back to article Microsoft: Surface is DEAD. Long live the Surface 2!

Undeterred by its critics, Microsoft has torn the wraps off Surface 2: its upgraded Windows 8-powered tablets, now with faster processors, better graphics, a load of new accessories, and not one but two kickstand positions. Surface Pro 2 with docking station The Surface Pro 2 with its new docking station Redmond has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. mmeier

Re: Gaaah!

Given that a lot of people around here find WACOM/NTRIG based units quite useable with legacy apps (and do so since 2003) I guess the problem exists between your tablet pc and your chair

1. Get the puck outa here

Polishing a turd

An incremental speed increase in a failed product. Who thought of that?

Even Blackberry didn't release a Playbook 2.0!

These things will be another billion dollar write down in under a year, Ballmer's parting gift to Microsoft.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's that

they say about doing the same thing again and expecting a different result, sonny?

3. elaar

Was watching "Elementary" and had to painfully watch Sherlock take time to remove the slab, sort out the back support and then add the keyboard, and then add insult to injury make a search with "bing" massively highlighted on the screen.

It was hard to watch, us Brits aren't used to poor product placement. It made me want to hate it!

4. Slions

Not that bad

We got a few of those Asus VivoTab Smart in the office and they are actually not that bad. Admittedly I mostly used the classic desktop and VisualStudio. Though I'm sure some of the Modern UI apps are probably worth it. That Market application looked great anyway. You also need a few accessories to actually be able to use it properly. The stand/cover, a pen for when you are pissed off trying to use desktop apps with your fat fingers, a keyboard to actually do some productive work, a mate screen protector in case you get fed up looking at yourself in that glossy screen, and a sleeve (ISY).

Been travelling lately with one of those and a brand new ThinkPad Compact Bluetooth keyboard, that worked quite well for me. Good battery life, really small and light package so you can easily put it in your backpack.

Did not notice many people actually working with Android tabs and iPads on the move while I actually managed to be productive with that setup, though full HD would have been better obviously. You also very much need a small table to actually get it to stand, on your knees it won't work. Thankfully most planes and trains have that even in economy class, except maybe Heathrow Express but thankfully it is express.

The detached keyboard is actually quite good, makes me wonder if buying a laptop is worth it. I quite like working with the tablet on the table and the keyboard on my knees. Though I guess laptop would be the same just without the need for the table.

Anyway Surface Pro 2 and the likes look quite promising. It just does not make much sense to compare it with iPads and Android tabs.

5. Slions
    Facepalm

Not consumer

It will obviously never sell in the same volumes as iPads and Android tabs...

1. mmeier

Re: Not consumer

The "low price" tablet pc segment will be served by the MS<<DELL Venue 11 that will be shown next Wednesday. Baytrail, proper digitizer (sadly also supports touch), 4GB, 11'' and according to some sources starting prices around 400€. Since it is basically the Latitude10 replacement there will be a LTE model as well and a dock.

6. Shoddy Bob

Nice

These would be beautiful little machines if you could get Ubuntu onto them. It's a shame that after two decades, Microsoft have finally got their security sorted out so you can't boot into something else.

1. mmeier

Re: Nice

Does xBuntu support

+ WACOM digitizer with pressure support

+ Support Handwritting Recognition

+ Offers an equivalent to MS Journal, ArtRage V2 or better?

+ Offer an equivalent to the MS Speech recognition let alone Dragon Natural?

+ Supports MIRACast

If not you are paying 200+ € for components you can not use

1. Richard Plinston

> Does xBuntu support

> + WACOM digitizer with pressure support

Yes.

> + Support Handwritting Recognition

Yes.

> + Offers an equivalent to MS Journal, ArtRage V2 or better?

My N800 from several years ago runs Xournal which also runs on any Linux.

> + Offer an equivalent to the MS Speech recognition let alone Dragon Natural?

ViaVoice was available on Linux in the late 90s. There are several systems currently available, some free, some proprietry. Like many, I tried speech on OS/2 a couple of decades ago. It may be useful in a small number of cases but is not generally of much use. For example it was used in meat works back in the early 80s where the boners needed to qualify the carcase but could not touch anything. They probably still do.

+ Supports MIRACast

Android does. Maybe next release for Ubuntu.

1. mmeier

Links please of it did not happen. Last time someone offered Links to WACOM it was either for EXTERNAL tablets. Those work different from the screens. Or for Android and the Note drivers are Samsung closed source. There are "early beta" drivers for Wacom penabled technology but they are not very stable.

Same for HWR. If it is not up to at least Win7 - it does not work. And comparing Note to Win7/Win8 even Samsung is not yet there. With the same pen and user the Note has a lot more misses and generally wrong choices than Win8. Problems with words not in the directory and it either does not learn/adapt at all or extremly slowly (> 6 month with steady use)

Xournal is nice but like SNote not up to even MS Journal (lack of OCR among others)

As for speech the short version of your answer is: NO. Oh and speech has come a LOOONG way since the late 90s and ViaVoice. Even the Windows7/8 internal engine is better than say ViaVoice 8 (2000). The better hardware helps here as well

1. Richard Plinston

> Links please of it did not happen. Last time someone offered Links to WACOM it was either for EXTERNAL tablets. Those work different from the screens.

http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/CintiqCompanionHybrid/en/

1. mmeier

Android unit from WACOM. That is the same as the Note series. The Samsung drivers are not OpenSource and I doubt the WACOM are. So they can't be absorbed by the GNU

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like