back to article Intel, AMD in HP notebook smackdown

In early May, HP released a flurry of updated, redesigned Intel-based business notebooks. Now, AMD – Intel's microprocessor rival – will power these machines as well. On Tuesday, HP announced new business and consumer notebooks equipped with the latest versions of what AMD insists on calling APUs – accelerated processing units …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ryan 26

screen quality

As you haven't mentioned it, are we to assume that the screens are the usual pointless 1366x768 crap? Or do they actually supply screens that are useful for people that actually use their computers to do stuff (as opposed to watching video or playing games which is the only use for the usual low-res screens):?

1. Fat Jez

screen res

Standard screen res is 1366x768, but there is an option of 1600x900 too. Not sure what the cost is.

"15.6" diagonal LED-backlit HD anti-glare (1366 x 768); 15.6" diagonal LED-backlit HD+ WVA anti-glare (1600 x 900)"

2. Lusty
    Meh

clarification

"comparing the new, top-of-the-line quad-core A8-3510MX APU to a comparable quad-core Intel Sandy Bridge i7-2630QM"

Is the i7-2630QM also top of the line or just comparable? Would it kill you guys to look these things up for your articles?

1. Lusty

There are some problems with your post.

To answer my own question, no it's not top of the line.

The 2630 is neither fastest nor is it low power, pretty much pointless doing the comparison in that case.

The top of the line is the i7-2820 which I will be refering to as the OWL processor from now on :)

3. Matt_payne666

title

sod the performance, but that has to be quite possibly the largest, ugliest docking station I have ever seen!! My e-series dell unitit is a work of art compared to that!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Yet another low resolution toy...

I checked the published tech specs, and the best screen resolution I could find for both the B and S series is 1600x900. I believe that even this poor resolution is not offered as a standard feature, and will cost extra. So, it looks as though I have no choice but to go to Lenovo, who still offers a 1920x1200 product.

1. godanov
      FAIL

idiot

This is a stupid troll. Demanding to end features in a mid-level offering. Look to the EliteBook, ya bloody moron.

5. Head
    Thumb Down

Hmmm

Good news for AMD for sure.

But WTF happened to the fabled 1920 x 1200 resolution??

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Serves Intel Right

They have been foisting crap mobile graphics on customers for years and somehow getting away with it. Nice to see that time is over.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like