back to article Cabinet Office unveils Public Services Network suppliers list

The Cabinet Office has confirmed that 12 out of 16 bidders made it onto the Public Services Network (PSN) framework. The pan-government agreement – a brainchild of the previous administration – is made up of managed telecoms services to "ease collaboration and communication" between various public sector departments. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and

The smaller businesses are not even thrown some scraps.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US companies seem to be involved. Does this mean that the US government will be able to demand data on what people in the UK are doing when it involves systems provided by those US companies? The consensus seems to be that the company just has to have a significant presence in the US for the US government to be able to demand access to data under the PATRIOT act. The data need not actually pass through the US either in order for them to be forced to hand it over.

3. Spearchucker Jones
    FAIL

Wow.

Past performance obviously didn't feature in the selection of the names on that list.

The four biggest (Thales, Fujitsu, BT, and C&W) have all been responsible for huge cost overruns that we (the tax payer) are still paying for.

BT (Global Services) and C&W I've worked with. Those two in particular have cratered projects because of anything ranging from incompetence, arrogance, greed, to "we'd better put an Oracle DB on all the laptops because we've been told it'll increase our chances of winning the bid".

More of the same, then.

4. h4rm0ny

Capita!

I once gave a presentation to a packed room full of mostly developers and administrators from the educational sector. Someone asked a question about integrating with their Capita system they were locked into and I replied something along the lines of "Good luck! Capita are a synonym for pain and suffering."

Actual applause went up from a significant proportion of the room.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like