back to article Galaxy drives up profits for Samsung

Samsung's smartphones have helped drive the company to an operating profit of ₩5.3 trillion ($4.7bn) in the fourth quarter of last year. The Korean chaebol's mobile line, particularly its Galaxy smartphones, saw Samsung's mobile business grow profits to $7.4bn over the whole year, up 90 per cent from 2010. Samsung has gotten …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. csumpi
    WTF?

$4.7bn drop in the ocean?

"However, despite the enormous growth in Samsung's profits, they're a drop in the ocean compared to Apple's recently released results."

Are you serious? A quick check on the calculator: 4.7 / 13.06 =~ 40%

And this from a company who's rounded rectangle shaped products were blocked from sale in many countries. Also, $4.7bn probably goes a long way in Korea.

I think Samsung is doing an awesome job. Their phones look fantastic. Two years ago the only touchscreen smartphones I saw were iPhones. Now I see just as many (or more) people carrying Samsungs.

If you said my income was a drop in the ocean compared to Apple's, I can get behind that. But Samsung's 40%?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes....

I'm thinking *very* big drops and/or *very* small ocean

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Poor journalism

The article says Samsung cleared $3.06 billion in the same period - so slightly less than 25 % of Apple's admittedly fantastic results but still impressive. But above it also says $4.7 billion in the fourth quarter. I guess that refers to Samsung as a whole and the smaller sum to Samsung Electronics.

In any case it looks like Samsung is making enough money not to worry about being bought out of the market; a favourite trick used by listed companies to rid themselves of pesky competition. Presumably this has been the cue for the legal attacks.

3. DaWolf

Aye. First thing I thought when reading it - sadly, one stupid statement ruins the whole piece. Shoddy jounalism frankly.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hate to admit it.

I just bought a 32GB Samsung 10.1". Damned nice piece of kit that.

3. Ammaross Danan
    Coat

Stats

"Samsung is going to spend another giant wad of cash this year, when it invests ₩25 trillion ($22.3bn) in semiconductors and displays."

Anyone know exactly how must reinvesting Apple has done (new office space not included)? Oh wait, maybe that's why they have such large numbers. That and their price premiums...

And yes, the Samsung 10.1" is a very nice piece of kit. However, the Asus Prime Transformer looks a piece too, at the same price point.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Ammaross Danan

Put them side by side and the Samsung display is twice as brilliant. ;-)

1. Raz
        Happy

@AC Friday 27th January 2012 17:50 GMT

Which matters only if you take your tablet outside. I found out that most of the time my tablet (Asus Transformer) is too bright (on auto setting). I am only using it indoors, both home and office. When I am out in the nature the last thing on my mind is to use a tablet :)

1. ZweiBlumen
          Stop

@Raz

He did say brilliant and not bright. Similar, but not the same.

2. scibot
      WTF?

Office Space

I assume you have saw apples new planned headquarters?

Not just 'office space' surely? And apple buys interesting start-ups and also drives design forward.

Not entirely pro-apple, I think samsung are a great company, but i disagree on those points.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like