m already using a Tablet as my everyday computer. It’s a PC that is virtually without limits — and within five years I predict it will be the most popular form of PC sold in America.” — Bill Gates, Nov 2001.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2001/nov01/11-11comdex2001keynotepr.aspx

1. Ian 55

Yes, but Gates saw it running x86 Windows...

There was no reason to buy the original tablets rather than a laptop, and lots of reasons not to.

15. Herby

We look at history and see...

The flatness of Microsoft, and its halving of its market capitalization.

The rise of Google, Facebook, and to some extent Apple where the market cap has increased by about the same as Microsoft;s has gone down.

It doesn't take long before one sees the handwriting on the wall.

So, Uncle Fester is going away soon. The question remains: Will Microsoft get its groove back.

Perhaps one thing should be observed. Bill Gates had some understanding of the business, being a programmer and all. I think that Mr. Balder's expertise is only in bean counting, which might explain the lack of "smooth sailing". He just lets the boat drift, and gets away with it.

16. Mikel

In the cusp

After trying to prevent the transition to mobile for a decade, it is now happening without them. The next 24 months are utterly critical: one more mobile generation should make the transition permanant, leaving them no place in technology at all. To guarantee the transition it is essential the company be immobilized.

Nothing brings things to a halt faster than announcing a sweeping reorganization during a CEO transition. From high to low every member of the tribe not only doesn't know what to do, anything they do might be at cross purposes to the new leader's vision. It is brilliant, and could not come at a better time.

My only hope is that a year from now they announce the hunt for a replacement unsuccessful and start naming interim CEOs.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like