back to article Stone shatters kid Rock: Gamers not as flush as they used to be

Stone Group has killed off the Rock Group operation, which built hefty gaming laptops and notebooks, claiming it saw "no potential" in its future. Staffordshire-based PC builder Stone bought the assets of Rock Group in late May 2008 after the firm was placed into administration by Nick Boardman, who founded the business some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Irongut

Never heard of them. What kind of moron buys a laptop for gaming anyway?

1. Paul Shirley

More top the point, what serious gamer would play on a laptop. And no-one else would pay so much for one.

1. Aldous

can't see why especially given the huge price markup. I use my work issued lenovo w510 for gaming when i am away and the thing pumps out enough heat you could use the fan outlet for cooking. i'd hate to see what happens when something even beefier is running full tilt (not to mention the inevitable crap battery)

2. CADmonkey
      Flame

RE: Never heard of them. What kind of moron buys a laptop for gaming anyway?

I'm guessing you don't get out much. Folks who do, and like gaming, buy a 'gaming laptop'.

I am reminded of the following definition from the Viz Profanisaurus:

- wanker (noun): a fellow road user

2. Mondo the Magnificent
    Thumb Down

On the Rock[s]

In the initial takeover, the Rock side of the business was good, the products flowed due to Rock's key staff being brought into the Stone Group and the R&D, marketing was great.

Nick Boardman left Stone, and then came the downsize and enforced basic salary reductions at Stone in September 2010 which claimed the technical / R&D staff which originated from Rock.

This comes as no surprise to me at all, just like Stone lost or culled all the key Compusys staff the same happened with the key Rock staff.

Needless to say, without the key staff and zero continuity strategy it was academic from there onwards that this business sector would decay

Stone's focus is education and local government. Those lovely Rock branded gaming systems were living on borrowed time.

End of an era and a viable alternative to AlienWare...

3. Dean 1
    Unhappy

A big shame indeed, Rock had some great quality machines and support.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like