back to article France's biggest Apple reseller sinks: 'Tech titan crushed us'

Apple's largest authorised reseller in France – eBizcuss – has gone bust, closing all its outlets and firing its staff. The chain had 120 employees across 15 shops in France and Belgium, according to L'Express, and ran several other businesses including services businesses KA Services and ICLG, which are also closing. Staff …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. g e
    FAIL

In the meantime...

Apple sues the soon-to-be-ex employees for trademark abuse...

Whilst cackling maniacally.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ouch

Just shot myself in the foot......

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First Law Of Business

Look after your resellers, unintended consequences bequeath those who flout thy law.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: First Law Of Business

> Look after your resellers ...

Apple have never done that. <Many> years ago I was part owner and director of a small dealership - sounds grander than it was. On the question of how well Apple supports those it relies on, all I'll say is that we survived as long as we did in spite of Apple, not because of them.

It was quite clear that some dealers were treated much more equally than others. Rules we were contractually required to follow were enforced if it suited Apple to do so, and not if it suited them to turn a blind eye.

1. Stevie

Re: First Law Of Business

This would be a case of "Big American Firm acting Like Fat American Git" is I hadn't seen exactly the same "business model" re: independent retailers from a certain hobby company headquartered in the UK with a very popular product line. It seems that once you have a popular product fenced in with a minefield of patents, trademarks and copyright (said UK company has trademarked a wall of unlikely stuff) your next move is to try and drive your independent retailers out of business by forcing them to overstock short-lived lines while choking new product supply.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who said they flouted the law?

Perhaps Apple should buy them (at a knock-down price) and make them 'direct' Apple stores?

4. Peter 48
    FAIL

what did they expect?

Apple have never played well with others, so what did they expect? The only viable resellers are either those that use Apple as honey pots to drive people into their stores (Usually the large retailers) or those that offer a service that apple doesn't such as people offering business packages with onsite service & install. Everyone else is just kidding themselves and guaranteed to fail.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Might one enquire...

...what was the outcome of the proceedings of eBizz vs. Apple ? You seem to have overlooked that small part.

1. g e

Re: Might one enquire...

Still ongoing, presumably.

Apple are busy finding one of their lawyers who can be do something other than patent litigation most likely.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The closure of the shops also means that in areas of France without Apple stores, Mac and iOS device owners will have no Apple support

and why is that a problem?

1. Ian Yates

Presumably El Reg is hinting that this is very much a case of Apple pointing the gun at one of their own appendages.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're right. It's not a problem. Any 'true' fanboy will travel hundreds of miles to queue up for a chance to spend hundreds on a new phone.

7. geejayoh
    Flame

Resellers / Franchises - no sympathy

I have wondered in the past about resellers. If you're just selling Apple products then you are putting yourself at the mercy of Apple anyway. Same with franchises - you pay to use their image. But if their image is not good in the public eye, then you're screwed.

It has always smacked of laziness for me - those who cannot market well themselves or come up with their own ideas for business are resellers for others. I'm sure Apple won't cry over this.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Resellers / Franchises - no sympathy

It ought to be a partnership. You get the benefit of the franchiser's experience and resources (advertising etc) and you build a business with your own graft on top - end result both their and your bank balances are enriched.

Now how often that happens I don't know - but Dyno-rod and McDonalds always seem to be busy.

2. Shooter
      Facepalm

Re: Resellers / Franchises - no sympathy

Apparently I've been studying too hard.

I read the title of this post as: (Resellers divided by Franchises) minus sympathy

Time for a nap...

8. Cyberspice

Stores are so last millenia

Leeds doesn't have an Apple store because it has a reseller. I call it Apple Store Lite because its almost but not quite an Apple store. If they ever piss Apple off they're screwed. There are Apple stores 40 miles away (Sheffield and Manchester). So either I go in to Leeds city centre on a weekend, fun! (NOT!) or I have a 2 hour round trip to real Apple Stores.

I do neither. I go online and buy mail order which you need to do anyway if you've got a custom order! So I'm really not worried about stores at all.

1. Jeebus

Re: Stores are so last millenia

Or spend your weekends not been a tw@t.

Your call.

1. Tiny Iota
        WTF?

Really? You call someone a twat for stating they prefer to shop online? Wow, who'd have thought it, we're all twats round here!

2. Eradicate all BB entrants

Leeds doesn't have one because we have so many pc worlds here. Walk into one and try buy a laptop without one of their planks trying to sell you an ipad and I will truly be shocked.

Anyway, if we had an Apple store the queues would get bricked by the natives of Belle Isle/Gipton for sport.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional Headline

"French beholden....delicious" says Apple

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The resellers should have drowned Apple in a bathtub when they had the chance. Now Apple's screwing all of them worldwide. Reason number #10,728 to never buy one of their products.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Stop

I find #8,723 to be far more compelling.

1. Bumpy Cat

#69 was always my favourite.

What?

1. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

Venus is a harsh mistress

Never forget #42

...although there is always #451.

11. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

@ AC 13:09...

"The resellers should have drowned Apple in a bathtub when they had the chance. Now Apple's screwing all of them worldwide. Reason number #10,728 to never buy one of their products."

Any chance you could point us to reasons 0 - 10,727 please? Or did you just make it up?

1. earl grey
      Flame

Re: @ AC 13:09...

It's quite simple really.

Apple, Apple, Apple, and so forth until your reach your 10,727. it's all Apple, all the time. wanker

2. hypernovasoftware
      Angel

You must be a programmer; Reason 0 indeed.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Or did you just make it up?"

No, I'm pretty sure he has handwritten list of 10,728 reasons not to buy an Apple product.

-Whoosh-

4. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
      Devil

I heard* that if you add the ASCII Codes for "APPLE" and multiply by 1.8 you get 666. It's a sign people! A SIGN!!!!

*Ok, I didn't hear. Just made it up. But stil....

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Bring on the clones!

Wouldn't it be great for a company with balls of steel to start flogging Hackintosh boxes at a fraction of that of a new Mac?

I'm sure there's already a few individuals doing so, but something really mainstream would be fantastic - possibly based in China, grey imports into the UK/USA with enough availability to be a viable option.

I'd *love* to see Apple take a bite of that.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: Bring on the clones!

They could call it the Raspberry or Rasp for short.

There would be no explicit mention of it being a Hackintosh. It would just be a poorly kept secret.

Rasp 520 looks suspiciously like a Mac Mini.

Rasp 1024 looks suspiciously like an iMac.

Rasp 1000 looks suspicously like a MBA.

Rasp 2000 looks suspicously like a MBP.

Rasp 3000 looks suspiciously like bargain Mac Pro.

Rasp 4000 looks suspicously like a non-bargain Mac Pro.

Some models could even fit niches unfilled by Apple and include better device support ahead of apple. Using USB3. Using new TB based motherboards. Putting in better GPUs, more memory, more storage and whatnot.

Of course they would be price competitive PCs too... (nice side effect)

2. P. Lee
      Angel

Re: Bring on the clones!

er, you mean Gigabyte?

13. Sean Timarco Baggaley
    WTF?

15 stores in the whole of France?

Seriously? No wonder none of my French friends had ever heard of them. If that's the "biggest" Apple reseller in France, it makes you wonder how few of them there are.

When I was living in France a couple of years ago, I had a choice of one indie Apple Premium Reseller about five minutes away on the tram*, and a giant FNAC superstore just round the corner from the office where I was working. The FNAC superstores are similar to PC World / Curry's in layout: lots of electronics, including an "Apple island" setup somewhere near the more traditional PC area.

The indie didn't slavishly try to ape Apple's own stores by duplicating them down to the branding: they sold value-add items and would order in anything you wanted or needed, including some of the more esoteric items, like Cintiq tablets. I bought my first iPad from them instead of the FNAC. Unlike eBizcuss, that indie is still going strong and shows no sign of sacking anybody.

Come to think of it, my nearest Apple Reseller here in Italy is also an indie. And, again, they've succeeded precisely by not reinventing the wheel.

This is the IT industry. If you can't handle its constant change and transitions, you're in the wrong business.

* (Technically, a guided trolleybus. But it looks like a tram.)

14. Brezhnev's Shadow
    Mushroom

Get with the times Grandad

Speak to Samsung ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like