back to article iPad grabs lunch money from mobile PCs, pushes them in the stingers

iPad sales trounced sales for netbooks and notebooks in the first quarter of 2012 pushing Apple to the dominant position in the mobile PC market, show new figures from analysts NPD. NPD ran together tablets with netbooks and notebook PCs in their "Mobile PC category" and skyrocketing iPad sales of 13.6 million in the first …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tringle
    FAIL

iPad the future?

Give me strength. Maybe when everyone has bought and tried one of these stupid things and put them in the K-Tel junk cupboard under the sink we can get back to using things with real keyboards and not having to get neck ache to type something, or looking at the world through slimy smeared screens.

As you can tell I am not a fan of fondleslabs - of any ilk.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iPad the future?

It works for me, it works for work and has distinctly better battery life. It's horses for courses, there is no definitive PC tablet, just some that are better than others and at the moment apple lead the pack.

Next year maybe Samsung or Motorola....... Nah, never happen

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you consider the global market, for many writing systems, a tablet is going to be a much better input device than a keyboard

3. jai

you might not be a fan, but it seems you're increasingly going to be in the minority

2. P. Lee

Tablets are not taking over from laptops

They are simply gaining ground where laptops were inappropriately used in the past. :D

That includes being left lying around in the lounge for casual surfing and map and contact info lookup etc while talking on the mobile. It includes ebook reading.

Tablets don't really excel at any one thing, they just do lots of things reasonably well. Being a PC (as in computing things, cpu heavy data processing) isn't one of them. Conversely, PC's can do lots of things, but generally fail at looking neat and tidy in the lounge, being held in one hand while the other types while you stand in the kitchen with a phone between your head and shoulder; battery life (availability) without a wire, being light enough to give to a child to hold in one hand, having a decent rubber casing in case you drop it, etc.

3. Mikel
    Windows

Samsung is a PC OEM

"ASUS is the only mainstream PC maker to make a showing in the top five tablet brands, tying with RIM on a 2.3 per cent share of the tablet market and sales of 0.5 million for Q1. "

Except maybe Samsung. They make laptops. Are they not mainstream? They're not in the top 5, so I guess not. Been making PCs since 1982.

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: Samsung is a PC OEM

Samsung aren't a mainstream PC maker, they're primarily a a consumer electronics manufacturer who happen to make PCs (like Sony), it's not their core business.

4. Wile E. Veteran
    Devil

Good effect on the market?

Maybe this will depress notebook prices enough I can afford to get a new one to replace this ancient Dell. Of course, it will never even boot M$ Windoze. The FreeBSD install disk will be in the optical drive on the first boot.

This topic is closed for new posts.