back to article Microsoft Surface slate: Acer, resellers predict a riot

Microsoft has scored two own goals by getting into the hardware game with Surface, the software giant's design for a laptop that thinks it's a tablet: long-standing PC manufacturers are alienated, and there is growing disquiet in the channel over Redmond's decision to sell the lap slab direct. The Pegatron-built Surface slate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

could be important to compete?

Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning.

1. LarsG

Re: could be important to compete?

Will this mean Linux will finally come of age when all the manufacturers dump windows in a temper tantrum?

2. The BigYin

Go MS!

Yes MS, please keep this policy up! It is the best new in years. Hopefully by screwing your OEM partners over they will start to offer hardware with an OS that isn't Windows.

Then we might actually get to see some competition in the PC market!

1. HMB

Re: Go MS! - Actually customers should come first

I really dislike this attitude. I like the idea of more choice from OEM's there's no problem with that, but loads of people seem to have this ridiculous notion that Microsoft should look after their OEM's first when actually they should be looking after their customers first.

Companies aren't there to look after distributors, they're supposed to be looking after their customers. Occasionally that means a revolution resulting in pain for some businesses to the benefit of the consumer.

I sometimes wonder if the same people bitching about Microsoft not looking after it's distributors are also the people who praise Apple for being in control of the whole process.

1. The BigYin

Incorrect. A company such as MS should be looking after the shareholders; looking after the customers would mean having a vibrant marketplace with open competition to drive innovation and keep prices in check, something MS has managed to long resist.

I really don't care what MS does with/against it's customers, I just hope the "riot" which ensues will see some break away from MSs vice-like grip and offer alternatives.

You know, a choice.

Something that would benefit the customer.

1. Alan Firminger

OEMs are probably the largest type of customer for MS .

2. Dave 142

"Incorrect. A company such as MS should be looking after the shareholders"

Well theoretically looking after the customers means they want to buy your product and then the shareholders are happy.

Theoretically.

1. The BigYin

@Dave 142 "Well theoretically looking after the customers means they want to buy your product and then the shareholders are happy."

Indeed - now who are MS's customers? OEMs? Service Providers? Enterprise? The great unwashed (i.e. consumers)?

I put it to you that it's the first two, with "enterprise" some way behind and "the great unwashed" barely registering. Simply because consumers do not rush out and by "a Windows". They buy "an Acer/Sony/Toshiba/ASUS" that happens to run Windows. MS do advertise to consumers, but only to drive customers to towards OEMs.

By selling their own hardware, MS are basically shoving two-fingers up to their biggest customers and playing a dangerous game as they are already a convicted monopolist. And before the fanbois start; I have a fairly dim view of Apple, although that is "less bad" as they are not a monopoly and have never had OEMs (beyond cloners whom they crushed).

My genuine hope is that enough OEMs take umbrage at this and start to release some of their devices with a different OS. Not because I am a bleeding-heart penguin-ista, but because there is no competition within the consumer space and thus very little innovation. Apple stuck the cat amongst the pigeons simply because it was not MS/Windows and could do things in a new way.

A further advantage beyond innovation is interoperability. If there are enough users of alternatives, all players get forced to interoperate (i.e. conform to standards) and this massively increases customer choice as well as improve longevity. And by "standards" I mean "publicly available and patent/copyright free"

At the moment we are stuck in a world of false choice. We can change the badge on the car, but the chassis and engines are all the same.

2. toadwarrior

Apple also have a fraction of the market share. I don't their investors will be happy with MS wanting to be exactly like apple with fewer options to sell.

And they are a monopoly, quite rightly governments won't be happy about them changing their model after the fact and creating even more unemployed people just so MS can retain their monopoly which hasn't offered us anything of value anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@toadwarrior - Re: Go MS! - Actually customers should come first

Governments caring about monopolies creating unemployment ? I wonder where did you get such nonsense!

3. Robert E A Harvey

@HMB Re: Go MS! - Actually customers should come first

But from Microsoft's position the OEM is the customer. The rest of us are users.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The choice in the market is between lots of really ugly plasticy laptops with a million Intel, Made for Windows stickers all over them (which often take the paint off when removed).

The laptops that do stand out are from Sony or from vendors cloning the look of Macbook Pros (HP and others).

Microsoft can actually design things that look pretty good when they put their mind to it. It's a shame the OEMs can't. They'll just rip off Microsoft's design as "cloning" is their speciality.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Go MS!

Before accusing Microsoft, think of how many Android Tablets Acer has released over past 12 months. The fact is OEM will support whatever sells. If Win8 gains market acceptance, there is no worry. I bet Acer will be happy to sell iconiaMac if Apple allows it.

1. paulc
        Happy

"If Win8 gains market acceptance,"

oh sugar... you owe me one new keyboard... just snorted my coffee out my nose all over it...

3. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Who cares what the OEMs think. All I want to tknow is when can I preorder one???

4. big_D Silver badge

Or it will force the makers of cheap and tacky hardware to take notice and actually produce some decent kit for a change...

5. ChrisBedford

Oh - that's right, there aren't any OEMS already offering Linux on their PC's. Yeah I forgot.

3. hitmouse
    FAIL

Acer were big supporters of the tablet form factor a decade ago, and good partners to Microsoft.

As a *customer*, I must say that they're completely hopeless at backing their tablets once they've got your cash. if you want to talk about alienation, I'm quite happy to put up my hand.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let them riot

Products like Surface and Nexus are a good way for a software company to keep the hardware manufacturers (and telcos) in line, ensuring they don't stray too far from how the product is supposed to work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let them riot

"Products like Surface and Nexus are a good way for a software company to keep the hardware manufacturers (and telcos) in line"

Products like Android, Linux and other alternatives are a good way for an OEM Company to get a declining software company in line.

2. h4rm0ny

The following quote from Acer made me laugh: "It is not something you are good at, so please think twice"

Acer wouldn't object if the Surface was a worse product than their own. They're more concerned about it being better. Statements from MS about "we might sell a few million" and that they'll only be selling them directly, not through the "channel" begin to point more strongly toward the Surface being a tool to make manufacturers up their game, rather than an actual plan to enter the hardware market in a large capacity. I'm well in favour of that - if MS can get the others to up their game, that's a great thing, imo.

1. Justbe

It seems counterproductive to offer a product that a) competes with your OEM partners.who are your customers and pay you $90 a device, b) is claimed to be superior to anything your partners offer and c) is going to be pricey and not widely available.

The end result might result in end customers just going elsewhere.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@h4rm0ny - Re: Let them riot

No it's rather a tool to bring back OEMs in line, they've been acting too independently in the last years.

5. flibbertigibbet
    Facepalm

Clam down people

The surface is based on the same OS as WinPhone. Why are they panicking? No one is going to buy the thing anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clam down people

Surface is either WinRT (Windows on ARM) or full Windows 8, depending upon the tablet you get. So it's only the same OS on a WP8, if you are talking about the Kernel.

1. Levente Szileszky
        Stop

He's talking about this junk UI called Metro* that everyone hates so far...

*or whatever its name right now - seeing the horrible reception of this broken crap no wonder Microsoft is trying to change the name...

2. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Speak for yourself. I want one, and they will be massive in the corporate space.

3. William Old
      Happy

"The surface is based on the same OS as WinPhone. Why are they panicking? No one is going to buy the thing anyway."

I'm not so sure, given the excruciating embarrassment of its worldwide launch, when it locked up completely... after all, given the increasing unpredictability of the weather, millions of people will need something to wedge their doors open with in a high wind...

6. Fuzz

Make something better

OEMs are only worried because the surface looks good. Of course at the moment we know nothing about price or any real specs but if MS sells a tablet that is better than yours for less money why wouldn't you worry.

MS should do the same thing with laptops, turn out something with a decent resolution so the OEMs have an idea of what a laptop made in 2012 should look like (hint, it should probably have better resolution than ones sold in 2002)

1. tony72

Re: Make something better

I agree. It takes someone like Apple to design something like the MacBook Air, then someone like Intel to do R&D and produce and promote reference designs, before the Acers et al can produce something comparable. Left to their own devices, all they'll come up with is endless mediocre me-too products, while cutting as many corners as possible to maintain their margins.

Perhaps Microsoft should license the Surface design to OEMs, or let them produce clones (with very strict rules to make sure they don't f*#k up the design). The current plan seems to be to hope that the OEMs will take a lead from the Surface and come up with good designs of their own to compete, but I'm not entirely convinced that that will happen.

1. jim 45
        Thumb Up

Re: Make something better

"Left to their own devices, all they'll come up with is endless mediocre me-too products, while cutting as many corners as possible to maintain their margins."

Exactly. The Surface could be exactly the kick in the rear that companies like Acer, HP etc so desperately need. Hey maybe it will even be free of cr@pware.

7. wowfood

Anyone think Balmer may secretly be working for apple or linux? I mean, the sabotage of the windows interface, the alienation of their hardware partners. He must be working for one of those companies.

Unless another fourth entity is working on its own OS which will be revealed around 2013.

1. K
      Mushroom

lol.. Given how much they have royally screwed the interface, I wouldn't completely discount it. Either that or he's got a hidden grudge against Bill :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

"working for linux[sic]"

You speak as if "Linux" was a company, you know, a commercial entity in its own right.

It'd be like working for "Windows", "iOS" or "Ubuntu" as opposed to working for Microsoft, Apple or Canonical.

I don't think Ballmer's type would be tolerated on LKML however. ;-)

8. Julian Taylor

"we may sell a few million, I don't know how many"

Dear God Almighty. A multi-billion dollar corporate CEO actually dares to come out with a statement like that? Can you ever imagine Gates, Jobs or anyone else saying such a crass thing?

In the UK it is really easy - you give the man a peerage, a non-executive directorship and an electric golf cart. What's the alternative to dealing with Ballmer in the US?

1. Levente Szileszky
      Stop

Re: "we may sell a few million, I don't know how many"

Become a politician - and no, I really don't want to see that.

2. h4rm0ny

Re: "we may sell a few million, I don't know how many"

"Dear God Almighty. A multi-billion dollar corporate CEO actually dares to come out with a statement like that? Can you ever imagine Gates, Jobs or anyone else saying such a crass thing?"

Sounds pretty much perfect as a threat, to be honest. If the other manufacturers don't start producing better quality products, they'll just order another million. And they'll keep doing it until better quality hardware for Win8 appears. In this scenario you don't want to give a hard number, you want to keep it open ended as all good threats should be.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Mephistro
      Trollface

Re: "we may sell a few million, I don't know how many" (@ Julian Taylor)

" What's the alternative to dealing with Ballmer in the US?"

I once overheard something about taking him to the backyard and putting him to sleep. Think it was in an episode of 'Family guy'.

9. Arctic fox
    Thumb Down

Whilst one can of course have various opinions about both the new os and............

..............whether or not MS are wise to get into the hardware game in this area I cannot believe that I am the only one who thinks the "Acer" is one of the last OEMs who has any right to be the one leading the charge here.

1. DJV Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Whilst one can of course have various opinions about both the new os and............

Totally agree. I've experienced the "pleasure" of having to deal with the crap they nail into computer cases before. Just the once mind, it arrived faulty, it was sent back with a note with the fault fully described. It came back with the same fault, money was (eventually) refunded.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whilst one can of course have various opinions about both the new os and............

You are correct, Acer is a grownup company that should be able to survive without relying on Microsoft OS. If not, then they should quit the PC business.

3. h4rm0ny

Acer have the most to worry about. You don't see Toshiba or Lenovo getting all panicky about a new entrant to the market.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. MarkL

Bring it!

This sort of article pointing out the possible 'rift' between Microsoft and it's OEM partners is a little late to the party isn't it? Tech news and blog sites went over this again and again after the surface was announced. What purpose does it serve to cover it again ... unless of course, there is an agenda to push.

The reasons why Microsoft are doing this are obvious. Time and again Microsoft released products that had a huge amount of potential, only for OEM partners to release hardware that was lukewarm at best, and failed to deliver the promise that was absolutely possible.

This, therefore is no different from graphics chip vendors selling their own reference graphics cards, or Intel selling motherboards of it's own, whilst also simultaneously selling chipsets to third parties. It's not going to be the big 'problem' being suggested - all it will do is help ensure that there's at least one tablet out there that really shines, and if OEMs rise to the challenge, there will be plenty of alternative choices that shine too. Let's wait and see.

1. asdf

Re: Bring it!

>or Intel selling motherboards of it's own whilst also simultaneously selling chipsets to third parties

AMD actually goes one better and only does a reference chipset to get the ball rolling to allow 3rd parties to make their own chipsets unlike Intel who use the courts to prevent this.

2. Richard Plinston

Re: Bring it!

> Time and again Microsoft released products that had a huge amount of potential, only for OEM partners to release hardware that was lukewarm at best, and failed to deliver the promise that was absolutely possible.

OEMs make a range of hardware from cheap PCs to expensive top of the range. If you want 'absolutely possible' then pay the price of that it _is_ available.

But then you probably want Ferrari machines for Yugo prices and wind up disappointed.

OEMs do have an issue with Microsoft, they have to send much of their revenue to them for Windows and Office on PCs. For tablets they will have to send $80 or so for the privilege of making these, yet MS will probably have to subsidize Surface to have it sell, or at least not charge themselves the $80.

12. DrXym

They're going to cost too much

I'd be interested in a Surface which offered a full blown Windows 8 experience. I could use touch while holding the thing but plug a mouse / keyboard in and suddenly it's just Windows. That's pretty cool and useful providing the storage space allows me to put some apps and games on there. The problem is I suspect the thing will cost so much money and have such limits on its size (especially with a proper keyboard cover), battery, storage and memory that it won't offer any advantage over an ultrabook. It's not like ultrabooks are inconvenient to carry around (or netbooks for that matter) and I'm sure we'll see some which are touchscreen enabled or in a tablet form factor without the same limitations.

The Windows RT Surface is bound to be cheaper but then it is a subset of Windows, running a different architecture and offers a gimped experience. There is no desktop, no binary compatibility. Just metro and whatever subset of apps that developers can be bothered to port over to it. It's also likely in this form that it will still cost as much if not more than premium Android tablets and won't offer much to justify that cost. This is going to become even more pronounced as a wave of smaller tablets from Apple and Android vendors appear significantly undercutting it.

So I think Microsoft could be in trouble. The high end tablet is desirable but too expensive. The low end tablet is gimped and probably expensive too.

I'll still try and pick up a freebie tablet and Windows 8 when MS does it's usual launch song and dance but I've yet to read anything which convince me to ever buy one.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: They're going to cost too much

"So I think Microsoft could be in trouble. The high end tablet is desirable but too expensive. The low end tablet is gimped and probably expensive too."

I'm probably going to buy one (you can probably guess that from my enthusiastic posts ;), but I've been putting off buying a new machine for a while (trying to land on the right side of the next technology push). If you consider it more costly than it is worth for you, it may still be a good thing because it will almost certainly encourage other manufacturers to produce similar machines that are cheaper. I think MS are making this as a reference machine for others to follow.

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

We dont know what they will cost yet....Microsoft might go in with a loss leader. Don't forget they will have a new income stream from the App Store....

1. Richard Plinston

> Microsoft might go in with a loss leader.

Yes _that_ will please the OEMs.

Microsoft have a business plan that requires increasing revenue every year. With PC sales stagnant they need to steal revenue from somewhere, mainly their 'partners'. Surface will take it from OEMs, appstore will steal it from retail and OEMs, MS shops and online will take it from retail.

They won't take it from Apple or Google.

2. DrXym

"We dont know what they will cost yet....Microsoft might go in with a loss leader. Don't forget they will have a new income stream from the App Store...."

They might but they won't for a few reasons. a) antitrust suits from their hardware partners who won't take too kindly to being unfairly undercut b) greed, c) it's pitched as "premium" device with magnesium case.

IMO Most likely their cheap end tablet will slightly undercut the iPad, just as many high end Android tablets do and the keyboard will be an accessory. The true Windows 8 tablet will be in the ultrabook price band but may throw in the keyboard to sweeten the deal depending on how expensive it turns out to be.

13. b166er

Acer (or ALi) can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned. One of the worst culprits for putting 'not-quite-enough-RAM' in computers and pre-loading them with crapware.

All these whining parasites can piss off really. We're supposed to believe that it's a symbiotic relationship, but the truth is, it's the OS and its apps people want, not the box it's running on. (for reference, please see linux powered netbooks)

For the record, I'm OSnostic

1. Nader

You know what you're talking about

Acer has the worst support in the business (of the big OEM companies) , and they don't care to ask what the customer wants. ASUS is the only manufacturer that actually asks AND delivers what people want.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new MS tablets. Finally full Windows functionality in a nice format!

1. toadwarrior
        Trollface

Re: You know what you're talking about

And complete with all the BSoDs, bugs and malware you expect from a MS product.

1. RICHTO
          Mushroom

Re: You ^dont know what you're talking about

That comment is a bit out of date. Windows has had a better security vulnerability record than both major enteprise Linux distributions without exception very year since 2003....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@RICHTO - Re: You ^dont know what you're talking about

Oh, really ? So why do they need secure boot then ? Or anti-virus software for that matter ?

1. dogged
              FAIL

Re: @RICHTO - You REALLY dont know what you're talking about

Maybe if the two major linux distros had secure boot and antivirus baked in they wouldn't have had such a poor record over the last two years.

2. ChrisBedford

You DON'T know what you are talking about

It's frankly quite boring hearing people (usually Linux and Apple fanbois) parroting that BSoD line. I run Windows every day, on several computers, running several apps on multiple monitors, and I honestly can't remember when last I saw a BSoD - certainly many years ago.

I also support hundreds of user machines from companies with many PCs (and Apples) down through SoHo and single-user installations - including grannies in old age homes - and haven't seen a BSoD on any of those in years, either, that wasn't caused by a hardware fault.

So please, until you are talking about something you actually have some knowledge or experience of, shut it. It's people like you who talk unfounded nonsense that actually perpetuate myths and bias, based purely on your own prejudice. Not doing anyone any favours.

14. Ken Hagan Gold badge

$90

"Rumours in the market suggest Microsoft will charge PC builders up to $90 to install Windows 8 onto their devices, but as Canalys pointed out this may price manufacturers out of the market."

Are these the devices that are locked down so that you *can't* ditch the OS it came with and replace it with something decent? I wouldn't take one of those if *you* paid *me* $90 off the price of the raw hardware.

That's a ridiculous premium for an OS that is both unproven and quite possibly not as good as the free alternative. If MS don't get badly burned by this, I fear for the future of humanity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: $90

The rumour I heard was $65 for 10" devices and above for WinRT. Windows 8 same as Windows 7. $65 still seems high to me on the BOM if competing against iPad.

I doubt Apple or Microsoft or Android device manufacturers havfe a magifying glass powerful enough to care about the tiny proportion of people who want to buy a Windows or iOS device in order to "ditch the OS". The future of humanity is safe.

1. Chemist

""ditch the OS""

I think rather a lot more want NO OS devices so they can chose !

1. dogged

I think rather a lot more want NO OS devices so they can chose !

Maybe they're selling on Earth and not Planet Nerd.

2. ChrisBedford

That's it, go charging off on rumour - don't bother to check your facts first. That way there's no fun in MS-bashing.

The "locking down" is ONLY for machines that are sold specifically as Windows computers. All OEMs have always had non-Windows alternatives available, which are cheaper anyway. Why would you pay extra for a machine with WIndows pre-installed and then install Linux?

And locking down would never apply to machines assembled from components - have you seen how many different manufacturers of motherboards there are? And how many models each one sells?

15. Mikel
    Happy

This is a great idea.

Dell competes with Acer. Does Acer ship their competitor Dell prerelease hardware to develop the drivers for them? Why not? Do they think Dell might do less than their best work, or steal their ideas?

16. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

I'm torn

I can't decide whether to buy a surface because it is cool and interesting and something new, or to shun it because it is made by the Antichrist.

Let's see, does Acer's opinion help me at all? No, because I would not value their opinion on whether their bum needed wiping, let alone anything remotely clever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

"...shun it because it is made by the Antichrist..."

Please stay where you are, I've called the hyperbole Police and they'll be right round to pick you up.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Hyperbole Police

hey, I'll plead guilty to the "cool and interesting", but I'll take the 'blindingly obvious' defence over the Antichrist thing.

17. Uncle Siggy
    Boffin

checks and balances

I am a consumer who had enthusiasm for Microsoft products early on, but once introduced to Linux became much more open-minded about choice. These days I use Microsoft at work, Solaris at work, Linux at work and home, and OSX at home and abroad. I have heavily migrated my Windows workloads to OSX, and no longer help my family with their Windows/PCs.

It is pleasing to see that disruptions to the marketplace have put Apple and Microsoft into competition. It is good for products, and for customers. If it gets bad again, OSS will surely keep the others in line, if not supplant the both of them. I hope Surface is an excellent useful product, as with Linux driven mobile devices, lest Apple get the idea we need less innovation and less choice.

18. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Whatever is bad for Microsoft is good for everyone else.

I hope the Surface is moderately successful, so that Micro$oft doesn't want to kill it off, and at the same time, OEM's are sufficiently pissed off that they begin selling Android tablets instead.

Whatever is bad for Microsoft is good for everyone else. They've had a stranglehold on the PC for far too long and it's time for them to be taken down. Way overdue.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Whatever is bad for Microsoft is good for everyone else.

I up-voted you because some of what you said is true (i.e. we need more and real competition for the mass buyers of computers), even though I suspect you need to keep taking the dried frog pills...

2. RICHTO
      Mushroom

But Crapple own tablets and phones and they are a zillion times worse than Microsoft.

OS-X has nearly as many security vulnerabilities as Linux....!

1. h4rm0ny

Richto - you keep posting these sorts of comments. Linux is an impressively secure operating system. I don't know whether it is slightly better or slightly worse than Windows 7, but last time I checked they were comparable. Most security failures result from user behaviour or bad configuration, not failures in the software. And that is true of both Windows and Linux. Windows 7 is a good operating system. So is 8 in my opinion. I'm very enthusiastic about both. But lets also have a little respect for Linux. It is perfectly allowable that both can be good. Operating Systems are not football teams.

2. Chemist

@RICHTO

As you seem convinced of the superiority of Windows software over ANYTHING else I'm suprised that you waste your obviously valuable time on us philistines.

So I suggest that you let us get on with using 'inferior' software and in exchange we won't think about you at all.

How about that ?

19. David Harrington 1
    FAIL

Storm in a teacup

Surface is all about raising the bar for what is a huge change to Windows, the biggest since Windows 95, not about competing with OEMs - I doubt they will sell a huge number or indeed expect to, at least initially. If Acer has some interesting new hardware to show us, like its more innovative rival Asus which I notice has been quiet on this subject, then what is stopping it? Microsoft has quite rightly realised that a step change in software means the same for hardware - and it is sending its OEMs a strong hint that the same old hardware just won't compete with the likes of Apple at all. If OEMs fail to step up to the mark, then they will surely extend sales to general retail channels with a suitable excuse like "in the light of strong demand for our series of innovative tablets...". At the moment, the tablet market is a one horse race, which is bad for everybody; Nexus 7 isn't even competing in the same space. The SECC filing is a red herring - this was more a regulatory and legal statement to avoid the potential of being sued by some dim wit shareholder who didn't realise the potential for competition. Acer already sells Android tablets which have notably failed to trouble Apple, so what exactly is Acer's cunning plan if Microsoft continues to go for Surface? The real issue for Acer is that they can't continue to sell the same hardware at vastly inflated prices, just because it happens to have Windows on. When I can buy Windows 8 for $39.99 and put it on any hardware I want, the $90 OEM claim seems way too high.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Storm in a teacup

> Nexus 7 isn't even competing in the same space.

There is no 'tablet market'. There is 'iPod/iPad/iPhone' market and there is an 'Android/phone/cheap tablet/topend tablet' market. Buyers will be in one, and only one, of these markets and will choose which brand/model to buy based on price, size, style.

Surface will not be in either of these markets and will compete in the Windows laptop/notebook/ultrabook market and buyers here will choose based on similar criteria of price, style, size.

There will be almost no buyers that would choose between an iPad or a Surface or an Android, that is like choosing to buy a new fridge or a new TV.

> When I can buy Windows 8 for $39.99

No you can't, you can only buy Win8 for that if you have previously paid for some other Windows. Thus the price is (previous version price + $39.99).

20. Joe Montana
    FAIL

Why rethink?

Why should MS rethink anything?

They can treat the OEMs however they like, it is the OEMs that need MS and not the other way round. MS has them all over a barrel, and for all the complaining they do they will eventually suck up whatever MS tells them to.

MS have a long history of screwing over any company foolish enough to partner with them. It's foolish enough to set your business up to be dependent on a single supplier, especially one with such a history.

21. This post has been deleted by its author

22. adam payne

Never a good thing to annoy your partners.

23. BobBarker
    Big Brother

What's a little lawsuit between friends?

This might get interesting if OEMs start ripping off Surface patents. Will MS sue their own "partners"?

1. ChrisBedford

Re: What's a little lawsuit between friends?

Why not, it's been going on for decades. Apple is currently suing partner Samsung.

24. 2Fat2Bald

I see what's going on.

MS are looking at Apple and seeing somone who produces their own hardware and software and sells them together, to great benefit & profit and are trying to move in the same direction themselves. I understand that - although I suspect that if they plan to try to topple the iPad they're going to need something pretty special to do this.

I can see what they're trying to achieve. I just don't think they're going to manage it. Get the slate to market, working well without compromise, for £200 as a loss-leader to establish a user base and - maybe - they'll have a chance. But make is a straight choice between an iPad or a Surface at the same price and they've got no chance. Of course the problem with the "budget" approach is that Android already has this covered. So maybe they should just stick to the "PC and Laptop" market (ie what they are (were?) actually GOOD at!).

But I still think Ubuntu would be a lot more popular if people would only try it. I've been using it for around a month on an old HP notebook - it's fine. Everything works, and works well, and it's free and there are applications available for it to do almost everything you'd want to do!

25. David Strum
    Mushroom

Like a man trying hard to escape his fate - he ends up helping bring it about.

Good – I hope MS makes a mess and the whole TEC ecosystem goes tits up. It’s only the end of the world in any case.

In trying to escape its inevitable decline, Microsoft may be helping to speed it up! Microsoft don’t want to become another IBM, so it hopes to compete with Apple, which is exactly what Apple wants - disaster will happen.

26. ChrisBedford

"Getting into" the hardware game?

MS has been making hardware since 1982 - before Acer was even called Acer, and long before they made PC hardware. And their hardware is nicer than Acer's.

Microsoft's multi-touch user interface was released before Apple's, and their track record on hardware in general is pretty good - on consumer devices, stellar. Whereas Acer has never released *anything* revolutionary, or sexy, or even interesting, for that matter. Reliable, OK; cool, naah. Leaders, they ain't.

Sounds like sour grapes, Mr Kan.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like