back to article Intel dangles $300m bait in 'ultrabook' partner hunt

Intel's investment arm has created a $300m fund to support the adoption of the slim, always-on, always-connected laptop platform it calls the ultrabook – or now, with the protection of the US Patent and Trademark office, the Ultrabook™. "The Intel Capital Ultrabook Fund aims to invest in companies building hardware and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Doomed to fail miserably I'm afraid

for these reasons

1) Networks will continue to charge by the bit for data.

2) There are gaps in the networks (viz from one side of my house to the other)

3) People won't be able to afford the data plans (in the USA because their networks are already creaking and groaning.)

Intel is living in its little 'Always on, always connected bubble'. The real world is not like that I'm afraid. Perhaps in 2050 this might be a reality.

Then what about the crowded city centres then? You often struggle to get a Phone connection let alone any data rate worth using the device...

On my 25 mile journey to work 8 miles of the journey are out of mobile phone signal(O2 & Orange) and I'm less than 40 miles from central london.

2. Mikel
    Facepalm

Tell people what not to invent

Yeah, that'll work as well as it did the last hundred times.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

tl;dr

"...a very holistic approach to moving the entire market to a different kind of form factor..."

What language is this in?

1. Mediocrates
      Windows

language...

"What language is this in?"

The official language of business -- Moronics

4. Screws

INVENTORS - DO NOT TRUST INTEL!!!

INVENTORS - DO NOT TRUST INTEL

I invented a CPU cooler - 3 times better than best - better than water. Intel have major CPU cooling problems - "Intel's microprocessors were generating so much heat that they were melting" (iht.com) - try to talk to them - they send my communications to my competitor & will not talk to me.

Winners of major 'Corporate Social Responsibility' awardS!!!

Huh!!!!

When did RICO get repealed?"

INVENTORS - DO NOT TRUST INTEL!!!

BTW, I have the evidence - my competitor gave it to me.

BBTW, I am prepared to apologise to Intel if;

• They can show that the actions were those of a single individual within the company, but acting outside corporate policy, and:

• They gain redress on my behalf.

1. Mediocrates
      Facepalm

recursion

If you invented something 3 times better than the best, wouldn't that make it... the best? And then it would have to be 3 times better than itself. Continuously.

My brain hurt now.

1. Screws

My CPU cooler

OK, 3 times better than the best other, or the best currently marketed, or - up to you -

5. Mikel
    WTF?

Waitaminit

This design is a knockoff of the Macbook Air. The same Macbook Air that has Intel processors and is going gangbusters. Intel's putting $300M into cloning one of their customers' products, shopping the designs around and investing in the takers. Have I got that right?

That's not very friendly. Why, if I were Apple I think my feelings would be hurt.

1. Will's

Is teh I in Air still intel?

I thought that Apple had suggested the next air was ARM based.

Will any design be subject to embargo by the courts as passing off though?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like