back to article Avere destroys NetApp benchmark after just 13 DAYS

Well, that didn't last long: just 13 days. Filer accelerator Avere has shown it has real teeth by sinking them into NetApp's ankles and pulling it off the top of the SPECsfs2008 NFS benchmark hill by achieving a new record SPECsfs2008 score. Avere's appliances use multiple solid state and spinning disk tiers as caches for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I got one better Spec at home

Storage guys have gone stupid these days I suppose. The Spec fight us good but now turning to be a nonsense. EMC is busy talking how great #1 they are and gobling companies... NetApp is busy countering this EMC junks and IBM/HP is in their own world. Yes HDS is better off as a Lone player quite and groomed. None thinks of solving real customer issues. Call any of these guys the first word they say "my kit is better" .. Kind of crap. Hope enterprise customer understands where they are heading with these vendors. Can you storage guys behave as problem solvers rather than being marketing jokers. Money making is important but think of making life better. Don't come with an approach "we have Isilon now and can I have an opportunity?"

2. Nate Amsden

almost got it

While the raw perf numbers are good it would of been nice to see Avere use a "real" storage system as their mass storage. I can't imagine customers deploying what must be at least $1M of Avere gear in front of some Opensolaris boxes which are probably not HA.

based on this article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/19/avere_threatens_netapp/

And given that this seems to be in response to a NetApp number, it would of been neat to see Avere use a pair of FAS2000 arrays or perhaps a single FAS3200 array as the back end storage.

only wish SpecSFS forced disclosure of costs of the systems under test.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice.

Why does every article chris writes have to be biased towards netapp??? I liked the dig against zfs -- one of the biggest threats to netapp.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like