back to article Microsoft buys Nokia's mobile business

Microsoft has announced it is buying Nokia's mobile devices and services business. Revealed in a flurry of press releases in the small hours of Tuesday, the deal will see Microsoft “pay EUR 3.79 billion to purchase substantially all of Nokia’s Devices & Services business, and EUR 1.65 billion to license Nokia’s patents, for a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

scuppers everyone's hope of a Nokia android

Ah well, Nokia RIP. Before you had little chance of survival, now you have none at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: scuppers everyone's hope of a Nokia android

Nokia has been around since 1865 and this isn't their first brush with death.

They do produce products other than phones and they are making profits in those markets. It is the smartphone division that is tanking.

2. ColonelClaw

Out of Interest...

Does anyone know what the Nokia phone business was worth when Elop first arrived?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia bought for less cash than Skype?!

just mental

4. noboard

bargain

$5 billion dollars seems pretty cheap for all those patents. If I was a shareholder I'd be crying foul right now.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: bargain

MS only has a 10 year licence. Nokia still have the Patents. MS didn't buy Nokia, only the phone division.

5. Rob Thorley

Spare two bob for a cup o' tea, guv'nor?

Full revenues for 2012 for the part of the business sold to MSFT were $15bn.

To buy that for $5bn sounds cheap.

In fact I might pop to Barclays and see if I can get a short term loan, $5bn at 5%, and pocket the rest.

1. Tom 7

Re: Spare two bob for a cup o' tea, guv'nor?

That's revenues - not profits. Given that it was profitable on 28 billion euro in 2010 I'd guess we're talking annual losses of $5Billion now.

MS wanted the longterm patenting agreements with Qualcomm - I guess they know they wont make any money out of selling phones but hope to easily get their money back by screwing little android producers and harassing the bigger ones in the US courts.

Or they could have just lost it completely and are clutching at any straw to make it look like they are in the game still.

6. James 51

So, how much would this have cost M$ before Elop ran them into the ground?

Also, how long before Microsoft declare their phone division to be another Zune?

1. h4rm0ny

"So, how much would this have cost M$ before Elop ran them into the ground?"

Nokia were in dire straits before their initial partnership with MS. You think they just accepted MS's massive cash injection and conditions for the lulz? Nokia have actually recovered somewhat under Elop with growing phone sales. Your timelines are all out of whack.

1. James 51

Elop killed any potential for long term independant growth. Completely gutted R&D. Windows only stragety. The day he joined Nokia a lot of people on these forums were saying this was exactly what was going to happen.

1. h4rm0ny

"Elop killed any potential for long term independant growth. Completely gutted R&D"

Nokia had barely any money before the cash injection by MS. They had to sell of their own head quarters! And you think Elop is responsible for shutting down some thriving R&D division? Facts are against you.

And an Appeal to Authority argument has never been as flawed as just now, when you use opinions of posters on these forums as your authority! You may have noticed just the teensiest bit of bias around these parts.

Then again, you may not. ;)

1. James 51

Just because we're baised doesn't mean we were wrong. Nokia's biggest hope of selling high end smart phones at the moment is the 1020. The research needed to make that possible started what was it, six or seven years ago and first saw the light of day in the 808. It has the wow factor needed to shift expensive products in a competitive market place. Where is the next big innovation going to come from? You can't compete at the top end of the market without it and Nokia just don't have it any more and that's where most of the money is made. The slow pace of development for Windows 8 phones in general doesn't bode well.

BTW were did all those patients that Microsoft just licenced just come from?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Disharmony

Your timeline needs adjusting, as do your spectacles. You could start by learning to read and read some Nokia annual reports (closely) for the period just prior to and just after Elop's arrival.

Your comments are mindless, illinformed drivel.

2. James 51

Nokia were basically without a phone they could sell for over a year after Elop told the world our phones are crap, don't buy them and then took his sweet time in getting the new improved models out (I know it takes a while to develop a new range but why didn't he wait till he crossed that bridge before he burned it?). They could have started selling tin cans and string and their figures would have gotten a dead cat bounce.

7. PaulR79

Ballmer the comedian

"penned by Steve Ballmer that says Microsoft's partnership with Nokia has gone so well that "

Oh Steve... you sure know how to joke about your awful leadership. Next you'll be telling us that Surface was a roaring success.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sad day indeed

I have this suspicion that somehow Microsoft got the news about the N9 (from people at Intel? Some Symbian jealous VP at Nokia?), which was the new future for Nokia. Without Nokia burning their Symbian base and dismantling the MeeGo efforts, where would be Microsoft? Samsung just releasing windows phones for the sake of not being bullied by Redmond, HTC idem ibidem...so, here we are now. But you know what? If even with Elop at the reigns of Nokia, Microsoft its not capable of releasing new updates with the "wow" factor of windows phone, its not buying Nokia they will do it. Developers know how Microsoft drops support for their own technologies very easily and often. A pint of Jollia bartender!

9. A J Stiles

This could be the best thing ever

If a bunch of ex-Nokia peeps jump ship and start a company building Android (or some other OS; but it absolutely must have an emulator capable of running either Android or iPhone apps, and I know which one is easier) mobiles specifically not for sale in the USA (this is not difficult in practice, as they just have to make them GSM-only and therefore incompatible with US networks) then they won't need to pay bogus royalties to Microsoft for patents which don't apply outside the USA.

The new startup probably won't ever reclaim the crown Nokia once held, when that tune was the most-recognised piece of music on the planet; but with some of Nokia's expertise on board, a decent OS (and therefore, app collection) and immunity from extortion, they could still do well.

If Nokia wanted to blow Microsoft a final raspberry, there's also still time for them to turn over all of their remaining IP to the Public Domain while the ink is drying.

10. Christopher Rogers

So the Elop plan finally paid off for MS. Maybe now MS can get WinPho8 into a competitive position. Looking forward to a post Ballamer MS hardware division.

11. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Surely, this means Elop is going to be the new MS CEO?

Because what I can see happening is any sane CEO going "right, let's ditch all the loss making businesses. Now."

Making an acquisition like this during a CEO-transition phase makes zero business sense... unless you already have your new CEO ready, and the direction for the next five years pre-agreed and mapped out.

My question is whether the MS shareholders will like this deal. And if they don't, are there enough of them upset about it to actually do anything about it?

12. Mr. Peterson
    Happy

NOW! WINDOWS 8.whatever WITH A FREE WINDOWS PHONE IN EVERY BOX!

GET YOURS WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

it could happen - and it would be totally Cracker Jack™

http://www.imprintitems.com/custom/9336162

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"NOW! WINDOWS 8.whatever WITH A FREE WINDOWS PHONE IN EVERY BOX!"

Yes I do hope I get a free Lumia 1020 with my Xbox One.....

1. Belardi
        Childcatcher

That's easy to do... with so few people wanting to actually own an xbox1, giving away a phone is easy.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

almost like stealing

Before Elop changed Nokia stategy, during 2010, Nokia's total handset unit generated 28.6B Euros of revenues, profitably. Now sold for 5B (https://twitter.com/tomiahonen)

14. Jon Gibbins

"The Lumia range is therefore now Microsoft's and 32,0000 Nokia employees will become Redmondians."

How many???

15. RealBigAl

Management consultants

will be paid a fortune to come up with a name for the merged company. After months of expensive analysis they'll settle on

Microsoft

rather than the more obvious

Mokia

16. Goat Jam

LOL

In 2010 Nokia had a market cap of $50BN, Stephen Elop, a Microsoft executive becomes CEO and three years later MS buys Nokia for $7Bn.

And then Elop immediatlly becomes a MS exec again.

Honestlly, who could have predicted that?

OK, stand in line everyone, no pushing at the back.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: LOL

"three years later MS buys Nokia for $7Bn."

Fail. Microsoft havn't bought Nokia.

1. Bod

"Fail. Microsoft havn't bought Nokia"

There's nothing left of Nokia after what they have bought however. Stripped assets, throw the remains on the tip. They've still got what they wanted.

1. h4rm0ny
          Mushroom

"There's nothing left of Nokia after what they have bought however. Stripped assets, throw the remains on the tip. They've still got what they wanted."

Stop talking about what you know nothing about. Nokia has a market cap of 19bn and MS have just bought a division of Nokia for 5bn. Unless you think that MS some how pulled off the sale of the century or that the remaining 14bn in market value is just stupendously inflated stock (Nokia - inflated, yeah right!), then you're of necessity wrong. Nokia have telecoms networks, routing equipment, services, store chains (just not in the USA) and has a number of subsidiaries.

You do not know what you're talking about, so stop, read, instead of chasing recommends on websites.

1. Bod
            Thumb Down

A market cap that has dropped from $40bn in the last 2 years (and was over $200bn back in 2000) and yes what does the remainder represent without Devices and Services? A division that includes all the feature phones.

Yes, MS have got a sale of the century. They have a mobile brand, access to patents and manufacturing business for next to nothing relatively. What remains (some $12bn if you like, if you're talking US$ when quoting $19bn, so $19bn - $7bn for the purchase, not 5) is perhaps the true value, or maybe inflated. I think the latter still a little, but anyway. We'll see what the market thinks of the company when it has no mobile phone business, smart or otherwise.

When you think of Nokia in the future when it comes to other than mobile phones, who are they? Little more than a mom & pop outfit dabbling in this and that with no special qualities.

17. smartypants

Nokia stopped being a 50 billion dollar company because:

a) Elop

b) Like blackberry, they were drowned by the advance of ios and android

I'm sure we all agreed a while back that it was b. Must we revise history?

(Please don't punish me too hard!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nokia stopped being a 50 billion dollar company because:

I agree with you, but not hating Elop certainly seems to gather downvotes around here. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to use downvotes to mean "I disagree".

2. James 51

Re: Nokia stopped being a 50 billion dollar company because:

Elop's windows only stragety is the reason why nokia could not release an android handset.

18. Atonnis

Blah blah blah

Blah blah blah....trojan horse.....blah blah blah....told you so.....blah blah blah.....<insert Ballmer-related insult here, something to do with bald, chair throwing, etc>....blah blah blah....

Although it will earn me a massive wave of downvotes, the sad truth is that Nokia was steadily heading for Shit-City before Microsoft came along. Despite the overweening and somewhat cultish fondness a vocal minority of people seem to have around Symbian, it was a dying platform that needed the plug pulled. The last Nokia phones with it on were crap.

Anyone who didn't see the Microsoft acquisition of Nokia looming from the outset is dangerously naive, and I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Blah blah blah

"it was a dying platform that needed the plug pulled. The last Nokia phones with it on were crap."

Indeed, that's why they had the MeeGo project. Unfortunately, internal wars (Symbian camp...) barred the N9 to be a reality before the Elopation

19. Dave 44
    Coat

updates..

so do I have to update my phone every second Tuesday of each month?

1. Getriebe

Re: updates..

If you have an asymetric hair cut, wear ironical knitwear, work near Old Street you are doing this already.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not so far. Near zero security vulnerabilities and no Malware in WP. It is build on a secure microkernel architecture, so is very hard to exploit.

Unlike IOS and Android.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the actual numbers IIRC are more like 1% of the malware market is aimed at WP (same as iOS also on 1%), Older Nokia phones get around 19% of the malware pie with unfortunately the Android Phone diorama attracting in the high 70+%'s - BEWARE!

last time I updated my WP it took until 2 am!!!! discover/download/install/wait-restart/rebuild-about seven times in a row (M$ kept promising that each new d/l contained all previous WP d/l's but it sure didn't seem that way)

Still, WP phones have almost the correct security/performance/price point at present - but they must be more heavily attacked than iOS based as how there isn't the market penetration of Apple?... maybe you have better figures?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

No, even the bad guys ignore WP

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meego would have saved them

I love my N9

To this day it's a brilliant, feature complete smartphone.

Elop killed it. His MSFT masters did not want a superb linux based smartphone completing with their WinPho offerings. Side by side, there's no comparison. And Elop killed it without having a WP handset for some time.

So while Nokia had problems they were 1000 times worse after Elop had his way.

And look, he's welcomed back to Redmond. They'll have a 'mission accomplished' banner above the door.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: meego would have saved them

Sorry no. This is not true.

(Posting ANON for a reason.)

The battle was lost because of a lack of apps when competing with "We've got an App for that' which is available across the platforms sold, not just the phone.

The problem with the older Nokia phones was that they never understood how the rest of the world organized their data and the apps were a pain in the ass to deal with.

Microsoft tossed a shit load of money at them so they couldn't refuse.

Had Nokia been able to turn things around... maybe. But they couldn't.

One thing for certain... you're going to see changes in Nokia.

21. fuzzie

Does that mean we'll get HERE maps and associated services on non-Windows Phone platforms? While HERE's places of interest and traffic info can be a bit spotty, the fully offline navigation abilities still leave the competition in the dust. I still get quarterly map updates for my old Nokia N8 maps and the entire country fits into about 104MB.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the fully offline navigation abilities still leave the competition in the dust."

Last time I used Nokia Maps the routing algorithm was awful. They improved it?

2. h4rm0ny

Re: HERE maps.

"Does that mean we'll get HERE maps and associated services on non-Windows Phone platforms?"

Potentially. But keep in mind that Google compete with that with their own maps so they'll do everything they can to keep it off Android. And as we've seen, they can play quite dirty when they want.

Still, it's quite possible that Nokia will release a HERE maps app for Android. If only for the lulz in seeing Google contorting to stop them. ;)

Apple have invested quite a bit in their own mapping system, but there's no reason they can't licence some of the HERE data / technology. It's clearly better than their own and one of their main motivations was not to be dependent on their chief competitor (Google) for a vital service. Nokia will no longer be a competitor (or far, far, far less so), so I could see that happening. Not saying it would, saying it could.

And then there's Tizen. I see Samsung making a big push with Tizen in the next few years. It would make excellent sense for them to licence HERE maps.

So in summary: we don't know, but there are reasons why we might see Nokia HERE services on other phones. It's certainly in Nokia's interest, has little downside and MS don't really care that much and can't stop them if they did.

22. 5.antiago

Oh well

I thought the partnership approach was quite strong, with the software guys doing the software and the hardware guys doing the hardware. I never felt Nokia had the Android option - they would have been just another HTC - so the Windows Phone route was clever. But then Microsoft didn't do their end of the bargain, massively hindering Nokia's turnaround. Still, the partnership could have worked.

Now it looks a lot like Nokia's mobile business is entering the final fuck-up stage. RIP

23. Eguro
    Coat

Okay!

In a perfect world this could turn out to spell great success for Nokia.

They still have their patents. MSFT is simply taking over the smart-phone divisions. (As far as I've understood it)

Nokia can spend all that money to (re)develop an OS, produce a wonderfully awesome phone. Hardware like a Lumia but without Winpho. Winpho will die since only MSFT will be producing phones using it. In a few years Nokia can smile and wave at Elop - as he leaves his chair as MSFT to "pursue other endeavours".

Presumably the powers that will remain at Nokia aren't daft, and if everyone here at El Reg saw this deal coming years ago, then perhaps they did too.

Enough wishful thinking for one comment. Harsh reality may soon bite again, but not until my fantasy-bubble coat is worn down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

No mobiles for Nokia

Anyone who think that Microsoft will allow Nokia to develop a new mobile business must be living within a near field distortion a la Apple...if anyone was on Microsoft feet, will you agreed with it?

1. Philip Lewis

Re: No mobiles for Nokia

It will be in the contract. I think I read the quarantine was less than 3 years somewhere else.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like