back to article Apple shifts 3 million iPads in 3 days: But how many were Minis?

Apple sold three million iPad 4s and iPad Minis in the weekend after the device launched, Apple announced in a bullish release today that described the sales as "record-breaking". Sales were double the 1.5 million sales of the iPad 3 in its first weekend in March. “We set a new launch weekend record and practically sold out of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

The usual benchmark missing

How many stores "sold out"? That's usually how Apple define success. And usually what causes people to claim that it's artificially limited.

2. Peter Black

Competition for iPad Mini

I'm honestly not sure that Apple really see themselves as competing with existing 7" tablets, notwithstanding the comparisons at the launch. I suspect the target audience is people who want an iPad, but one that's smaller and thinner.

1. Mike Brown

Re: Competition for iPad Mini

close but the real reason:

I suspect the target audience is people who want an iPad, but one that's cheaper

1. Peter Black

Re: Competition for iPad Mini

Okay, smaller and thinner and a little bit cheaper... :-)

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The figure is surprising

given the blasting it has received in elReg and other sites from the hordes of Fandroids

you know the one who slate the fact that it has no 3g(yet), gps, NFC and a whole host other things that seem to be must haves on every tablet.

given that most tablets never leave the home why would you need GPS or NFC on such a device is quite beyond me.

I got a Kindle Fire HD last week and it seems to be quite a decent device. I was tempted to wait for the iPad Mini but after playing with one in PC-World I found that it would do everything it wanted to.

These two devices seem pretty evently matched.

1. Mike Brown

Re: The figure is surprising

why wouldnt you take it out and about? Home is for laptops, and tellies, and bluray players. Out and about is surely what tablets are designed for.

2. Eddy Ito

I don't know why it's surprising. I've been seeing reports of a surge in folks ditching their old iPad in anticipation of the new models. What I want to know is that given Apple started its "recycling" program, how many old iPads do they get back and what does it cost in total? Of course I assume they do something smart like resell them, donate them to schools for a tax write off or some such.

1. El_Fev

You want to know what happens to old ipads, EBAY!!

4. Eek
    Thumb Up

Personally I saw the iPad mini this afternoon and bought the last one in that apple store. At half the weight of the iPad there will be an awful lot of people who will see one, pick it up and instantly buy one as I did to replace the new iPad I have been using.

Heck you can even type on it reasonably well as this post shows (somewhat badly).

5. The_Regulator
    Windows

practically sold out of iPad minis," CEO Tim Cook said.

that comment pretty much says it all, coupled with the fact that it was 2 devices you know thats just some talk from the CEO. I just love how crapple can put a bow on a piece of **** and call it gold and so many isheeps buy it (perhaps not in this case though.)

Personally I would take a google or windows tablet over the ipad mini any day but thats just me.

1. jai

and personally i'd take an apple product over a google or windows one, but that's just me. my biased outlook on life counterbalances yours, and the world spins on in harmony...

2. Shagbag

"practically sold out"

"Practically". I love that. It reminds me of Larry Ellison's quote "We're number one in applications, behind SAP". ie. they're not #1, they're #2.

The same goes for this quote. "We practically sold out of iPad Minis." ie. They didn't sell out of iPad Minis. That's all that can be inferred from the quote.

6. toadwarrior

3 million ipads is 3 million ipads. Quite frankly, I wouldn't care if it were minis, 3 or 2, if I were them.

7. Anal Leakage

Notice how skepticism-free the Reg article on Asus' vague Nexus 7 sales figures was?

8. HipposRule

Someone I work with (who goes through gadgets like no tomorrow) got his Mini, thought the resolution was crap and made £40 profit at CEX - then bought and iPad4

9. Emperor Zarg
    WTF?

What is an iPad 4?

Quote from article: "Apple sold three million iPad 4s and iPad Minis in the weekend after the device launched"

I am beginning to suspect that our alien overlords abducted me for a period of time. I appear to have missed something.

What is an iPad 4?

I assumed that people were referring to the Mini as an iPad 4, but the quote from the article, and the comment from HipposRule, suggest they are two different things.

1. Emperor Zarg
      Alien

Now I know

Turns out I had been abducted. I completely missed the launch of the iPad 4.

For anyone else that also missed it... it's an iPad 3 with a faster CPU (1.4GHz A6X), new GPU and an improved front camera.

This topic is closed for new posts.