back to article Novell jobs slashed by stepmother Attachmate

Novell's new owners Attachmate have swung the axe far and wide, with massive staff cuts right across the organisation. According to sources, casualties include some 800 back office staff and all local country managers, including Sean McCarry in the UK and Ireland. At a more senior level, Novell SVP of global sales Javier …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

This is news?

The layoff happened at the beginning of May. While it's true that in parts of the EU and the UK, employees probably were given a couple months' notice of when their last day was, this really isn't news now.

2. Anomalous Cowturd
    Boffin

Sniffs...

So long Novell, and thanks for all the fish!

I used to love Netware deeply. So much better than NT (3.51) at the time. Most of our client's servers only got rebooted once a year for their PM and patching visit. (Not internet connected in those days.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Sniff Sniff

Indeed, in the case of SFT (System Fault Tolerance) Novell easily beat Windows NT for many years, certainly with RAID 5 and Mirroring, and eventually server to server, I couldn't believe that even up to NT4 Server the official process for switching mirrored drives in the event of a crash meant editing files and a restart, it was that point I went UNIX/Linux.

Around 1999 using Zen and NDS you could put out a standard desktop Windows desktops with the registry locked down in ways Microsoft only admins could only dream about at the time, all controlled through the NDS administration GUI.

A good company, sadly missed

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

News versus news

Since the GoDaddy auction was news recently, with the out-of-hours antics of that company's executives under the spotlight, here's some related news from a while back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachmate#CEO_animal_cruelty_case

1. Notas Badoff
      Pint

Mooving

Well we can see that there are no sacred cows in this company....

"... and left to rot." (Would that be "bring out the popcorn" watchable? The company's fate, I mean)

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Yeah!

Because watching the worker bees get laid off is SO EXCELLENT.

NOT!

This topic is closed for new posts.