back to article Doctor Who girl Amy Pond axed in 'heartbreaking' exit

Doctor Who is in the market for a brand new sidekick, as current companions Amy and Rory Pond will leave the show during the next series in a "heartbreaking" fashion. Alex Kingston, Arthur Darvill, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. Pic: BBC Alex Kingston, Arthur Darvill, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan. Credit: BBC The show's head …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NO!!! not the pond...........

1. DF118
      Unhappy

I will be glad to see the back of greetin'-faced numpty Rory, but not as glad as I was to see the, er, back of Karen Gillan every week.

2. Ancient Oracle funkie
    Trollface

"It's heartbreaking" says Karen Gillan, "Who else will pay me a handsome salary for running around in short skirts?"

1. Richard Wharram

I will pay

Me me me !

Hang on. I did post this Anon right ?

Shit, the wife !

2. Eddie 4

me!

I'll pay her handsomely to run around in a short skirt ....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

"I haven't cried this much since Adric died"

1. Dave Harris
      Unhappy

Slightly off topic...

... but I believe I said the same thing when Mr Nigel-Murray was killed in Bones.

2. ThomH

I haven't cried this much since Adric joined the cast.

3. BorkedAgain
      Thumb Up

"I haven't laughed this much since Adric died"

There, fixed that for you.

(Shame about Pond, though...)

4. daviduk

Which means he's losing his In Laws as well...

5. Stef 4
    Alien

Please please please...

... not another "Donna Noble" Catherine Tate. Couldn't stand her.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wasn't bovvered, personally.

2. Asgard
      Happy

@The next companion

I would love to see a hot female Silurian scientist as the next companion. The writers need to give the next companion a different perspective on the universe.

Plus the Silurians have been shut away for a very long time underground, so they need to be shown more of the universe. Also the Silurians have as much right to be considered earthlings as humans, so to other alien races, the Silurians are just a different kind of earthling, which would be an additional interesting aspect to explore some more.

Plus when they visit the future (on earth), Silurian's wouldn't be out of place and in the past on earth, people would react to Silurian's as if they had seen a demon, which would be interesting to explore them overcoming their prejudices (or failing to) when the Silurian tries to help them. All of that would be more interesting aspects to explore.

I would love to see an inquisitive intelligent Silurian scientist who looks just like Vastra as the next companion. It would be interesting to see the Doctor showing her the wonders of the universe for the first time. :)

1. ravenviz Silver badge
        Facepalm

See that rectangle in the corner, open it and walk through. It's called 'the outside'.

6. Snark
    Unhappy

Nooooooo

You've ruined Christmas now! How does it feel to be the Grinch!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only person who thinks that this show gets far more press than it deserves? If you're 12 then I'm sure its great, but as an adult who's read a lot of proper Sci Fi that doesn't have to rely on cartoon character baddie-of-the-week then I'm afraid for me its all a bit "Meh".

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

At the risk of ruining by up/down vote ratio, I have to agree.

Getting rid of Pond and that dork Rory should have been done after a couple of episodes.

Pond is only memorable through sheer persistence of hanging around like a klingon. When she finally goes I will most definitely not be sad.

1. Shakje

Semi-agree

I think that Karen Gillan is one of the few things that's right with Doctor Who (along with Matt Smith), although it's got a hell of a lot better since Russell T Davies left. You just have to look at Torchwood to see how small a fish he really is and how utterly incapable he is of making something which sits in that perfect zone between made-up things and realistic scenarios (my best example being that he has to make something up to find a mole in the FBI instead of just thinking up something plausible or a better plot device), or, for that, good dialogue.

1. Malcom Ryder 1

I liked Torchwood, everything I know about Cardiff I learned from that TV show

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ooooo nooooo

Karen Gillan is the best thing about DW. How many lads have devoted hours to debating the collar/cuffs question ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

collar/cuffs

matching......anon for obvious reason

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now why on earth..

.. would he make that announcement. Why not simply keep quiet, and give everyone the shock of their lives, and keep them talking about Dr Who for years, as happenned with Blakes 7 unexpected ending.

1. Tom 13

Cause this way

he gets weeks and weeks of build up for what will undoubtably be a lousy episode. One of the things I like about the original show is that MOST of the companions survived.

2. Richard Wharram

Or Sapphire and Steel

OK - just me :(

3. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Because they're afraid no one would otherwise watch the episode ;-)

10. PaulR79

I'll miss Karen but not that guy. He irks me, always has.

1. mamsey

Who?

Waawy the Woman?

11. Alan Bourke

No more microskirted pouting?

Feck.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

True, but with any luck we might actually see some acting from the next companion.

12. French Tickler
    Happy

And about time too - whilst the legs will be a loss, that is about it really......

13. JDX Gold badge

50:50

I like Amy but will be glad to see the back of Rory, who makes the whole thing more clownish.

14. NogginTheNog
    Meh

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Don't make it someone he's going to have a 'thing' with again! God how I hated all that Eleventh Doctor - Rose Tyler romance SHITE!

In my opinion the best companion from the new series has probably been Catherine Tate, for the lack of romantic involvement as much as anything else! Though she did turn out to be a pretty good actress too (I had my misgivings...).

Flameproof undies on.

1. Oliver Mayes

I for one agree with you. The classic companions didn't need to be in love with the Doctor, why do so many of the new companions have to fall for him. (Well OK, it may be understandable to get a bit of a crush on the awesome guy with the sexy ship, but it doesn't need to be their defining characteristic).

Get another few companions in, who can have the adventures and be entertaining without constantly mooning over whether the good Doctor has noticed their new outfit.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

well, maybe not Catherine Tate

whose voice and mannerisms SERIOUSLY grated on my nerves, but I DO agree that a NON-love-interest companion is preferable. Even though all the other Time Lords are long gone, how about another character like Romana or the female incarnation of the Tardis? Pretty, SMART, classy, and NOT a love interest

@Ugotta B. Kiddingme not another Romana, please. Well fair enough if it's somebody like Romana I, but Romana II was the worst companion up to that time. Her bouncy, cutesy little schoolgirl personality really got on my tits. Even more so when she went so far as to wear a school uniform.

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

To be fair to Moffat I don't think there was ever any romantic thing with Amy. Yes there was with Rose <FAT COMIC BOOK GUY> Worst assistant ever. </FAT COMIC BOOK GUY>. And there was with Martha (although unreciprocated), certainly not with Donna. With Amy however she is just basically a bit of a slapper. Remember at the beginning she had two boyfriends she couldn't choose between? And she was a slappogram. Then on the eve of her wedding she wanted to shag the doctor but didn't actually want a relationship. And all the flirting with everybody else, you saw the van Gogh episode right? Hell in the Space/Time short thing she was even flirting with herself.

Amy is a slapper, which is I think a refreshing change. In the classic Who assistant's sex lives were generally never even hinted at, or if they had any romantic attachment at all it was as pure as the driven snow. Amy is more like that grey slush we have outside at the moment.

1. EddieD

Aha...

Not quite true - at the end of the series "The Green Death" Jo Grant went off with the hippy Prof to get married, the Doctor presenting her with the blue crystal from Metebelis 3 which they subsequently returned 'cos the Amazonians thought it was an ill omen, giving it back to the 3rd doctor just in time for it to finalise the matrix for the giant spiders leading to the regeneration to the 4th doctor...okay okay okay I'll get my coat

(I seem to remember Sarah Jane staying with the Sailor guy at when she left the 4th doctor, so they did have romantic attachments is all I'm getting at...)

1. Petrea Mitchell
            Boffin

Also...

Susan stayed behind on future Earth because she'd fallen in love (speaking of in-laws), and didn't another of the early companions leave in Greece to become Cressida (of Troilus &)?

Yes I know several assistants left due to romantic attachments, but they were all as pure as the driven. They met somebody, they fell in love and got married. There seldom even any kissing let alone hints of anything stronger.

2. Steve Taylor 3
      Alert

The Doctors Girlfriend

Damn right. One of the things the new incarnation of Dr Who has seriously screwed up is this tiresome crap of having a steamy romance between the Doctor and each new assistant. It was ok with Rose, as it was something different, but that's plenty for a while.

Catherine Tate was a breath of fresh air - mind of her own, and not chasing the Doctor's hot timelord body.

15. Havin_it
    Childcatcher

Amy and Rory Pond?

He took her name? How very modern. <snort>

1. daviduk

The Doctor kept calling him Mr Pond... however their daughter also has a water related surname...

16. Bunker_Monkey
    Coat

ACE?

ACE - That is all........

Mine the one with an old character that should return in the pocket...

1. Richard Wharram

At the risk of my up/down ratio

Ace was a walking cliche, rather too obviously trying to be 'cool'.

It was a national sport at the time to hate Bonnie Langford but because of this people became oblivious to the fact that Mel was a much better character than her successor Ace, and better acted too.

To risk my street cred entirely (I can pretend), if you listen to the Big Finish audios it's obvious who can carry it off alone and who can't.

For a different perspective I would also point out that Peri had better tits and Nyssa had a better arse.

It was a national sport to hate Bonnie Langford because loads of idiots assumed that the was really like the parts she played. They actually thought she was Violet Elizabeth Bott and Lena Marelli. I will never understand why most of the British population seem to be unable to separate actors from the parts they play. Indeed somebody recently told me they didn't watch Hidden because they couldn't stand Gene Hunt. They just couldn't seem to grasp that Glenister wasn't playing Hunt in that series.

2. The Brave Sir Robin
        Coffee/keyboard

Phwoaarrrrr !

Peri !!!!!!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Story Arc

As has been the case in recent series there will be an underlying story arc for the next season where in each episode Amy keeps on seeing the letter P and the numbers 4 and 5 appear on objects.

1. Richard Wharram

Well done

I actually started thinking about that one and wondering what it could mean for a bit there :)

18. Andrew Norton
    Thumb Down

oh dear

after all the time we had to deal with the trout-mouthed cockney fishwife (piper) 2 and a bit years is all we get with someone actually worth watching?

Rose was only around for two full seasons you know (I know it seemed longer). Yes she did pop back occasionally on increasingly ridiculous pretexts, but only two full series. So in the end she will probably have been in fewer episodes than Amy.

Anyhow did anybody else notice that when Rose came back her speech had totally changed? Maybe it was the void, or maybe it was dentistry or botox or something.

2. Richard Wharram

Pretty much the same time really

2 and a bit seasons each.

19. b166er

Quite happy about this. Can they get rid of Gwen from Torchwood at the same time?

I reckon the Doctor would have a really intelligent female companion, I know they like to portray it as he likes a bit of fluff to distract from the endless Time-And-Relative-Dimension-wandering he has to put up with, but really, let's have some crafty chicks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't knock Gwen

She's a good character, but she was very poorly scripted in the last series.

20. Tom Sparrow
    Unhappy

GAAAAH

Could you PLEASE not put huge spoilers like that in the headlines. I avoid all the Dr Who news I can for a reason, but having it in large print at the top of one of my regular websites makes that very difficult.

1. diodesign Silver badge

Apologies - but it's not like we said she will die, is it? Oh er, oops.

21. gyre

noooooooooooooooooo :)

I need my weekly dose of Amy Pond! Leave Amy Pond alone!!!! :)

22. Ian K
    Trollface

"that story is going to come to a heartbreaking end"

Enough with all the wangst! I remember the good old days when most companions used to simply wander off content when their stint was done.

23. AndrewG

Oh Well...

In one way she never lived up to the promise of the police uniform in her first episode...

I thought there'd be that girl from the forest that was in the half season finale that would be a contender for upgrade.

Or maybe River Song?

Or maybe Moffats just giving us something to cry about because this christmas special is even more crappy than the last one (Hint, when they include a flying shark, thats a very good clue that they are about to jump the shark)

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Oh God, you made me remember

the flying shark.

24. Atonnis

I'm glad...

...the show has become too much about Amy Pond and Rory. Personally I'd like to see them get back to a bit more of Doctor Who and a bit less drama-and-romance-around-a-sidekick.

25. MJI Silver badge

As long as no Doctor fawning

That really got on my nerves in previous series. Rose got irritating.

I also like the little gang rather than 2 people.

Just leave them somewhere together, don't kill them (again in Rorys case).

1. Tom 13

Well, they can kill him (again)

as long as it's in the MIDDLE of the episode and he has recovered (again) by the end.

26. Red Bren
    Alien

Any chance of an alien companion?

And maybe some stories that don't revolve around humanity?

If you had the ability to travel any place and time in the universe, would you keep coming back to the same place?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Alien

Madame Vastra...

...and her maid/sidekick/lover would be a good addition, although the "gay agenda" spotters would have a field day.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

"would you keep coming back to the same place?"

If the filming was cheap...

27. John Armstrong-Millar

about bl**din time

Am I te only one who found la pond a wee bit tiresome

1. BrownishMonstr
      Devil

One of the few

I thought she was rather purty, at least in the copper uniform.

2. ravenviz Silver badge
      Trollface

Reading all the posts on this, I think you are!

28. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Too all those people who gave me a thumbs down...

... I forgot to mention the appalling hammy acting from all concerned. Karen Gillan couldn't act her way out of a paper bag and the guy who plays Rory sounds like he's cribbing from a script off camera the whole time. As for Matt Smith with his irritating freeze frame style posturing and overdone facial expressions which I presume are supposed to make up for the fact that he couldn't deliver proper emotion if his life depending on it... gah!

1. ravenviz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

It's OK you're still 12 upvotes clear from your post on the 8th.

29. arrbee
    Alien

rumour central

In a bid to get decent backing for the show the new companion will be whoever wins "Strictly".

Just as they arrive a Tardis malfunction will result in all of its occupants turning a strange shade of orange.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one...

...Would like to bring back his daughter. Two reasons - it would make for a good character development path. We might actually learn about the Dr. first life back on the home world. Second, it would allow for another spin off after the Dr reaches the end of this 12th regeneration. Let face it, he can't regenerate forever and the show should technically end with the next actor. This would keep the show running for another generation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And thirdly ...

she's top totty.

We need a Terry Thomas "Ding-dong!" icon.

1. dogged

I agree about the icon.

2. Andrew Moore

hmmmm, I think that getting all of Mel's remaining regenerations might come into play when it comes time for DW the 14th

31. MikeS
    Devil

its probaby about time as others have said...

the last series have been more like the 'Amy Pond show, featuring Doctor Who'.

Presumably theyve just run out of storylines that revolve around the Ponds instead of the doctor at last.

maybe he could have a friendly dalek companion instead ;-)))

32. Cliff

How about the 'sexy' human-form tardis as a companion for a bit?

Well, I mean, you know - she was kinda cool - smart, sassy, and frankly pretty awesome.

33. Sam 36
    Thumb Up

I don't get it?

How will the Amy Pond soap opera continue without the lead character? Or will they go back to that old fashioned thing of having Doctor Who be about that boring male character?

34. This post has been deleted by its author

35. Syed

I second that...

... we most definitely need some ding-dong!!!

They should also bring back Madame de Pompadour - maybe even to be the next incarnation of the Doctor.

36. candyman76
    Happy

Comments are awesome

Anytime I see a Dr. Who story I immediately head for the comments, the Dr. Who debates are always the best! Thanks to you all!

1. Cliff

It is something we can actually care about - Apple vs Microsoft is frankly worn out.

37. Craig 28

I have to agree about the Earth-centric stories, I got fed up of those around the second series. About the same time I got completely sick of the story of the week format, the old stories had a lot more depth. You could actually appreciate them a lot more I found, not as rushed and more plot and character development.

As to companions I'm not sure I care much about them at all since the return. There were some good moments with Rose and Harkness in the first series back but Rose's chavviness did grate, and Donna Noble was just insufferable. I've seen interviews with Billy Piper though and she doesn't seem at all chavvy which surprised me, I think she could have done a lot better if they hadn't insisted on overdoing the cockney thing.

While there have been romantic entanglements in the past I think people were trying to point out that they were almost entirely sexless, maybe a product of it being partially aimed at children and the social norms of the time but at least there wasn't all the fawning and flirting there is in the recent series. I'll make an exception for John Barrowman because he was just hilarious, he somehow managed to deliver it completely straight (so to speak...) while still making you laugh yourself silly.

1. John Angelico

Dear me...

...isn't the point (apart from practical production and budget reasons) that the Doctor has a primary responsibility to protect the Earth and it's quirky inhabitants?

38. JohnMurray

That's what you get for getting plastered, wandering about a hotel starkers, AND getting in the 'papers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2008482/Doctor-Who-star-Karen-Gillan-naked-riotous-New-York-party.html

Now, will the doctor get gay and bed Rory ?

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Classic letter in Viz magazine

I wish I had written this, but hats off to whoever did:

"If I was Dr Who, I'd have that Billie Piper bent over the Tardis console and given what for before you could say Jack Robinson. Then I'd use my time-twiddling powers to constantly repeat the time I was in the vinegar strokes, keeping me in a delicious state of eternally-looped space-time ecstasy. Do any other readers waste their valuable time dreaming up frankly unlikely sexual scenarios involving timelords and their beaver-faced sidekicks?"

40. Paul Wells

The US version WAS the Amy Pond show

As well as being edited to make room for lots of commercials the American broadcasts on BBC America also had to make room for a weekly introduction by Amy Pond explaining that she had an imaginary friend who took her on journeys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

oh god, this.

even my lovely fiance who tolerates almost anything sappy, was unhappy with adding the Pond voiceover to the show's intro.

She's never been the "leave the classics alone" type before that.

At some point, some modicum of tradition has to be respected! :)

41. Stevie

Bah!

Just as long as Rose Tyler's mum doesn't put in another appearance.

Wait; why are we watching this kid's show again?

42. Madboater
    Paris Hilton

I for one

shall not pass judgement until I have seen the length of the new assistants skirt.

1. Steven Roper

Anything

longer than the fanny-pelmets Karen Gillan wore will be a fail in my book! ;)

1. Richard Wharram

Teehee - FANNY !

I take it you come from the non-Doctor-Who producing part of the English speaking world :)

Fanny :D

43. Criminny Rickets

Glad they're getting rid of Amy, but not Rory too. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

timelords..

When I were a lad, (and I'm not that old folks), - in the days of Tom Baker - he'd talk about such things as "machine code"...yes, I kid you not, he actually did say that in the context of programming his computer in the tardis.. Muppets like Davies would never script in such techy talk today.

And a couple of years later..I did actually learn machine code...and that has (partly) lead me on to where I am today...a techy that's flat broke, don't get me started on that one!..

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

"Karen Gillan is the best thing about DW. How many lads have devoted hours to debating the collar/cuffs question ?"

You are a perv mate, I bet ye hangs out at Torture Garden every now and again.

Personally, I just can't see Karen Gillan in that way...can't decide if it's the red hair, the stupid voice or the crap acting.

Why can't we get a nice slim model for a companion, possibly from another planet so they can use that as an excuse to dress them up in some delicious latex.

Then I can stop doing the naughties with the internet sites and use the television instead to make me go blind....

46. CmdrX3

Well if they were to look through some older episodes I can think of three previous guest stars that would make good potential companions. Michelle Ryan (Lady Christina De Souza), Carey Mulligan (Sally Sparrow) or Georgia Moffett (Jenny).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

An excelent idea...Goorgia Moffett as Jenny

I was expecting a whole spin off series after that episode, she is a sort of clone of the Dr after all.

But why? Who doesn't have a history of previous characters being brought back as assistants, why start now?

Yes I know that many of the companions previously appeared in Who, but not usually as the assistant character. Sometimes this was even referenced in the script presumably just in case people noticed. They never bothered to do this with Karen Gillan though, presumably because the costume and makeup she wore before didn't make her that easilly recognisable when she returned.

47. Stuart Duel
    Mushroom

While we're at it...

...could we get rid of that dweeb who currently plays the doctor too?

48. earl grey
    Paris Hilton

more nekkid wimmin

thank you

49. T J
    Mushroom

Steven....

This is going to be crap like everything else isn't it Steven?

Give up - see if one of the 70s writers is still alive and hire him.

1. hplasm
      Thumb Down

Shut it-

Or RT Davies will come back!

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All the sidekicks Dr. Who has had since Russel T. Davies took over have been absolutely crap. Catherine Tate, I rest my case. What the F**K was Davies trying to prove taking her on? It was obvious before he even recruited her that she would be entirely useless.

And I do hate his gay agenda in Torchwood too..I expect to be watching a science fiction series, not gay porn with uneccessarily long gay sex scenes which add absolutely no value at all. Fortunately I recorded it, so I just fast fowarded through it, couldn't believe how long that scene was! And it didn't add anything to the programme at all.

51. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Easy casting job

"That the agents? Yes, we need another actor for Dr Who. Usual thing, please - pale, anorexic waif with huge cheekbones. Acting ability? No, of course not. Just make sure about the cheekbones."

52. Putonghua73
    Meh

Supporting characters

I must admit that I stopped watching part-way through. I think that last episode that I viewed was the plot to kill Hitler. By that stage, the show was a parody of itself: ludicrous, convoluted plots, too much emphasis on one part of the story (7 of 9 effect ala Star Trek Voyager - despite 7 of 9 being an extremely tall, extremely blonde, extremely big-breasted attractive actress, made to wear body hugging catsuits, the constant focus on her struggle to regain her humanity diluted the story lines and the rest of the cast), too much hammy-acting and a lack of focus of what made the Tennant years so good re: good story-lines and a superb supporting cast.

Bernand Cribbins stole the show every-time he featured.

As for the Pond effect. Seriously Karen Gillan or Alex Kingston? A slip of a girl versus a real woman. Alex Kingston every day and night of the week!

Now, where's the 'Do not Disturb' sign?

P.s. Agree with commentators regarding a new companion who will not become a potential romantic interest of the Doctor. That was the saving grace of Donna Noble - although clearly admiring the Doctor, she also felt he could be a bit of a tit a times.

53. Mr_Pitiful

?What & what

As Ultravox said "This means nothing to me"

54. SleepyJohn
    Coat

Donna Noble - yes

I seem to be in a minority here but personally I thought Donna Noble was one of the best ever assistants. She was a down-to-earth girl from a very ordinary background who managed to raise her game enormously when confronted with impossible situations. When she helped the Doctor it was by exhibiting Earthly commonsense with verve and determination, not by claiming preposterously to be wiser than the Dr, like that silly Pond teeny-bopper kept doing. She was a true companion in the best sense of the word, a real foil for the main character. Removing her memories and returning her to her previous state of suburban vegetation was a sad, but curiously good ending.

But frankly I have almost stopped watching altogether as I find the new Doctor to be all flippancy and no depth, and the whole Amy/Rory thing irritating to the point of being quite unwatchable. If it was not for the occasional appearance of the truly delicious River Song I would not turn it on at all.

1. Doug Glass
      Go

And for a time ....

... she was the most important woman in the universe. Maybe her mum will come to understand that and tell her so.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wowser, what an exit!

I had a great idea for Amy Pond's exit.

You remember that Vietnam film where they make the farmers run over the minefield and a couple go up in pink clouds of mist? Then the rest get caps popped up they asses?

Well what about the Daleks making Amy Pond do the same thing, with an identical pink cloud? And then fill Rory full of lead as he looks on in unimaginable horror? Looking on, the Doctor could then cock a snook at the Daleks and run off in the Tardis. The looks on the faces of the 7 years olds watching would be priceless.

I'd be eagerly awaiting Stephen Fryssiah's response on Twatter.

56. ryanthelion84
    Unhappy

NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Not my sweet sweet Amelia Pond! :(

57. James Hein

Finally!

Leela was the best companion that knife throw that took out the Sontaran was a great scene. Most of the rest have been useless (except K9).

I have friends who stopped watching Dr Who because of Ms Pond. Screeching "Doctor" so many times raised hackles a block a away. A facile character who couldn't act. Smith is too eager boyish in the role but in the last couple of episodes seemed to be better. Rory is an OK character.

As a combination this may be the worst Dr Who set in the series to date and apart from a few of the earliest episodes, I have watched them all (yes even some of the original series so showing my age).

58. FarmerBob
    Unhappy

OMG!!!

What's going to happen to the Amy & Rory Show?!!! Matt Smith is a dud and the worst Dr ever (I have been watching since the mid 70's) and it's clear since the supporting staff glaringly outshines the lead. Thus the ax of the more powerful characters. But River . . . I want you to have my baby. Oh Baby!!!!

59. liquidphantom
    Thumb Down

I can honestly say I can't stand the modern day incarnation of Dr Who. Russell T Davis was the worst writer ever and although Stephen Moffat is a great writer the Beeb is just pummelling out one load of watered down main stream tripe after another.

This show lost it's cult status a long time ago. When they first announced it was coming back I was happy but when it hit TV I hid behind the sofa, not because it was scary but because it was absolutely awful and with the direction that the Beeb want to push it, not even Stephen Moffat can save it.

60. Miblewimble

Thank feck for that

Talentless actress leaves talentless actor hanging on in moribund show with talentless writers. Doctor Who after Tennant has been grim fayre indeed: Gillan's departure can only improve things.

61. rurwin
    FAIL

It will be good to see the back of the Ponds, and I have to say that Smith was a terrible choice for the Doctor, although not as bad as McCoy. it is a shame that after such a promising start to the new era, they seem to be going down the same path of making the Doctor more and more flippant.

>yes even some of the original series so showing my age

I remember Jamie (very vaguely) who was a Patrick Troughton companion, although Pertwee was the Doctor I grew up with.

I just wish they would stop trying to out-do themselves with every little event. Every story has to be bigger than the last. Every series finale has to destroy the Universe even worse than a year ago, every companion has to have a heartbreaking end. Why not just write good stories? Why not have a companion just walk away once in a while, or go to do something very important on a distant planet? (And for pity's sake, get off the Earth. Pertwee had an excuse, Smith does not.)

In fact Doctor Who is supposed to be scary, it is not supposed to be sad. And when it could legitimately be sad, what with the main character being the only survivor of his race and all, it descends into farce ala Matt Smith

We want good stories, well written with good believable characters played by good actors, and if one or two of them have short skirts it might be nice, but it is no substitute for good writing and acting.

62. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I will miss Pond, but the "Heart Wrenching" and "Tear Terking" story lines are getting waaaaay over the top.

For gods sake dont buy this seasons DVD and watch every episode back to back, the maudlin story lines will quickly have you on a window ledge screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Mines the coat with TARDIS pockets, fantastic for shopping (and not paying).

63. Bigus34

She often made the difference between watching & switching channel, as half the time I didn't really get what was going on with the plot anyway! I'm also a bit perturbed at the hint of a 'heartbreaking conclusion' - they should keep the soap opera style emotional crap out of sci-fi shows IMO.

64. JohnMurray

I quite like the left-of-centre-gay-leaning beeb writing.......and i did wonder about the Doctor/Captain-Jack relationship.........

Now.... Amy / Karren...... nice skirt, what little there was of it......but..

Maybe the time has come to have a few years of break-time for the show ?

Maybe find a few decent writers less obsessed with their own backside and more into sci-fi ?

65. Darren Barratt
    Meh

Vile disent

Whilst Karen Gillan provided some decent eye candy, the girl can't act for toffee. When she started on the series she only had 2 expresions, "goggle" and "pout". In the second series, these were joined by "goggle and pout".

66. Doug Glass
    Go

The only water in the forest ...

... is the river. River Song had best be staying for a mite longer. Many story lines there left to explain and build upon.

The Doctor is always shedding companions and getting new ones and that event with Rose Tyler even made my wife teary-eyed ... both times. Sarah Jane Smith explained it well with her comments to K-9. And for those of us who've seen them all ... so has the Doctor.

What stories? There is not much left in the story of River and the Doctor that hasn't been explained.

There are still plenty of stories that could be written, but there isn't much left that has been mentioned that hasn't already been explained.

You also need to remember that Who the series is pretty much made from the point of view of the Doctor's timeline. Now bear in mind that it has been stated that the Doctor and River pretty much live their lives in reverse with respect to each other. We have seen River die (although she was "saved" which was obviously the last time (from River's POV) that she met the Doctor and we have seen River's first meeting with the Doctor in Berlin. So without delving back into the Doctor's timeline we must have pretty much seen most of the meetings between River and the Doctor.

OK so the rule that River and the Doctor live each other's lives in reverse is only a rough one, but I would say that unless Moffat is going to ride roughshod over a pretty important plot point of his own making we won't see that much of River in the future. I think she'll still be there, but only occasionally.

67. Jacqui

I'ne gone "pond"

Well from mousy blond to ginger then dark red :-)

And I agree that the comments here are for more entertaining than the show.

My comment: The "other planets have a north" doctor walked - best doctor of the current bunch and best decision he could have made. His offence - He was not interested in either sheep or other men. :-)

68. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Why does a future companion have to be female? Half the previous compaions have been male.

Bring back Jamie.

69. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ah time for another pop tartlet who needs a career boost?

some record label has a stage puppet with an autotune that needs promoting? One of the producers has a female love interest he wishes to impress? Or we gonna go all Torchwood and show how "accepting" we are and get male romantic interest in the little blue box?

Can't have companions with minds of their own anymore. More love sick puppydogs pining away at their Doctor when he's not around, wagging their tails the second he comes in the door and takes them walkies.

Certainly can't keep Dr. Song around. Gun totin', arse kickin' Doctor-in-line whippin' women wouldn't work with the trademark Gallifreyan arrogance.

Time to bring on the next reality-television-bound chavess. Until the Doctor reincarnates younger and even less dignified and we can start the Grade School Years.

This topic is closed for new posts.