back to article Apple screws UK disties, punts just 13,000 iPads to channel

Apple neglected the channel when divvying up stocks of the latest iPad, but disties that laid hands on the device found the margins were slightly more generous than on previous generations. The channel bully boy confirmed it had shipped three million of the latest-version fondleslab to 12 countries in four days after the 16 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AndyS
    Thumb Down

eh?

This article reads like the first 3 paragraphs (you know, the introduction) have been dropped. Bit confusing.

1. mark1978

Re: eh?

Indeed, WTF is "the channel"

2. Tim Parker

"Foxconn-rebrander"

Marvellous.

3. Ralph B
    WTF?

"Foxconn-rebrander"?

Is El Reg suggesting that the iPad and other Apple products are not actually "Designed in California" but rather in Taiwan? Or that Foxconn are also selling iPads under their own name?

Foxconn are just, like, making things for Apple, right?

I know it's probably meant it as a throw-away joke, but there's got to be some logic to it, doesn't there?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Foxconn-rebrander"?

It wasn't funny or accurate the first time they used it. Just El Reg trolling its readers again

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If we're talking about 'rebranders'...

..we could ask TheRegister which of the many unattributed web sites they glean most of their stories.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: If we're talking about 'rebranders'...

Er, we attribute sources. See, well, everything. Foxconn-rebrander was cooked up in the London office - and then lo and behold, a week or so later Foxconn bragged that it can and will do R&D on gear it makes, leaving tech companies to just do the marketing.

See: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/23/foxconn_international_phone_division/

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

So are Microsoft and HP rebranders as well? By that logic they must be

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Other Rebranders include… If El Reg doesn't apply the term to these companies, it's Trolling it's readers

Acer Inc.

Amazon

Asus

Barnes & Noble

Cisco

Dell

Hewlett-Packard

Intel

IBM

Lenovo

Logitech

Microsoft

Motorola

Netgear

Nintendo

Nokia

Panasonic

Philips

Samsung

Toshiba

Vizio

2. Norphy
            Thumb Down

"Foxconn bragged that it can and will do R&D on gear it makes, leaving tech companies to just do the marketing."

"Can" <> "Does"

3. Alistair MacRae

Isn't most of the stuff in the iphone designed by other companies anyway? The hi res screen, camera and memory is samsung isn't it? The processor from IBM, the camera lense schnider. There's probably 50 other companies involved too. Then Foxconn makes the parts for them and then glues it all together

Apple did the software and put it in a glass case. Its a mungrel dog of tech as it any product out there.

2. Tapeador

"..we could ask TheRegister which of the many unattributed web sites they glean most of their stories."

Reg adds good prose and analysis.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed! Personally I can't laugh at enterprise and success, Like I can clown like failure. Thinking this joke is funny kinda relies on ignorance about how value is created. It appeals to a certain cynical mentality that is the opposite of what you need to be a risk taking entrepreneur going out in the world to make a difference and employ smart people who get things done. I would love a list of people who find it funny, so I can put them on my "do not hire" list when I get funding for my new startup.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

El Reg trolling its readers again

Please don't feed the troll(s)

2. Andy Fletcher

Not too sure why that sounds surprising or what difference it makes. California probably make some suggestions on spec, but Foxconn's R&D will be doing most of the work. That's how everything is made. Who cares anyway.

3. Ross K Silver badge
      Stop

Oh FFS get a sense of humour, will you?

4. thesykes
      Facepalm

If only fish would bite as hard and as easy as Fanbois do....

1. frank ly

I don't see anybody defending Context. who are described as 'abacus strokers'. Apple can look after themselves; you should stand up for the little guys.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprised?

Still?

This is standard Apple practice, you should be used to being shafted by now

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surprised?

Not surprised. It doesn't change that find it extremely irritating suggesting my customers should visit another business because we haven't been allocated enough stock, despite the demand. It makes advertising tricky, if not, impossible, as we can't guarantee stock levels or even delivery. Corporate sets up generous 10% off sales and we have half the lines available. Selling Apple shit is more trouble than it's worth.

5. Stu
    Facepalm

Surely...

Surely the vast majority of sales didn't come via the channels into shops, Apple preferred or otherwise.

Given the evidence doing the rounds on the day, most sales came via Apple's online shop, as people realised that buying from a shop is a huge waste of time having to stand in line.

TNT and co. went utterly ballistic on that friday, having to fulfill hundreds of parcel deliveries per driver for the iPad, and I'm informed by TNT that they couldn't fulfill them all on the first day and had to spread it over to the Saturday.

My iPad was returned to base in the TNT warehouse whilst the telephone operators told me it was still out for delivery. A subsequent phone call showed it was sat in their very offices awaiting personal collection! So in anticipation I went up to collect it - in some ways similar, if more costly in petrol, than having to stand in in line at a shop for one! :-(

I still don't know if the driver was just being downright lazy, because he returned to base with his remaining stash of iPads earlier than he was meant to return that day.

So, the channels mean sod all if most initial sales are transferred to customers via TNT!

1. Anonymous Canard
      Unhappy

Could be worse...

...if they used DHL you wouldn't be able to find the status on the web site, and if (by error) it was delivered as expected it would be damaged. Most likely it would be returned to the depot with an 'unable to deliver' status even if you were home all day, and returned to the sender without further notification.

6. ratfox
    Coffee/keyboard

"The Reg was still awaiting a response from Apple at the time of writing..."

You owe me a new keyboard!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The Reg was still awaiting a response from Apple at the time of writing..."

Maybe they should've asked Foxconn. Talk to the Organ Grinder - not the monkeys.

7. dave 93
    FAIL

El Reg is still smarting about Apple's refusal to have any official contact with them

Quite funny really, if a little sad that The Register has to pretend not to care that Apple still snubs them. I bet Apple are really worried that you keep taking digs at them - not!

You do give Apple a lot of free publicity, and their tech gives you a LOT of visitors

Grow up and make friends so you can actually report first hand on future Apple stories, or is that too much to expect from a professional tech news outfit like yourselves?

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: El Reg is still smarting about Apple's refusal to have any official contact with them

Oh dear, I see you've misspelled "Apple is still smarting from El Reg's initial mockery, giving El Reg no reason not to continue sticking the boot in."

8. Silverburn

Btw..

..this shafting the channel is not limited to iPads. Try buying an 11.6 macbook air in the shops these days...barely anyone has one.

1. Silverburn

Re: Btw..

..but walk into a Apple store and they've got tons.

2. Tom 38

I don't understand this non story. Why should company A be allowed to sue company B for not allowing company A to sell as many of company B's products?

Apple kit is expensive enough, it is better that they move to more direct sales. Why would I want another middleman taking a cut for importing it into this country, sitting it in a warehouse for some time before shipping it out to a reseller who will charge me more than buying it direct from Apple.

1. Andy Fletcher

Nice, you've worked in the channel presumably? Or rather presumably not. There's quite a bit more to it than just "middlemen". Distributors make it possible for smaller tech suppliers to get their products into this country - giving us consumers more choice. That's not even really the primary function - distributors are the creditors for independant retailers, most of which couldn't operate without them. To sum that up, without disties prices would be higher, not lower as the overall effect (were they removed) would be to drastically reduce competition.

1. Tom 38

Sure, but none of that applies to Apple. Apple don't need distributors to get Apple kit into the country, and they don't need independent retailers to flog their kit. The stores that sell Apple kit (Apple stores) don't need distributors to advance them a line of credit.

So why do the distributors feel that they are getting shafted by Apple, so much so that one of them is suing to force Apple to give them more stock? That is what I don't understand. On what legal grounds can one company sue another company to force the latter company to supply stock to the former? It's nonsense.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Most people aren't going to drive to the one city in their state (or the one right across the border) that has an Apple store. They'd rather drive to the local electronics store and buy one there. The nearest Apple store from where I live (state capitol of all places) is an hour drive at a bordering state (speeding), otherwise, it's an hour and a half to the one in-state. I can drive a few miles to a local store and pick it up from a local store or shop online.

3. mike2R

Re: MacBook Air 11"

Ingram seems to have about 50 of both the 64GB and 128GB.

Admitedly at about £1 less than the Apple Store with the pricing I'm getting, but I believe Apple resellers get rebates based on sales volume.

9. Jedit Silver badge
    Stop

16GB most popular?

That's quite surprising to me, because literally everywhere I went that wasn't completely sold out of everything had stocks of 16GB models both with and without 4G, and nowhere - including my local Apple Store - had anything else. Perhaps by "most popular" you mean it was the model that Apple ordered the most of - in which case, they've made a huge misjudgement of demand.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Re: 16GB most popular?

Yes. A few of the shops that we went to all had the 16GB model in stock, but NOTHING at all of the 32GB or 64GB. In fact most of them admitted that they had never recieved the 32GB / 64GB. (Maybe this is why the 16GB was most popular; maybe there were hardly any of the others to go around.)

Didn't try the 4 hour round trip to the local Apple store, and by the time we got home the impulse to buy had subsided so haven't ordered one online either :)

10. Audrey S. Thackeray

Surprised

at Apple's behaviour here - it's not like they need the cash. You'd think they'd want as many units shipped as possible to increase their hold on the apps market - this sort of thing will result in some large customers not picking them as something to standardise on.

If you want 300 delivered and inventoried with a single point of contact for proper support you aren't going to head down to Regent St with a company credit card.

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

Re: Surprised

I don't think it's that odd... If the things only work as advertised in the States (see Siri or the 4g Australian fiasco) it's no wonder they prefer to sell them were they can be actually used, and be less prone to lawsuits...

11. cloudgazer

It's kinda odd

Because availability of 32GB and 64GB models in the Apple stores was non-existent, but I had no problem picking one up at Dixons in Gatwick - so if channel aren't getting very many, they're clearly having trouble shifting even the few that they do get.

I guess most people prefer to shop in Apple stores than Dixons/Currys if given the choices?

1. KroSha

Re: It's kinda odd

Most people prefer to shop ANYWHERE rather than Dixons/Currys/PCWorld if given the choice!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Regs Front Page

I count five positive Microsoft articles and two negative Apple articles

-

Microsoft goes global with System Center 2012 at MMC

Microsoft details Halo 4 release

Windows 8 diet exposes Microsoft's weak ARM

Microsoft to bake Windows 8 in three flavours

Microsoft sharpens Azure media tools ahead of Olympics

Dad sues Apple for pushing cash-draining 'free' games at kids

Apple screws UK disties, punts just 13,000 iPads to channel

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Regs Front Page

You've broken the code. Give that man a cigar

You're right - El Reg is just a front for MS's advertising division

2. P Zero
      Boffin

"Windows 8 diet exposes Microsoft's weak ARM" is negative, or neutral at best.

3. mark1978

That's nonsense. The Reg has been severely beating Microsoft for some time about Windows 8

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps today but El-Reg has always been a pretty fair at slagging off everybody.

Of course, according to the fanbois Apple are sacrosanct and can do no wrong (as long as you hold it right)

13. Nya
    Thumb Up

Back on topic...

Well unlike everyone here who seems to utterly be in fanboi flame or rant mode I might as well try to get back to the main topic where the Reg is actually very accurate. The channel is being utterly abused by Apple. Yes by supplying the channel they get around the whole closed market by only selling by what they control through there own site, shops and authorised partners. But the way they have treated the channel for years is nothing but distain.

Lack of supply, pricing so uncompetitive you can't match there own store prices unless you want to make a loss. Or if you are very lucky you can mak 50p profit on a £1500 Macbook Pro which is a complete piss take, and for many of us yet another reason to boycott Apple kit. Let alone the fact the company is a bunch of evil bastards.

I know it'll sound like fanboism, but Apple needs to learn how to deal with the channel in a similar way to MS does. Ok get licensing issues, but on a whole we can ignore that as they actually help everyone in the channel to make a profit, and lets face it that's what all of us in the channel what to be able to do to pay for yourselves and make a living. The same is pretty true also with Linux, it's far easier to make a living out of selling it than Apple kit. It might not be pretty or shiny but who gives a stuff if it will pay our wages!

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. geejayoh
    WTF?

Wow.

I didn't think there were so many Apple fanbois who hung out on El Reg.

To be fair, The Reg does seem to be a bit like the South Park boys. "Equal Opportunity Offenders" (of tech companies and their ilk).

If you will really take the "Foxconn Rebrander" comment seriously, you're either new here, or you may be retaining something in your anus. Either way. GTFO.

16. Medium Dave
    Alien

This is news?

You'll get more milage channeling aliens from zeta reticuli than you will from channeling Apple. And you don't get so embarrassed if you're seen with a customer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like