back to article HP CEO to reveal fate of WebOS in two weeks

HP is to confirm the fate of its WebOS operation in the next fortnight, CEO Meg Whitman told French daily Le Figaro. The firm has fired 525 staff in the WebOS hardware unit months ago and transferred the platform team to the Office of Strategy and Technology as it came to a decision on the business. Whitman was today reported …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bolccg
    Thumb Down

Pre-announced?

"...This is not an easy decision... We need to have another operating system."

Doesn't sound too good, does it?

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

It's guaranteed to be a dead platform and be purged. Why on earth they don't just open source it and give it away.

1. Thomas 4
        Mushroom

Seems familiar

"We need to have another operating system"

WHY? Seriously, what is this new magical operating system going to do that WebOS was incapable of doing?! Or are you just going to buy up another perfrectly good OS to torpedo *that* as well?!

Jesus Christ, please tell me HP managers aren't allowed to breed otherwise the overall intelligence of the human race is going to drop a few notches in a couple of generations.

2. asdf
    FAIL

of course

WebOS is the best tablet OS out there imho whose only problem though a big one is a real lack of apps. Of course this means HP will throw out the baby with bath water when after all they only thing they do really well is sell ink. HP buying your company is almost the kiss of death M$ buying you is.

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Paris Hilton

Lack of apps not unsurmountable

I will agree that the largest problem with WebOS is a general lack of apps. While there isn't a cacophony of applications coming down the pike from product developers, such as GoToMyPC, and every commercial these days seems to refer to an Android and/or iPhone app, I cannot see that this wouldn't be turned around by a strong investment and commitment from HP.

I see new apps in the App Catalog at least weekly, and a lot of apps by major vendors (CBS Sports, iHeartRadio, Hexage games, Rovio) are still receiving updates. HP needs to consider the existing market of great supporters in both developers and users, and how that can move them forward. Right now there really isn't anything out there to compete well with the iPhone as a vertical platform (yeah, sorry RIM, you still suck,) and Android tablets are as disjoint as Android phones.

I have rarely read negative reviews about WebOS, even with several of its shortcomings I have faith would be corrected with a commitment from HP. I've used a number of friends and customers as test beds for various platforms and all who have touched WebOS have been positive about it.

And I should mentioned the ease at which one can "root" a WebOS device. PreCentral is an excellent resource.

HP is about ready to commit to the Palm curse when it has the opportunity to turn around the platform and be competitive. Having said that, HP needs to realize that, perhaps just for the time being, one will not buy a non-iPad for iPad prices; the eBay going rate for a 32GB unit during the TouchPad fire-sale was around $300. Take this into account when planning a strategy, and realize that selling for a loss is going to require aggressive marketing and a responsive core within the company in order to grab hold and retain a strong base of users and developers.

I use my TouchPad quite a bit, and it is actually an enjoyable experience. I have a few complaints that, again, I can see being taken care of in short order after HP commits to WebOS: no native RDP application (a $.99 one has been made available which works very well, as well as another one more recently,) no native Windows Networking capabilities, the WiFi only TouchPad cannot use the PAN or DUN profile of a paired Bluetooth phone, let me turn off HTML rendering in the email client, and those darned cracks around the speakers. It already offers a PPTP client which allows me to connect to customer networks and use the RDP client to manage, and PreCentral gives me an SSH client to manage my Solaris machines.

I admit I took a gamble when I bought my TouchPad during the blow-out, but I have yet to regret it. And as disappointed as I may be if HP decides to drop WebOS (assuming no one else picks it up and continues support and development,) I don't think I'll regret it for a while to come.

Paris, what the fsck does any of this have to do with her??

3. M Gale

The choices:

1: WebOS. It's your own baby and while you might have dropped the little scrog on its head a couple of times, it's not irreversibly damaged. Yet.

2: Windows. Prepare to be borged.

3: Android. Probably the best choice if you don't want to go with 1. To go with choice 2 you'd have to be an idiot on the scale of a Nokia board member listening to an ex-microsofty boss and nodding like a well trained pet. Or you're just under coercion from Microsoft.

4. Eduard Coli
    Gimp

That time of the year again

Bonus checks must have cleared and maybe even a few crumbs left to actually make a product!

5. Wrenchy
    Linux

Great platform in the wrong hands.

- Sell WebOS to Google.

- Google to infuse WebOS DNA into Android. Google already has WebOS UI designer Mattias Duarte at the helm as Android UI Chief so there is familiarity there already.

- Google to turn this into something wonderful!

6. Giles Jones Gold badge

I really can't understand it. WebOS is built on Linux. It's not so much an OS they're worried about but the software ecosystem. Developers, applications and development of the platform.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Yes, but I don't think they've got that yet.

7. Andres
    Facepalm

Crying shame

I was lucky enough to get a Touchpad and frankly, WebOS just walks all over IOS and Android. It is an elegant, intuitive system which I just hope and wish will carry on life with HP or whoever takes it over.

8. Melanie Winiger

HP Skill

HP is skilled in dismissing people, very skilled.

That's all you need to know...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like