back to article Dell punts $4450 World of Warcraft notebook

For the hardcore World of Warcraft fan who has everything (but regular access to fresh air and sunlight, of course): How about a WoW-themed gaming notebook? Dell is punting a special edition of the XPS M1730 emblazoned with World of Warcraft artwork and a goodie bag of extras. You'll need to dish out at least $4,450 for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dean
    Thumb Up

Thanks el reg

I've never laughed so hard on a wednesday morning!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

The gullible and there money...

are soon separated

3. Rob
    IT Angle

I like WoW....

.... but come on over 2 grand (sterling) for laptop with a bit of graphix plastered over it? If you are a fan and buy the laptop, why would you want another copy of the games.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

A sound virginity warning

As per Austins wise warning, would it not be moral to offer the purchasers, who would obviously be WOW addicts, a '40-year old virgin' DVD instead of 'making of WOW' one?

5. Dominic Kua

Thecowking approves

I wonder if i can get it without windows on?

6. James

Aimed at fans?

Why would a hardcore fan, prepared to spend over the odds on a laptop, want another copy of the game?

7. Chad H.
    Stop

Whats the point?

--

But the WoW edition comes with retail box copies of World of Warcraft the Burning Crusade expansion pack,

--

Wouldnt a WoW head, who lets face it, are the only ones who'd buy it, already have these?

8. Jim Cosser

Strange...

Ok it may not be the strangest thing about this story but surely anyone who likes WoW that much is going to already have a copy of the bloody game?

9. Ray
    Boffin

Custom model based on character

Will that be with my full Tier 6 or just the random greenies ive got!

10. Pin

@Rob

Exactly, I like wow too but I don't really see who they are aiming this at. Besides, the horde logo is wasted when it's not in red :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For that money

they might as well throw in a year's subscription or something.

12. Spleen

Warcraft 2?

For $4450 they couldn't have included Warcraft 3? It's five years old, it can't be that expensive, though even at full price you'd've thought $4450 would cover it. I think this is the clearest indication that Dell are taking the proverbial.

13. Shakje

@Dominic Kua

I wonder if I can get your comments without crap sarcasm?

14. Iain

Other games?

Why would being beefy enough to play other games help? Anyone prepared to spend that much money on their WOW addiction doesn't have time for anything else.

15. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

Smart marketing?

You've got to hand it to the folks in Dell's Marketing dept. Spotting that sad bastards with absolutely no life whatsoever are quite likely to have four and a half grand to drop on a new laptop rather than blowing it on going out with their mates, beer, clean laundry or food.

One thing they've missed. If you *are* a sad bastard with absolutely no life whatsoever and don't get out much, why would you want a laptop rather than a desktop?

I reckon that a product with a target market of Warcraft junkies who like to get out a lot isn't going to break any sales records.........

16. Austin Modine (Written by Reg staff)
    Dead Vulture

@Spleen

Ah damn. No, that's not Dell — that's me.

Looks like I forgot an "I" on Warcraft III.

I would normally blame my editors, but frankly their eyes go glassy whenever I talk about video games, so it's entirely up to me on that front.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointless specs...

WoW being one of the most system spec-friendly games around lol. You'd think they'd target Crysis or COD4...

18. James Taylor
    Thumb Down

Where is the extra cash going?

So its $1449 extra for the Warcraft branding then. This includes the add-on game that these people already have, a beta-testing run and a figure.... gotta say, thats one crappy deal right there.

19. Dana W
    Jobs Halo

You have got to be KIDDING,

I will never let anyone tell me my Macbook Pro is too expensive again.

It cost HALF that and spins WOW just fine, my friend uses it constantly. "Not that I play WOW, when I want to be sad and alone I run Second Life"

$2400 decals anyone? And they say WE buy a "name"!

20. tom

Because WoW is so, you know, cutting-edge...not.

Since WoW runs fine on simply ancient computers, one can only assume all that graphics hardware is there to support Vista.

21. Dominic Kua
    Linux

@Shakje

Ah if you don't like me join Buhu's fanclub on the forums eh? I honestly would like this laptop with Fedora 8 on it. I'm not big on paying for software I don't want to use.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

The virginity thing isn't true...

I tried stoppingplaying WoW and it didn't make any difference.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like