back to article 'Not even Santa could save Microsoft's Windows 8'

Once upon a time any problem at Microsoft could be magically resolved with a new Windows release. Since Windows Vista, however, that formula hasn't worked. In fact, according to new sales data from NPD Group, it may be getting worse. In late 2012, departing Microsoft board member Reed Hastings called Microsoft's Surface tablet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: As an MBP owner...

Well, as a non MBP owner, I'd pay a few hundred extra for a 2880x1800 resolution screen on my laptop, but only Apple offers that. Or for that kind of resolution on the 27" monitor I have instead of the 1920x1080 it has. There are some 2560x1600 monitors out there, but they cost nearly $1000 versus under $300 for the same size in 1080p. Clearer more easily readable text is a good thing, and I'm willing to pay for it. Apple's sales of the Retina MBP shows I'm not alone in this.

Laptops and desktop monitors are far more in need of resolution increases than TVs and phones. Yet all we hear about are pointless hype about 4K TVs and 1080p phones that serve no purpose. I'm not hearing anything from anyone about higher resolution laptop screens aside from Apple, and even 1600p desktop monitors cost 3-4x what the same size panel in 1080p costs. Stupid. At least 4K TVs will have the side benefit of eventually making 4K resolution desktop monitors reasonably priced!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: As an MBP owner...

... but you're worth it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cannibalize your own market or someone will do it for you

The whole sector declined but Apple declined less and actually increased it's ASP so overall revenue was probably about the same. The others suffered bigger drops and in a market where prices and margins were falling as well = double bad.

All laptops will be affected by the success of the iPad and other tablets - netbooks especially but for many people a tablet will do all they needed a laptop to do at lower cost, weight and size. My iPad can get me on the network, I have SSH, access to email and a web browser and most of the time that's all I need - I'm sure I'm not alone.

1. FuzzyTheBear
    Pint

First Impressions

Perhaps . like many others around me . the feeling that win 8 is a media consumption system and not an operating system for serious work is what turned so many away. It looks cheap Feeling i had was written cheap all over . I don't need a media consumption device. I need a computer with serious oomph to do serious work. XP fills that need when i have windows only programs that i need. XP remains a stable os. If they were to sell licenses for it they'd still sell it. Nice to have new products.but having GOOD products that look and feel professional is even better.

( yes im a linux user .. and ill refrain making smart remarks about trying linux bla bla crunchbang !# bla bla for serious work and great performance and a professional feeling bla bla lol )

Cheers , Have a great computing year

2. David Strum
    Unhappy

No, the vast majority of us are sick of buying new

It’s alright for a few gadget addicts, with plenty of cash to burn. But I suspect schools who have just shelled out a couple of grand on desktops, just can’t jump on the band waggon and throw them away for tablets. There is an uneasiness that starts to become obvious to us punters, that MS and the rest, are taking the mick; having a laugh at our expenses as they rip open our dwindling wallets.

I’m just sick of being told my PC is now 6 month old, time for a new one. Sick to death; sc****w you MS. I’m not playing or paying anymore.

3. Semaj
    Facepalm

There's a Good OS in there Somewhere

I installed it on my small, low powered laptop (mostly to test) and tbh - it's not an awful OS, it's just crippled with awful, arbitrary design choices. The biggest one of which for me is that apps won't run in a lower (netbook) res and this is impossible to change, even though all of those apps have vast amounts of white space. There are a number of other issues as well but that's the one that winds me up the most.

There are a lot of low powered laptops (mostly people who don't give a toss about whether something looks good or not), which could have generated quite a number of upgrades if nothing else. If only they hadn't totally ignored their Beta and RTM feedback.

And I think this res issue is going to bite them even more in the coming months / years because surely you could produce a much cheaper tablet with a low res screen, which would be ideal for the netbook market (i.e. those who want to pay <= £200).

Ah well - at least coding Android apps is pretty easy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's that funny smell

Kinda sweet and sickly... like a woodchuck that's been sunnin' itself

on the highway after a few days. Couldn't happen to a nicer pack

of thieves.

Fubar (anonymous 'cuz I dig the masque)

5. Corborg
    Meh

How it should be

I never really got OS's launching to fanfare. A good OS should be slipping by unnoticed, doing its job. And that job is to protect us from the complexities of the machine, and allow us to run the tools we need on it.

In one way Windows 8 achieves this really well with its more streamlined and modular (alright not Linux modular yet but getting better) code base.

It then fails miserable with a slap in the face when you press the start button.

I hope all releases of Windows from now on are low key, iterative updates that try to be nothing more than it needs to be. No movie makers, social networking apps, UI rehashes or attempts to build a foundation for a walled garden (thanks for that Apple)..

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Sil

A success in the long run?

All true but on the other hand look at CES, 99% of innovation is linked to Windows 8.

We may have the Office 2010 effect, disliked at the beginning but a huge success widely appreciated in the end.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Mark Leaver
    Thumb Up

Linux or Windows 7

I am on the verge of buying myself a new laptop. As most of the ones that I am interested in these days is Winblows 8 only, I can see myself buying a copy of Windows 7 to install on the thing or downloading a copy of Linux and then I may consider running Winblows 8 in a virtual machine. And as I usually build my own home PC's I would seriously consider dumping Windows 7 on the home machine and going full Linux and run Windows 7 in virtual machines for those times when I have to do something in Windows...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NO shitze!

Win8 is the shitze and not in a good way. People are voting with their wallets and the resounding"NO" is being reported by everyone including Microsucks.

10. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Devil

Santa?

I think you've misspelled the name of the one character with whom Microsoft could contract to turn their prospects around.

11. The Godfather
    Coat

Holy crap...

Nothing riles the populous more than Microsoft....(mind you, I can see their angle)...!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Holy crap...

Apple are a close second.

12. The Grump
    Facepalm

I want to go back to Win XP

At least Win XP could remember where you closed the last window for each program you use. Ever since Vista, all the windows for every program open on top of each other, and there is no way to stop it short of registry brain surgery - and I'm not a Windows brain surgeon.

Microsoft's mission: If you have something that works, fix it until it doesn't work, then call it a "feature", not a programming bug. Too bad MS is the only game in town. Linux isn't really a player in the game.

13. soliduss

Odd one out

I, for one really enjoy using Windows 8 except for the intrusive "metro". At work, on a touch screen all-in-one pc it makes sense and functions well, on my laptop its more annoying and ruins it, as previously mentioned I am hoping that microsoft in their next Service Pack of windows 8 enable users to disable "metro" on machines without touch screen.

14. Ponmyword

Anything but

Corporates have no reason to "upgrade" from Windows 7, indeed W8 is a disincentive. Laptoppers similarly. Those using iPads or Android equivalents wouldn't want W8 on anything. Netbooks are ok with Linux.

There is no real market for W8 (except for a few fanbois and microserfs).

Shame (+irony).

1. EvilGav 1
      Thumb Down

Re: Anything but

Not sure everyone is in such hived off silos as you believe.

I have a W8 desktop, an Android phone, a linux file server and a Win XP Netbook (not decided whether to switch it to Linux or W8 yet). The only OS I will have no part of is the one from the fruity firm.

So, whither does that leave me in your eyes?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Anything but

atypical?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

Re: Anything but @ EvilGav1

It leaves you as a 50% Linux user - in the hardware stakes, and time wise?

Probably about a 90% Linux user.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like