back to article Microsoft blasts PC makers: It's YOUR fault Windows 8 crash landed

Microsoft blames PC makers for underwhelming Windows 8 sales over Christmas, The Register has learned. The software giant accused manufacturers of not building enough attractive Win 8-powered touchscreen tablets. But the computer makers are fighting back: they claimed that if they’d followed Microsoft’s hardware requirements …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pot, kettle

"How can MS say it's the fault of the OEM's for not producing hardware at launch when they're only shipping their own Surface Pro in February?"

Cause Ballmer is a w*nker with no idea. He'll bring them down. Get rid now.

I stil like windows. I get what they have done with the start screen, some how, 1,000,000's have missed it.

Too stuck in their ways to change.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"some how, 1,000,000's have missed it."

or alternatively ......

2. Obvious Robert
      Linux

"instead of ripping out all the eye candy so it blends with boring Metro"

This is one of my major gripes with Windows 8 that's rarely mentioned round here. Yes the start screen and hot corners and all the rest of it are rubbish, but why on earth did they have to remove all that lovely eye candy from Win7? And not just the transparency but anything resembling a contour or depth at all? Every time I have to support a Win8 PC I do a double take because it looks like it's in safe mode or something, then I remember that no, it's just crap.

Mind you there are positives to come out of this. About 9 months ago, after years of procrastination I'd finally got around to playing with Linux in the form of Ubuntu. I tried to like Unity, I really did but ultimately I just couldn't get on with it and I retreated back to Win7. Seeing the monumental shite pile that is Windows 8 made me realise that thinking long term, I really had to find a viable alternative. This spurred me on and over the last few weeks I've been busy making friends with KDE and Kubuntu - Start buttons! Functionality! Eye candy! Customisability! I'm still very much a Linux newbie compared to my years of tech support level knowledge of Windows, but now I've made the leap I feel there's probably no going back.

Small but somewhat important note to Microsoft - if your new OS is so ugly and badly designed that it's encouraging long term customers to learn an entirely new alternative from scratch, you now need to accept that you've made a desperately massive mistake.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

When you log into Ubuntu, you can choose the standard interface instead of Unity. I don't like Unity either.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Using it and yet still don't like Win 8 on the desktop

I first installed it on a 6 year old Acer 3690 (MSDN) . It worked, no issues with drivers. Smooth enough, but the hassles between (Not)Metro and Desktop were too annoying.

Rollf forward a few months, I get myself a cheap netbook from Comet's dying days. It's meant to have Win 7, actually Win 8.

I kept it rather than reclaiming the full HDD by installing Mint on it because the work is going to go to Win 8 soon apparently. The big bosses like it.

They all use it on tablets.

I can see this working nicely on a phone. Even though I am a commited Droid user, I could see this being an OK interface to use as a phone, but even though it imported account details from my Acer 3690 experiment with Win 8 (kind of creepy at first) .

My wife, not a technophone, but less likely to get into things that make me think "cool" about an OS has also been using Win 8. She really loved it at first but as she goes on she finds it gets in the road. Finiding out how to CLOSE Metro apps is not intuitive. The switchout from Metro to Desktop gets on her nerves as does the interface being designed for a tablet as far as multiple windows/apps goes. No quick drag and drop between folders here, not in Metroland.

Ideas from Metro might have been nice as a new approach to a desktop gadget bar, but for the desktop in its entirity, no

2. RyokuMas
    Stop

Poor marketing, bad timing

Right, let's not get too hung up on the merits and flaws of any particular operating system - Win8 or otherwise. Personally, I reserve my judgement as I've yet to get hands-on with a Win8 box for any length of time - although I have no problem with taking a pop at a ranting zealot who does not back up their argument with credible facts and figures.

But in this case, Microsoft are not helping their cause in the slightest. As vmcreator states, the a lot of the Win8 project felt rushed and panicked, resulting not only in a badly timed and poorly marketed launch, but also in alienating people - which only gives the zealots ammunition. This mudslinging is only going to make matters worse.

Like I said - I reserve my judgement over the software. But the marketing at the moment sounds a lot like a child yelling "me! me! me!" and then throwing a tantrum when things don't go its way.

Microsoft are not yet a dying breed. But the are losing a lot of ground, and need to think both quickly and carefully if they want to stand any chance of turning things around. Throwing accusations will not help.

3. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Facepalm

M$ has done exactly...

what i said they shouldn't - release expensive, high end products - The nix tablets tried it and it failed badly at the start (then figured out if you copy apple you stand far more chance), palm tried it and it failed, how much more evidence do you need not to repeat the same mistakes?

Not matter how good you think you are the public doesnt believe you - they buy apple if they can afford it.

Should have released at £150 for that much i would have bought one, for the same price an an iPad i would upgrade my iPad to the latest version.

(I will just wait for the flames now from the driod folk. :D - but its true never the less)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ballmer can't bully the makers!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cobblers

so the MS demand manufacturers build expensive toys and when they bulk at this, far from being convinced they'll sell like hot cakes (financial crisis, folks buy fewer toys, etc), and don't want to imitate RIM or HP "firesale" - and then the good MS people blame those manufacturers for low interest from punters? Why, should it not be that with lack of this competition, MS own toy, aka surface RT should fly off the shelves? Non? Not flying? Flapping then? Keeling over? Pining for the Norwegian fjords? Sniffing warehouse atmosphere? Bad, bad manufacturers!

6. Mystic Megabyte
    Linux

Sneak preview of Win 9

http://neave.com/simon/

On a serious note, there are always too many versions of Windows, Home, Pro etc and now RT.

MS has always been a bare bones OS, to do anything useful you have to buy a lot more software. Explorer was/is a crap file manager and I believe that even the Media Player is now an extra.

Ultimately I just do not trust MS, they have done to many dirty deeds. Vista assumed that everyone was a criminal and ran like a dog while it checked for possible copyright infringement.

It is like BT and Phorm. Once a company crosses that bridge there is no going back, they will never convince me to support them again.

1. Davidoff
      Holmes

I believe that even the Media Player is now an extra.

"...I believe that even the Media Player is now an extra."

Only if you buy the EU-mandated 'N' variant. The normal Windows versions all come with Windows Media Player of course, and Windows 8 adds a (quite nice) Metro audio and video player to that.

"Ultimately I just do not trust MS, they have done to many dirty deeds. Vista assumed that everyone was a criminal and ran like a dog while it checked for possible copyright infringement."

I would have thought that by now everyone even in the sticks knows that the Vista DRM nonsense (which came from wannabe-scientist Peter Gutman from NZ) was just that - a huge pile of nonsense. As apparently you never used Vista (otherwise you should have known better) I suggest you have a read here:

http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/windows_vista_drm_nonsense

"It is like BT and Phorm. Once a company crosses that bridge there is no going back, they will never convince me to support them again."

Well, in this case you should never ever use a product from Apple, any Android phone, a PS3, and many other stuff made by or supplied by companies that have an eye on their customers. In fact, these days MS is by far one of the lesser evils.

But I guess old habits (and prejudice) die hard.

7. __________
    Coat

Can I just say "I miss File Manager"

I do.

So there

1. Chad H.
      Trollface

Re: Can I just say "I miss File Manager"

File Manager?

Ha Ha Ha.

MS-DOS Exec for me please.

1. Corborg
        Thumb Up

Re: Can I just say "I miss File Manager"

Directory Opus for me please

8. AJ01

Ham Sandwich

I was going to buy Windows 8 but then I had a Ham cheese and Pickle sandwich on warburtons thick cut sliced bread, not warburtons toastie cut bread, i prefer the additional bread supplied by the thicker cut. you know the one in the green packet not the blue or the orange ones, and nver that hovis crap you can only get in petrol station shops. i also added a bit of butter to the sandwich, i am not sure if you can taste it through the ham cheese and pickle but still its kind of tradition.

9. Andy Watt
    FAIL

Petard - hoisted on, see "own"

End of story.

10. CmdrX3
    Meh

Windows 8 isn't that bad, just TIFKAM sucks a sweaty pair

As soon as I got shot of TIFKAM and started using Start8 it certainly improved. I even like quite a few of the TIFKAM apps, it's a shame they use it to run. If they could just get those apps working within the normal desktop and give it a close button instead of having to drag the app down then escape from TIFKAM as quickly as possible. Even the ribbon toolbar is not that bad once you get the hang of where things are, and I originally hated the ribbon. They took a perfectly good start menu system and completely banjaxed it for the sake of touchscreen that few people want or use on a PC when they should have concentrated on integrating the Skydrive cloud more seamlessly. They made a lot of improvements in Windows 8, unfortunately they are completely overshadowed by the the turd that is TIFKAM. So if they want to do a Windows 8 launch reboot..... reboot the OS without that f*****g monstrosity.

11. Monopolies-Suck
    FAIL

Paying the Piper

MSFT simply did not listen to the market - they want their own way and are now paying the price of that lack of listening. To blame the PC vendors may be in part accurate - they too do not want to have to put lipstick on a pig.

During the development of Win8, MSFT folks were fobiden to talk about or divulge virtually anythig. By not talking (although Sinofsky did to a lot of talking on the blog and not a lot of listening) and more importantly not really listening, they ended up making some major mistakes, IMHO.

At one point it was absurd: one MSFT FTE. speaking at a major industry conference, could not even admit that there WAS a Win8 being worlked on. They (Sinofsky) killed off the beta programme which had served MSFT well in terms of early feedback that could be acted on. So by the time BUILD had happened, MSFT was so committed to the new UI, there was no turning back.

As a result, issues like the UI being poor for desktop/laptop users, there being no way to run multiple 'metro' apps next to each other (heck, even Windows 2 allowed you to run multiple apps side by side), etc, etc. While all this may make sense for a tablet/slate, but utterly suck on corporate laptop/desktop systems.And don't get me started on the lame application store. East German food shops were better stocked!

But at the end of the day, the failure of Win8 is down to MSFT. They designed this turkey, they failed to listen to legitimate complaints, and they launched hardware that directly competes with their former 'partners'.What did they really expect?

To sum it all up: #FAIL

12. BitDr

Success...

It was Mr. Gates who said something along the lines of "Success is a lousy teacher, it convinces otherwise smart people that they can't lose". The executives at MS would do well to heed those words.

13. coastwalker

fiddling whilst rome burns

I am utterly astonished that there is no hint that the high profile extreme risk of changing the operating system from a WIMP interface to a slidey touch phone one - no matter what the hardware, figures nowhere in the analysis of why sales are not at the level expected. Are these people complete and utter morons.

If you have any sense I would sell everything to do with Microsoft - including shares in their partners because of this bizarre blindness. They must be grinding up those touch tablets and smoking them. A slow launch I could understand but bleating this juvenile nonsense without reference to the elephant in the room shows them to be so utterly complacent they must have a death wish.

14. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

MSFT Reality Distortion Field

MSFT have over $60 billion cash on hand, yet Win8 is the best they can do???

The 'tell' in this story is that they are no longer able to control market direction by diktat.

Really, when has a company done so little with so much. MFST Q2'13 earnings are out today after the close. That should be an interesting read.

15. Drefsab
    Thumb Down

lol

So after users all around the world saying windows 8 is rubbish Microsoft ignored them and decided to go ahead anyway, so people have used it and gone this is rubbish and guess what the users don't want it.

Several people I know have bought new laptops etc that had windows 8 on it, each and every single one has come to me asking if I can wipe it and put windows 7 on it.

I've used it myself to learn, while there are some elements I love about it (boot speed, the file copying dailogs etc) they may simple every day tasks so much harder than they used to be. For example looking at images in a folder double click a picture then use left and right to scroll through the images? oh no no no not on windows 8 we will make you open and close the metro app for each picture. Sure thats a simple thing to fix to but there to many things like that and it make users not want it.

If users dont want it they wont rush out and buy new hardware with it.

16. Piro Silver badge

Surface RT

Was a pointless product, confusing the ever-living shit out of most Joe Public consumers, who if they understood the limitations, wouldn't want it anyway, and would probably be happier with a normal cheapo laptop, an iPad, or possibly "one of those google/nexus thingies".

Windows 8 on its own, is a conflicted product - painfully pulling desktop users into a touch environment for no reason, but still having a small application base, so in reality, touch machines will need to enter the desktop to Get Shit Done.

17. W.O.Frobozz

Seriously, STFU Baldy

Windows 8 is actually WORSE than Windows Vista. It is YOUR fault you wanted to shove a terrible tablet interface in everyone's faces.

And even without that Windows 8 would have STILL been lukewarm because Windows 7 finally got it right.

You expect people to upgrade to Windows 8 for "games?" What games? Microsoft stuck a dagger in the back of PC gaming when they invented the X-Box, causing games to either not be made for the PC or worse, end up with a crappy console port...wake up and smell the corpse, Ballmer. PC Gaming is dead and YOU were the one that killed it. The goldmine era of people frantically updating to the latest Windows to play the latest games is gone forever. Given what Valve is doing with Steam, they're going Linux.

And as for business users using Windows 8? Let me be the first to say HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Right. Because professionals really WANT that crappy, clunky tablet interface making their day's work more difficult and painful. I know MY business has no plans to foist this lemming on it's employees.

Steve "Barkto" Ballmer NEEDS. TO. BE. FIRED.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

Re: Seriously, STFU Baldy

You've seemingly turned up the hyperbole to eleven. I am unsure that congratulations are in order.

No, Windows 8 is not worse than Vista.

No, PC gaming is not dead.

My suggestion is an Aristotelian moderation in all things.

18. James Gosling
    Happy

Well, let's face it...

The current self inflicted humiliation Microsoft is going through is long overdue and each installment puts a bigger smile on my face! Microsoft have produced many products, some good, some bad, most not so great. But their overall contribution to the industry has been a negative one. Year on year they become more and more irrelevant, and unless this leopard changes its spots, that all for the good of IT.

19. djstardust

Poor hardware is the issue

Looking at laptops and PCs lately has scared me. They're either cheap and nasty looking or decent and expensive.

Saying that, I have just installed a 256gb SSD in my 2009 Quadcore MacPro and put windows 7 on it. Bloody fantastic!

I really dislike MacOS and Windows 8. Having tried both my ultimate solution is Mac hardware with an older MS OS.

The future is bleak ......

20. James Pickett

Oxymoron?

"attractive Win 8-powered"

Not something you read every day.

21. Levente Szileszky
    FAIL

Again and again, it's the UBER-INCOMPETENT, clueless yet arrogant Ballmerian mafia...

...as they are DESPERATELY trying to avoid to have to face the music finally - GAME OVER, you big, fat, bald chair-throwing beancounting clown.

"“Microsoft is not blaming itself for not selling enough Surface, it’s blaming OEMs for not having enough touch-based product,” our supply chain source said."

AS ALWAYS. Cockroaches try to survive, to stay inside the BUBBLE where reality barely creeps in before devastating numbers like this hit them hard...

"In a statement attributed to Windows business planning general manager Bernardo Caldas, Microsoft said it works closely with hardware partners on a list of selected devices which it believes “people will love and that showcase the best of the Windows 8 user experience. This is not a new process for Windows”.

Awww, even for a usual BS by an MSFT bobbleheads like Caldas it's way too lame... not new? You couldn't f'n manage a SINGLE new platform rollout without completely screwing it up (no, W7 wasn't new, it was a fixed-up Vista.)

"On those Q4 sales, Microsoft claimed 60 million Windows 8 licences had been sold to date - pointing to comments made by Windows division chief financial officer and chief marketing officer Tami Reller at a JP Morgan conference.

Microsoft did say that the figure of 60 million could be attributed to upgrades and sales to manufacturers – so not sales of actual PCs to the end user. Reller had claimed the 60 million was “roughly in line with where we would have been with Windows 7".

One word: priceless (and no pun intended.) The fact that the head of finance is the same person as the head of marketing should tell you everything about her credibility - indeed, tossing out shipments to manufacturers as sales numbers is downright pathetic.

Again, this is the super-incompetent, uber-bureaucratic 'management' Ballmer 'managed' to build over his 10+ years reign - and it's now taking its heavy toll on MSFT.

Once again, I MUST link the mandatory read about Ballmer et al - it was an excellent piece in Vanity Fair's last August issue :

How Microsoft Lost Its Mojo: Steve Ballmer and Corporate America's Most Spectacular Decline

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer#1

Once you've read this article you'll understand why it is IMPOSSIBLE to fix MSFT while Balllmer and his ilks are still running it - BALLMER ET AL MUST GO, ASAP.

22. Steve Mann

Hurrah!

Finally, Microsoft gets on board the Linux community message:

"Ours is better; people don't use it because they are dumber than a bag of hammers so it's all their fault.

Also: 8op"

23. sambob223
    WTF?

Apples an Windows

I've noticed It never takes to long before It comes up someone suggests you use An Apple,or run Linux Instead of the latest version of Windows.....well how about sticking with the OS that you're using now if It's doing what you need It to do and just wait and see If windows 8 Is going to turn Into something you can use.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: how about sticking with the OS that you're using now

Because it's a security headache?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apples an Windows

Because the hardware they were running it on stopped working, and the new replacement hardware won't run it properly?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're both right (and both wrong)

Microsoft is right - most PCs are deeply uninspiring, plasticy, poorly built, poorly executed creaky horrors. There's no joy in buying a new PC any more. To most people, all PCs are pretty much identical and have been powerful enough for the past 5 years.

PC Manufacturers are also right - Windows is a deeply uninspiring, bug-ridden, poorly built, poorly executed creaky horror. There's no joy in buying a new version of Windows. To most people, all OSs are pretty much identical and have been functional enough for the past 5 years.

Then there's HP. Everything they do, be it hardware or software, is absolute sh*t. They are always wrong, regardless of how much effort and cash they expend to be anything else.

1. Nigel 11

HP

Everything they do, be it hardware or software, is absolute sh*t.

Except printers. Which is probably the last hold-out of the old pre-Compaq HP, but for how much longer?

25. Paulusar
    WTF?

Some idiot at M$

M$ decided they wanted in on the iPad market. So some idiot decided to design the next version of Windows to suit tablets and phones. Then the idiot said "How do we get people to buy the Windows 8 touch screen devices?"

Eureka! Foist Windows 8 onto desktops and laptops. The suckers will love it so much that when they buy a tablet or phone they will want Windows 8 on it and not buy iPads.

Well the suckers weren't that stupid, otherwise they would be already buying Apple products.

Now Windows 8 is sinking faster than the Titanic and taking PC makers with it.

The idiot in M$ needs to fired. M$ has only itself to blame.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a bunch of misinfo

Windows 8 doesn't work with MY applications and MY third party hardware (mixing board, effects racks)

Windows 7 doesn't work with MY third party hardware

decided to build up a couple netbooks with win 7 on it after trying win 8 and "defang-ing" the BS GUI out of it and still just hating the fuck out of it.

The only thing these new OS's did is make clear I would be fucked with my expensive audio hardwares... which COST a fuck of a lot more than any Microsoft OS.

Linux is a different topic, I have linux boxes, but they are irrelevant to this discussion, they do the JOBS they were intended.

So that leaves XP on the workstations.

And here's the "propaganda" arguments against this practice of keeping XP.

1. "Either way you cut it, XP has less than 500 days left on the support clock, which means organizations and users need to start taking the conversation seriously if they want to stay ahead of potential problems."

Even with all this noise traveling around the materium, there have BEEN ZERO potential problems here. So what problems was I supposed to have? I don't see them.

2. Security & Windows 8

XP is behind a linux firewall, No problems, I use Nightly, Palemoon, Opera, Chrome, I never needed IE until microsoft killed their FTP off and went with this WGA / Updates crap. If there's no updates, then I can FINALLY set IE to a localhost proxy and slide all the fckin sliders to HIGH, set BITS and Windows Update service to DISABLED, what's not to like?! More speed, and less services.

Want to talk about processes? In win7/8 how about all those shit processes running off the screen on your process hacker. Want to kill Firefox, scroll to the bottom... On XP I have 15 processes, they fit one screen. I instantly KNOW what the fuck is running. IF a worm gets run accidentally D7 (and others) will take care of it. OR I roll back the CLONE.

3. time & cost savings

Long term support - After April 2014,

bagh already covered that, it's behind a firewall, fck support.

Stability - The pro-XP zealots claim that XP is still the most stable OS from Microsoft to date, but the numbers surely don’t support this.

Cooked numbers. Killing unwanted processes and services, is actually something I script. They whine about blue screens and hung apps, but if your box is kept cloned, tuned, clean and debugged, this propaganda is a giant pile of BS. XP gets my work done on time- every time. Those blue screens come from virus's and burned out hardware. OR the occasional deleted file (which I can re-copy from the CLONE)

Money - saved didn't buy jack dookie. Saved ALL my money.

Time - Saved. (my time was spent the last ten years debugging a perfect workstation which has ability to get anything I can possibly want done, the same way, every time)

4. Application compatibility will continue to get worse

Nonsense, it's actually the other way around, win7/8 app compatibility is the one with the problems. But then I am not buying the latest v +.1 incremental version shit all the time either, since nothing is specifically mentioned, it shows this is the propaganda BS it is...

5. emulation

And those companies cringing at the thought of moving off of XP because of old software not functioning under 7 or 8 shouldn’t worry too much. Windows 7 has a wonderful native feature called Windows XP Mode which emulates a full instance of XP Pro under a virtual machine, and seamlessly integrates usage into the primary OS. Windows 8 dropped Windows XP Mode, but has similar functions with the newly included Hyper-V capabilities which replicate 7′s XP Mode in nearly all aspects.

Bagh, virtual doesn't work with real third party hardware which REQUIRES XP.

And speaking on PC's - I've not ran into any machine that can't run XP, so saying that hardware like the motherboard won't run XP is bs, otherwise LINUX wouldn't run on it either. Maybe that old compaq portable 386 won't run it, I digress.

6. Customers (especially business clients) who choose to stick with XP past April 2014 will be leaving themselves open to legal risks, application support sun-setting, and wasted funds on continued maintenance for aging XP machines.

Legal RISKS? wtf is this fear cruft? They don't even NAME anything specific. app support - already said who CARES, I don't use your apps!!? wasted funds on maintenance for aging XP machines? what maintenance?! Fans? Video Card? vs a whole new $2000 computer!? get real.. If we can get more mom and pops to deal with used equipment instead of being brainwashed by the greentards UN agenda 21 crap, to just take it to the electronics cleanup (donation) where they make money grinding everything down to it's elements for recycle. Would you rather pay $600 for a new acer netbook or $99 and then upgrade your netbook with parts to make it better than the $600 one! PC's I have a house full, they will last me the rest of MY life. In short I already paid and prepared.

Conclusion

XP is the BEST OS microsoft ever put out.

The EOL sunsetting date is something Microsoft wrote on a piece of paper, they can destroy that paper and keep selling security patches if they had a fucking open mind. Screw it, let them go the way of APPLE's arrogance and insolence, just don't let nobody say, "Oh I never saw that coming" when there's a 404 eRROR on microsoft.com. We saw it coming, it's just nobody listened.

But there's other things at play here. Politics, Copyright, and the Electronic Civil war (Spying) going on where everything electronic is now being exploited against government's own citizens. How the fuck is win 8 security going to be any better than XP if all your data is being snooped off a fucking FIOS splitter and stored in UTAH? (NSA)

The tablets and netbooks are frankly so small my eyes hurt. I sure ain't using that shit for audio and video production. email, usenet, ftp, ssh, text sure no problem. If that's all you got to do, which is more like a consumer than producer, then win8 is fine for you.

Anyway, this is my little "Blast Back" to Microsoft.

1. All names Taken
      Paris Hilton

Re: What a bunch of misinfo

Apple tried and is trying the same thing... OS or and/or iOS

2. bag o' spanners
      Meh

Re: What a bunch of misinfo

I've managed to get a TC Konnekt 48 running smoothly on Win7 64, but my Focusrite digiboxes require XP 32 for stability and glitch free audio. I still have a Maxi Isis doodling away on a 98SE box, and a Wami Rack as an analogue sub-mixer and wordclock master on a skeleton XP machine. The only rig which cost more than the soundcard on it is the Win7 machine. The odds on these soundcards being supported by Win8 are slim to non-existent.

Like you, I have a serious investment in outboard tech, and only require driver stability. All the garbage and bloat that comes with the OS gets nixed at install, or gets scraped out during the optimisation process. My firewalls consists of a big air gap. If I'm bouncing stuff around, an Adat or gigabit cable will do. Full sessions can travel on Bluray, or on a hotswap from cradle to cradle. 98SE hasn't been supported since the stone age, but my 1999 install still runs tickety boo. One PSU upgrade, a bigger data hd, and a newer graphics card in 13 years is an acceptable running cost. I couldn't tell you when I last had a bluescreen outside an incompatible ASIO driver episode when setting up a new audio gizmo..

More to the point, is the fact that stable software that does a job effectively doesn't need to be replaced or upgraded every twenty minutes. Having install disks for worst possible case scenarios seems to reduce risky behaviour in the first place. Keeping data off system disks and having RAID on the main storage reduces system klutz and panic attacks to a minimum. That only leaves epic brainfarts to contend with.

When my friends tell me that their Win7/Ableton or Mac/Logic laptop rig is disintegrating for the nth time, I try to explain the principles of system maintenance to them, but it's too much like hard work. Their TCO is ridiculous, but for some reason they prefer to work in a looped universe of upgrade/driver incompatibility/upgrade/crash/facebook wailing..

[/olde farte whinge]

27. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Dearest Maximum Leader

Dearest Maximum Leader, I hope you don't mind I call you Steve.

Dearest Steve....

I am one of your minion who was running Windows 7 and have upgraded to Windows 8. Despite what many think, I find that Windows 8 is in fact fine. I hated it at first when I tried the Preview version as I found myself digging around in the corners waiting for this or that charm to pop up. Luckily either I got used to it, or one of your serfs fixed the issue. So overall I find Windows 8 enjoyable. Its' slightly schizophrenic UI took a little getting used to, but like an ex-girlfriend (or several) once I bedded said "Windows 8", I found I could overlook, at least for now, said idiosyncrasies.

So while I find it painful to see Windows 8 unnecessarily slandered, it pains me more to think that you are allowing your august presence and the Microsoft company, which we will refer in the future as Elysium, to be sullied by what appears to be self-deception.

So while it seems to this lowly minion, that your messaging in the Channel and to your end user was often opaque and failed to communicate the positive features of the new OS in favor of a series of superficial images who's meaning eludes me. That furthermore you likely ignored feedback from customers when you yanked items like the "start button" from the desktop version or your Windows 8, and removed the ability of your customers to boot into either UI version per their wishes. It also occurs to me that the Elysium Fields has been polluted by an internal culture that fails to see internal departments of said company as internal customers who's input and cooperation is required. Such being the case that heaven is turned into hell, it appears that your minions have been turned out to taunt and torment your poor customers with opaque messages on your customer service boards.

I fear that the sound of my gnashing teeth can be heard even there in Mount Olympus, err Seattle. I do apologize for my intrusion and do humbly suggest that you get your shit together post haste....

bh

28. janimal
    Go

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

First against the wall when the revolution comes....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

Dear Sir,

If your comment is directed at me, I would like to suggest that your humor recognition chip is defective. A replacement or a microcode update may be required. Given said defect, I would expect your response will be problematic. Given said likelihood, my second suggestion is one that would be inappropriate to write in a public forum.

29. TheWeddingPhotographer

MS are simply confusing what they think we want, with what we actually need

Businesses need a simple stable OS, and a secure platform for workers to work productively (not play) with

Family's are looking for a simple to use computer that has no surprises

Only rich idiots can afford to upgrade every time a new phone / computer / tablet / OS comes out

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Family's"? I think you're looking for an OS with a spell checker.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: spell checker

Grammar checker

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Pint

MS are simply confusing...

> what they think we want,

Excuse me; should clearly be corrected to

> what they think they want

because it's all about pointing the wooden plane in the direction of a quite likely mythical "future market" that has something to do with mobility, relentlessmediaconsumption and touchscreens with a cloud mixed in, then doing the cargo cult dance and hope the bird flies. This market they hope to "monetize" with extreme prejudice by keeping competitors out, OEMs down and punters' wallets open, forever. And this, lazily - with one single product that shall be the same for everyone. Yah, fuck off, Microsoft. These ain't the 90's anymore.

1. Ramazan

Re: with one single product that shall be the same for everyone

You know, Gates tried to do this (unified Windows) with original Xbox and Xbox 360, but it wasn't technically/financially possible then... Probably he thinks the time has come now

30. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

Ad campaign fail

U 2 kan bee a W8 klone too?

31. Captain DaFt

Note to Ballmer

If you *really and truly* believe all that praise you've been heaping on Win 8 and all it's alliterations... Please check your shoes.

If that smell's not from something you've stepped in, then you actually don't know shit from Shinola!

32. Chad H.

As I look a the article on this pass through, there's an add from Cruical encouraging me to buy more ram for my Windows 7 system.

They know what their customers want....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like