back to article Windows 8.1: Microsoft's reluctant upgrade has a split-screen personality

Microsoft will release Windows 8.1, a free update for Windows 8, on 18 October. The plan had been for no pre-release code until then, but Microsoft has back-tracked. The release to manufacturing (RTM) code is now available early to developers and IT professionals via Microsoft’s MSDN and TechNet subscription sites. There are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. mmeier

Re: hmmm

Oh, Win8 isn't a must have. But a good Windows convertible is. Why have two units, two sets of programs, two sets of UI concepts and tons of synchronisation hassles when lil old T731 can do both jobs?

1. kwv-dc

Win 8.1 Wonderful? Not likely !!!

Win 8.1 net-centric ?? Wonderul for the billion having decent net access ..... not so brilliant for the 6 billion having little or no net access. Actually, considering the latencies in Office 2013, its not even wonderful for those with 100 Mbs.

Let's see, if MS/Ballmer can add another 25,000 programers, they can fix this Win 8.1 baby.

By the way, compared to Sugarsync, SkyDrive is simply awful.

I must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed this sunny September morning here in Moscow, Russia !!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Win 8.1 Wonderful? Not likely !!!

In five years time, Windows 8 and Metro will be looked upon in the same way as Windows ME and Microsoft Bob.

In the meantime best to stock up on Windows 7 OEM disks, whilst seeing if the next release of Mint's Cinnamon is as stable as Mint 13 with MATE, in case "Metrosoft" pull more silly tricks with Windows 9.

2. ByeLaw101

I only want one option - "Disable Metro", is that in 8.1?

3. PaulR79

Split-screen pointless

I've tried to see the case for having split-screen apps and I just can't see it. On x86 you can use the normal Windows 7+ screen snapping as well as resize the windows to your choices. On ARM you .... can't run desktop apps so you're stuck with apps and this is the only way to run two apps....... ah now I see the point! Try to make the ARM experience a little closer to the x86 one and hope that users will accept it.

Aside from price concerns this is the single biggest reason to go for x86 over ARM. It seems not even Microsoft have a clue what ARM / RT is best at since their ads focused on some shity High School Musical inspired ad with lots of dancing and showcasing a stand that clicks.

4. JeffinLondon

Still a multi-headed hydra so no thanks.

Why not a Mobile, touch OS and a heads down desktop OS a la Apple is beyond me.

Two swings and two misses, Microsoft. You're down in the count and have only one swing left.

1. Squander Two

"Why not a Mobile, touch OS and a heads down desktop OS a la Apple is beyond me."

Because they're already being trounced by Apple on that front. They've decided that the best way to compete with the iPad is to offer something it doesn't: the ability to convert to a fully functional PC, and no need to purchase separate software for two separate devices. You can argue (and I think it's safe to say people are arguing) about whether Windows 8 is a good approach to that strategy, but I think the strategy itself was a good one.

2. mmeier

Because two OS with two sets of UI behaviours are extra hassle at keep data synchronised etc. A Windows convertible fills both roles quite nicely since 2003 and Modern adds benefits for the "touchy fans" while being at least as good (and sometimes better) than Win7 for the pen, keyboard and mice users

1. Rattus Rattus

Funny, my Windows 7 desktop, Linux laptop, and Android tablet all have different OSs and UIs and they are no extra hassle at all. I move my data easily and freely between them all with much less effort than it takes to even work out how to configure settings in Windows 8. And while the W8 interface might be good for the touchy feely types, I absolutely reject your assertion that it is as good with mouse and keyboard as Windows 7, because that is simply not the case. Using W8 with a mouse is a complete pain in the arse.

1. mmeier

Well Mr. Rat - I do not believe your claims!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I believe his claims. I have used both Windows 8 and downloaded the Windows 8.1 preview to give it a chance. Classic shell plus removing all the Metro file associations does indeed produce reasonable results, but what's the point? Easier and more productive just to use Windows 7, rather than mess about with banishing Metro, which has no benefit on the desktop. I am sure knocking out Aero amongst other things may make it appear faster or more stable, but on a reasonable spec desktop, I have never felt Windows 7 to be slow, and I haven't personally had it crash more than a couple of times in the whole time I have used it. Anyone would think that it had the stability of 3.1 or ME, the way Windows 8 defenders go on about it now.

Again, where are the killer programs that make Metro desirable? Why should a desktop user want it? Even Linux is now preferable on the desktop to Metro. All the arguments that can be thrown against Linux (lack of commercial software - i.e. Photoshop or Microsoft Office), retraining users or lack of familiarity (which is not really the case if you are using MATE, Cinnamon or Xfce, Firefox, Libre Office, Skype and all the usual suspects) can equally be thrown with even more force against Metro. Yes you can run the 'traditional' programs under Windows 8, but again, why bother with it, just run 7. Metro has zero benefit on the desktop.

Why are businesses not lining up to use Windows 8, now that XP really has reached the end of its life, if it is superior? After all it is supposed to be leaner than 7, and easier to use? Surely a dream come true for business, as it may not require junking old hardware, or expensive retraining.

Windows 8 and Metro are an abject failure. I am sure some people do find the interface pleasant, but the majority do not. It is not simply a matter of people fearing something new, or Microsoft bashing, as Windows 2000 and Windowws 7 were in the main welcomed when they first came on the scene. I am sure if Metro was released as a tablet operating system with a native Metro-ised version of Office, something along the lines of RT would have potentially been a winner, but stuffing a half baked tablet interface on top of a cut down version of Windows 7 on the desktop is a sad pathetic joke.

1. mmeier

Oh cute, once again all the FUD and lies from the Win8 haters / Pingufreaks in one package.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Alright then. Let's assume criticism written about Windows 8 is utter rubbish, users who dislike the Metro interface are all liars spreading utter nonsense. Explain to us why desktop users should want Metro. What are the killer programs for it? Once we are all enlightened then we can chuck all our Windows 7 disks away, and wipe Linux partitions, and get on with converting all those non technical and home users from XP onto 8. Why should I, and people I know replace their Windows 7 machine with Windows 8, and why should I recommend replacing the old XP machines used by family and friends (who are fairly clueless with computers) to Windows 8.

I think that is a fair challenge.

1. mmeier

Yor initial assumtions/questions are nonsense so I called the "Bureaux of Inderlander Affairs". A Witch or Warlock will soon come and drive you away from your bridge

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Good reasoned argunent, everyone who dislikes Metro is a troll then. Thrown any chairs recently perchance?

5. RSM715

Where's Office?

Frankly if a PC user cannot find Office without it being on the start menu, they shouldn't be using a PC at all, they will probably not even know where they are saving their files, such people should stick to utility devices like mobile phones and Android/iOS tablets. Such people should not be engagin in incessant whinging, holding back real power users of proper PCs with their ignorance and laziness, they should make the tiny effort required to educate themselves or stick to simpler toys and leave the real machines to the adults.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's Office?

Because all power users want Metro? Hahahahaahah! There is nothing in Metro I can possibly see that a 'power' user needs.

I am typing this on Linux, and could launch Libre Office from the command line if I want to. But unless I am working in a terminal window, I am not going to go to the hassle of opening one to type it in. That is surely a 'power user' way of launching a program, but pointless unless I am actively in the terminal at the time. Two clicks in the menu in MATE, which does not obscure Firefox as I type this loads it up. Same principle with Windows 7, why launch a command prompt, or search for the executable in explorer? Presumably I am lazy and ignorant then?

Windows is the defacto standard anyway for most businesses. People are forced to use it in the workplace, and many might not be overly tech savy or even the least bit interested in it, but have to use a computer as part of their job, which in most cases will have absolutely nothing to do with IT. Why should they be forced to learn new methods just so that Microsoft can try and encroach on the tablet market? For most people computers are a tool. Presumably if I use a hammer to hammer a nail into the wall, I should be competent in blacksmithing?

1. mmeier

Olaf Officedrohne with his 3-5 programs would actually benefit from Modern a lot. Even today he clicks on Icons using "muscle memory". So Modern - makes it easier for him to click on the icons since he no longer needs to dig out the desktop. He does not care if for a short moment his other Windows are overlayed by Modern, most of the time he only uses one anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So on the one hand the previous poster states that Metro and the Windows 8 way of doing things is for the 'power user', and now you state that it is ideal for an office 'drone' with limited technical skills. Which is it?

It seems like the target market for Windows 8 is as schitzophrenic as the operating system.

1. mmeier

Simple - it works for everyone!

2. Vic

> if a PC user cannot find Office without it being on the start menu

Three posts within quarter of an hour of joining, all aggressively defending Win8.

*Sniff*. *Sniff*. Smells like Astroturf to me...

Vic.

6. jelabarre59

Not mine

Doesn't much matter. Win8 doesn't run on our hardware. And I'm not buying new hardware just to run it. I'm already running Linux, and when XP goes out of support next year, my brother is going to have to move to Linux as well on his machines.

1. NPCO543

Re: Not mine

"...and when XP goes out of support next year, my brother is going to have to move to Linux as well"

Because XP will stop functioning when support ends??

Comments like these never make sense. If you want to switch to Linux, by all means, do so. I have it installed on a system or two here and it's fine. But don't resort to ridiculous excuses like this. I still have XP on a few older systems, and they will remain on XP until I take them out of service or they suffer some hardware failure. The OS operates, and will operate, as good tomorrow or next year or 5 years from now as it does today.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not mine

It will work of course, but it will only be a matter of time before it gets exploited. Which will be pretty easy for those wishing to do so, by reverse engineering the updates for Windows 7 to see what Microsoft are patching.

XP will be best kept in a virtual machine, or disconnected from the internet. I certainly wouldn't recommend keeping XP out in the wild much beyond the end of support date.

7. Heathroi
    Meh

RTM? Responding to moaning, perhaps?

8. Muhammad Imran/mi1400

I see most of people here are linux worshipers not just worshipers but the type of who could not get their super coold words of advice in Linux itself. Other people are like the one who are the first to reach venues like occupy wallstreat, gay rights defenders etc ... or they are the people who got job at some office and all they do is wander around and complain this wall should be there, that corridor is not a shortcut to there, all the paintings are too metro type... come on... plz give urselves a gentle flying-kick-fuck and go to ur desk start working at that office. whatever the enviroment is .. open ur excel or whatever tool and concentrate on ur work... also mind it that Windows-server-2012-R2 will also be based on as per ur words.. SHIT.. .so if MS is basing its R2 on shit .. who r u to complain!?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What is this incomprehensible rot?

2. Daniel B.

Ok, someone plugged an Xbox360 fanboy brain to the MS shill-o-matic machine.

Nope, most here aren't just "Linux lovers", but are IT people who suffer the most when vendors screw up. Win8 is one of these things!

1. mmeier

The same as similar operations are done on Android - Using a combination of hardware keys. I.e "Volume" and "Windows key"

9. HKmk23

Windows 8.# = Vista all over again

No wonder Ballmer has bugged out.......

10. peedurr

Perhaps it is time to move on from Windows 7...

I bought a new PC with Windows 8 a few weeks ago, I now have 8.1 Preview on it. The update makes the OS more customisable, e.g. you can have the desktop background on the Start Screen, and if you don't do this, you have a lot more foreground and background colours to play with.

As for Windows 8 in general, I have a touch screen, so if I want to, I can do the whole finger-tapping thing. But as most of the applications I use are ones I used to have on my Windows 7 PC, I find I'm spending most of my time on the conventional desktop, and the only differences are that everything definitely runs faster, and of course the system boots up and closes down far more quickly than it used to. If I do find myself on the Start Screen, it's not exactly difficult to work out what to do. Heavens, you can always click the 'Desktop' tile to leave it. And both 8 and 8.1 have the rock-solid feel I knew from 7, but didn't feel with Vista. So really, is there that much fuss to make?

11. DaneB
    FAIL

Windows 8.1?

Still a massive fail - Microsoft needs to rethink... their audience is so engrained in an older-style Windows experience that this will never work.

Microsoft doesn't need to be an Apple-alike to compete with Apple.

Command-Alt-Delete

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like