back to article Why Teflon Ballmer had to go: He couldn't shift crud from Windows 8, Surface

Microsoft chief exec Steve Ballmer has gone sooner than anyone, even he himself, had expected. On Friday he announced he will give up the reins following a 12-month transition. A one-year exit is proper given Ballmer’s position: the CEO of a major listed company. What’s strange, however, is the timing - that Ballmer should be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. revdjenk

win for me?

win for me?

Have an older friend (70+) who returned a new win8 laptop less than a week after purchase (coming from XP), came back from the store with a laptop with win7 installed.

Now, a month later, having problems with and doesn't like the new MSOffice (ribbon interface). Helped go through an install of LibreOffice today. "This is better than the Office I paid for! I like it."

Now, maybe she'll take a look at Linux... as her win7 is also bogging down.

... which would make a lie of two more "strengths" of Ballmer's

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'the crud'

the crud, in my entirely honest opinion is almost everything they've layered on since Windows 2000.

I know the Linux hardcore will laugh but Windows used to be a good solid OS that put you in the driving seat and quietly keep out of your way letting you get on with things.

From the point Windows 2000 was released Microsoft had two choices for future direction, either layer it up with novelty gimmicks, or start adding even more complex and powerful features for the more hardcore OS users to take advantage of while maintaining a solid platform for everybody else.

They went with the novelty option, killed off the 9x line, made XP a general consumer OS and started integrating all the crud that would have otherwise found it's way into the gimmicky consumer OS line into the serious NT based one. What they're doing by combining Windows with the modern phone interface is actually similar, another layer of gimmicky garbage from another thread of Windows being forced on people who just want the serious one.

As a direct result of all this Windows 8 is simply the point where that pile of crud has fallen over, people have started waking up and saying 'what the hell is this?'

Maybe from a business point of view it made sense, leave the hardcore minority to Linux, sell the OS with pretty features and gimmicks, drive up the profits by showing attractive screenshots and hyping up half-assed functionality that could already be handled better with 3rd party software. It did work at first, it kept the profits rolling in year on year but you can only keep that up while ignoring the serious side of the OS for so long.

I don't envy whoever the new CEO is, (s)he is going to have a huge mess to clear up. Years of neglect of the core operating system features, years of leaving a bad taste in the mouths of users through over-promising and under-delivering and forcing user-hostile changes like the ribbon (retrain everybody!), windows activation (refusing to trust your customers) and most recently the whole half-180 start button/menu (still won't give people what they've asked for), catastrophic Surface sales and an XBox 1 showing that had even the common rabble with their pitchforks out.

It's going to take years to undo that damage and unless Shareholders are actually willing to see profits slide while Microsoft tone down the 'what we want at all costs' approach and reinvent themselves as a good company with the customer at heart again then nothing will change with or without Ballmer. The share surge is optimistic.

T

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge
      Flame

Re: 'the crud'

Rather like Ubuntu then !

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'the crud'

Why does WindowsServer2012 have the noddy interface?

That says it all, it is pointless for a server in every respect (at least in its current form).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ballmer - the Rick Berman of Microsoft.

That is all.

5. Lars Silver badge
    Go

Look at the bright side

Ballmer is rich and old enough to leave, high time, no problems there. Ballmer was always supported by Gates. Gates supported very much the "one approach" from phones to every possible device, a new again nice approach to have control of the user. the market, the interface. Too late or too soon, who knows, who cares. The problem with Microsoft is elsewhere. Microsoft become an organisation where infiltrating governments around the world and OEMs and "standards" become the number one task of that organisation. If you think Start buttons or ribbons was of any interest for Ballmer & Co then think again. Those silly details where left to the "niggers" at the bottom. Many decided to leave. And If you are at the bottom of the organisation then how would you gain any attention with out some gimmicks like those, stuff you can demonstrate within the five minutes you have. I may be wrong but hardly very wrong. And who cares, I do not.

6. Kev99 Silver badge

Ever notice how much Ballmer looks like Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester or the monster in Young Frankenstein?

7. ewozza
    Mushroom

Windows 8 - why I left Windows

Well not entirely, but I'm sooo glad I never had to deal with building surface apps. The horror stories from my mates who are still within the clutches of Redmond make me more than happy with my decision.

Nowdays I create mobile apps - for Apple and Android. A much happier place to be!

http://www.desirableapps.com

8. Credo

What's the point of creating a revolution, when evolution works?

I'm sat here at my Windows XP workhorse (My other PC's on Win 7).. , reading the comments on why Windows 8 is a failure and how Ballmer has committed career suicide, and I'm betting that a "beeeellion" PC users are sat in exactly the same way as I am,... Arms on the desk, forearms comfortably supported and the only thing I need to move to scroll down the page is my index finger,... minimum of effort.

I'm NOT lazy,... but this feels natural.

If I was reading this on my tablet or had a touch screen, there would be a whole lot more energy expended,... just to read a page of amusing text.,... ?

If someone wants to invent "direct screen control from retina detection" or a "mind controller for the cursor", that would be great, but so far, my mouse is still the best option. And maybe that's where MSFT have missed the point,...

You can get away with introducing "disruptive technologies" when there are clear advantages, efficiency gains or financial benefits, but if all you're giving back is an increased workload and substantial re-training costs, maybe it's best to think twice.

1. mmeier

Re: What's the point of creating a revolution, when evolution works?

No, it would not. Standard desktop in Win8 works exactly the same as WinNT

A tablet pc is used totally different like a classic unit. They are used like a A4 pad or a book

1. Jess

Standard desktop in Win8 works exactly the same as WinNT

No it doesn't. It keeps jumping back to Metro. Horribly jarring, and it still does it with classic installed.

Were that true then there would be no problem.

If windows 8 had the 2000 shell and no metro it would be an excellent system.

And why don't metro apps work on the desktop? It's not still the 1980s

1. mmeier

Re: Standard desktop in Win8 works exactly the same as WinNT

It jumps back to Modern if you call up the start menu. How often does one do this? And how is that "jarring"

Sorry, disbelieve

9. Mikel

+1 presentation

The red Youtube button in the top video stands in for a clown nose nicely.

10. bryanbr

Where is Microsoft's Edward Snowden?

This post is a public plea for someone within Microsoft to come forward with documentation on the rationale behind the recent apparent loss of all reason and common sense by the company.

Please, please come forward now!

The actions of this company make no sense to us. We are bewildered by the illogical behavior of Microsoft's direction.

Everyone knows that to ruin the useability of Windows by the utter donkey skit that is the Metro Interface makes no sense. There must be some greater reason behind these mysterious decisions that Microsoft has recently under taken.

So give us an internal memo or two! There must have been voices of intelligence within Microsoft who argued against the self-destructive path that it has recently undertaken.

Let us know why Microsoft is committing public suicide.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: Where is Microsoft's Edward Snowden?

For some peek-in, see http://minimsft.blogspot.com + anonymous comments there

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised he has been there so long

I worked on OS2 for IBM and met Gates once (hugely impressive). I also attended one or two Balmer meetings (hugely unimpressive). Maybe this is just hindsight but my impression was that Balmer was Gates' bully boy, so when Balmer took over it was a bit like the bouncer taking over the nightclub, which (with apologies to all bouncers everywhere) is not a recipe for success.

The difficulty for the board/shareholders/customers of large companies is that problems with a change of leadership take a long time to show through, and will take a long time to correct.

12. PeterFV

Hatchet man

Gates needed a hatchet man. Balmer was perfect.

Hatchet men don't run great corporations.

13. Aldous
    FAIL

Suprised it took this long

The Microsoft response to MP3 players when the market was obviously Apple vs Small brands ? Lets take on Apple, unleash the Zune!

The Microsoft response to tablets which again is Apple versus the small brands? Lets delay until Apple are firmly entrenched and then create a premium device to get the premium users (most of who are now Apple acolytes on there 2nd or 3rd iPad)

The Microsoft response to phones which was Apple vs Android? Create a separate OS, bolt it on to the phones of a dying company (Nokia) and wonder why people are not buying it. No consideration to the $$'s people have tied up in Apple/Android apps and again tarket the premium market (in which Samsung and Apple are fighting trench warfare)

On the desktop where they have no real competitor (although Macs have gained some ground it is minuscule in the world wide desktop population). They create an OS fit for a Tablet, call anyone that does not like it a luddite and instructs everyone to get a touch screen. HIlarity ensues as the world does a Vista 2.0 and hangs on to 7 (or even xp)!

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

I remember Microsoft!

They still going then?

15. kwv-dc

The most destructive mistake in strategic planning was the decision to compete with Apple as a hardware producer. Acer has annnounced that it will focus on Chrome and Android. HP sells the Revolve primarily as Windows 7 device. Microsoft can not possibly compete with the variety of innovative designs of the many OEMs.

Even if Microsoft suceeded in hardware, it would raise issues of monopoly, likely leading to a break-up.

Microsoft should have set standards for Windows 8 touch "leap-frogged" competitive products, as Intel did with "Ultrabooks."

There are a variety of interesting products on the market using touch Windows 8 ( LeNovo Twist, Asus Transformer Book 13.3, Asus Taichi, Samsung Ativ ( second gen). Dell XPS 18, Dell XPS 27 .... but all fall short of desireable standards: backlit keyboards, 1 TB HD or 512 GB SSD, full HD or higher screens, 4G LTE, incorporated multiledia, stylus support.

MS could have set these features as a qualifying standard for Win * "Touch" designation.

Microsoft stores are mostly empty, especially compared with Apple stores. Now Samsung amd Microsoft ( separately ) will take space in Best Buy stores .... hopefull staffed with more competence than BB employees.

Unless Microsofts abandons the hardware market, I would suggest the OEMS set-up a software and operating system alliance and develop a Linux variant ( similar to Ubuntu ).

Windows 8 touch with both desktop and apps can be revitalized, but from I've read on Windows 8.1, Microsoft stll doesn't understand the desktop v app potential and users desire to control all aspects of the software experience ....

16. KPz

Surface

When Surface was announced, my immediate thought was "Windows in a tablet format? Able to run my desktop apps, and more specifically games? Even if it'd be quite a bit slower than my gaming PC, it'd be able to run Civ 5, Crusader Kings II, loads of Indie games. They could be onto something. I'd buy one".

And then of course it transpires that no, Surface wasn't really Windows on a tablet, but a cobbled together mess on a different hardware platform, that hardly any developer was supporting. Yep, the technical challenges would be tough (getting an x86 into that form factor with decent graphics and not suck the life out of any small battery in a couple of hours), but it would have been worth it. After all, being able to run PC apps on a decent sized tablet? Yes siree. But moving to ARM, removing that compatibility factor, meant that Surface was DOA.

1. mmeier

Re: Surface

Windows/x86 on a tablet pc is a very old hat, at least half a decade older than the iHype (WinXP/Tablet Edition, 2003)

And the matching hardware exists for the same time. Since around 2010/11 the Atom based units where added and SSD became the typical storage making the boxes more rugged.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
        FAIL

And I can buy one of those x86 tabs that have been available since 2003... where, exactly?

It simply goes to show how badly Ballmer has mismanaged MS the last decade.

1. mmeier

Amazon has a nice choice from

Lenovo (Helix and TPT2, some X2x0)

Samsung (Ativ500 and 700t, some Slate7)

Sony (Vaio Duo 11 and 13)

Asus (TF810, Taichi and some EP/B121)

Fujitsu (T90x and T73x)

Dell (Latitude 10)

just to name the ones with Wacom or NTrig inductive digitisers that pop up on Amazon.de. And Amazon has offered them for the last few years (got my current private one there in early 2011). Before that - just visit the next HP/Lenovo/Fujitsu dealer and they sold you.

17. kwv-dc

Microsofts most destructive mistake in strategic planning was the decision to compete with Apple as a hardware producer. Acer has announced that it will focus on Chrome and Android. HP sells the Revolve primarily as Windows 7 device. Microsoft cannot compete with the variety of innovative designs of the many OEMs.

Even if Microsoft succeeded in hardware, it would raise issues of monopoly, likely leading to a break-up.

Microsoft should have set standards for Windows 8 touch "leap-frogged" competitive products, as Intel did with "Ultrabooks."

There are a variety of interesting products on the market using touch Windows 8 ( LeNovo Twist, Asus Transformer Book 13.3, Asus Taichi, Samsung Ativ ( second gen). Dell XPS 18, Dell XPS 27 .... but all fall short of desirable standards: backlit keyboards, 1 TB HD or 512 GB SSD, full HD or higher screens, 4G LTE, incorporated multimedia, stylus support.

MS could have set these features as a qualifying standard for Win * "Touch" designation.

Microsoft stores are mostly empty, especially compared with Apple stores. Now Samsung and Microsoft ( separately ) will take space in Best Buy stores .... hopefully staffed with more competence than BB employees.

Unless Microsoft abandons the hardware market, I would suggest the OEMS set-up a software and operating system alliance and develop a Linux variant ( similar to Ubuntu ).

Windows 8 touch with both desktop and apps can be revitalized, but from I've read on Windows 8.1, Microsoft still doesn't understand the desktop v app potential and users desire to control all aspects of the software experience ....

18. stratofish

'Windows 8.1 “continues the vision we began with Windows 8”'

Should have gone to Specsavers.

1. Captain DaFt

Or checked ito a rehab clinic to detox.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

XP versus Windows 7 versus Vista

I'm more of a Linux user than anything else - but I'm forced to use a Windows machine now and then. From my consumer perspective they look, feel and react pretty much identically (except XP doesn't have the search-for-an-app thing, which is useful). People who presumably know much more than me say that XP and 7 are good and Vista is pants. So from a consumer perspective how are these three windows o/s different? What am I missing?

(I discount Windows 8 because even from my consumer perspective I can see it is pants - and I hope I never have to re-train the entire extended family how to use it - my mother can barely operate Vista since it came out).

1. Aldous

Re: XP versus Windows 7 versus Vista

Xp was pretty stable when Vista was released. Vista needed much more ram and cpu horsepower then microsoft said. This lead to a load of low end pc's sold as vista ready when they were not. VIsta was buggy and a resource hog for a long time so most people skipped it and stuck at xp.

When 7 came out it took the good bits of vista and xp and ended up with a decent version of windows. MS seem to alternate:

win95 (good)

win98(ok)

Windows ME (kill with fire)

Windows xp (good)

Windows vista (crap)

Windows 7 (good)

Windows 8 (fuck you this is a PC not a tablet)

1. Tufty Squirrel

Alternating versions - cobblers

That one keeps coming up, but it's, amongst other things, :

1 : forgetting Win2K

2 : forgetting that XP was almost universally loathed until at least SP2 ("Tinkertoy interface"), and was pretty much crap until SP3.

20. promytius

tardis solution

Back to ten minutes before Gates gets to the garage sale; I buy it and burn it! Muhaaaaaaaaa.

21. The Grump

win95 (good)

win98(ok)

Windows ME (kill with fire)

Windows xp (great - the last OS that remembered where you opened a previous program window, so you don't have to move them where you want them EVERY...SINGLE...TIME)

Windows vista (crap)

Windows 7 (slightly less craptastic than Vista)

Windows 8 (f**k you this is a PC not a tablet) - [censored, think of the children]

1. Dan Paul
      Devil

Grump,

Your timeline is missing Win98SE which was the only decent 9X version and regular XP still sucked and was only good if you got XP Pro and how could you think that Win 7 was "slightly less craptastic than Vista" when NOTHING could be close to as craptastic as Fista (except a barg full of NYC garbage in late summer).

IMHO Win 7 Pro is close to the pinnacle of what MS has ever done. The only bad thing is that UAC has never had the granularity to allow you to shut off the nagging without losing the functionality. The rest is quite good but again still lacking some functionality.

22. Nym

You guys are too picky

I hate: all programmers, computers, designers, computer sellers and people who claim to be innovative...or, come to think of it, maybe I just hate everyone, including me.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like