back to article Lightning crashes: How to manage server flash caches

What does it mean for a storage array to manage server flash drives as will happen with EMC's Project Lightning? Let's look at an EMC VNX doing FAST VP (Fully-Automated Storage Tiering for Virtual Pools) tiering of data on the one hand and a VNX supporting connected server flash drives on the other. In-array tiering With in- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

Shall we learn how Project Lightening REALLY works next week?

2. unredeemed
    Trollface

Premature don't you think?

Seeing as how the VNX has some of the latest Xeon processor technology, you allude to there being a CPU bottleneck. If you were talking CX, I would believe you, but the VNX less so.

That said, your analysis is flawed in that EMC is typically very tight lipped about products until their release date, so your article is all conjecture and assumption till otherwise noted.

1. OzGuvnor

Enough CPU cycles?

I would agree on the assessment and assumptions being a bit premature. New generations of storage arrays across vendors have shown that there is enough CPU cycles around to manage storage efficiency features such as compression, de-duplication, multiple PIT snapshots on top of their disk and cache management. The new generation of processors will continue to expand the scope for these type of capabilities .

I dont work for EMC but my guess would be that the code base for Lightning is probably tied to their existing dynamic cache partitioning functionality (Symmetrix).

This topic is closed for new posts.