back to article Windows Phone 8 will be 'less than explosive' - HP bigwig

HP is in no rush to accelerate its reentry into the world of smartphones: last week's launch of a certain mobile operating system by Microsoft passed without so much as a whiff of any new handy handheld hardware from Palo Alto. Smartphones and tablets remain the growth drivers for intelligent devices, outstripping demand in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jason 7
    Unhappy

As a former Pre 2 owner.....

...I would be averse to purchasing any phone from HP.

Once bitten......

2. The_Regulator

LOL @ HP

We don't have any devices but we feel like we should comment anyway. How about HP shuts ots pie hole and makes some better pc's and printers first then worries about mobile....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: LOL @ HP

HP were Windows Mobile OEMs in the past. Their iPaq devices were nicely made.

They should contribute to the ecosystem if they feel they know something Microsoft doesn't. Android doesn't need any more help and you can't really contribute to the iOS ecosystem other than by making docks.

1. The_Regulator

Re: LOL @ HP

Agreed but key word in the past, HP is not cool though anymore, its kinda like the jumpers my dad buys......outdated.

1. Ramazan

Re: HP is not cool though anymore

They are still quite good in servers (HP-UX, VMS).

3. tirk
    Joke

Odd...

Epic train-crashes normally tend to be explosive!

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Burning platforms

"declining [Windows] PC industry" and the unique selling feature of a Windows 8 phone will be "how the phone and [Windows] PC operating systems will work together."

Planned obsolescence is supposed to kick in after the warranty expires, not before the customer makes a purchase.

5. The Cube
    Happy

So, no Sony batteries in WinPhone 8 then?

(less than explosive)

6. LOLtards

Debating

I was debating switching to win pho 8 when my 4s contract ends.

All i see is doom articles.

Guess i should stop being lazy and actually visit a phone shop and try out a few models.

I like the look of the s3 but thats way too big which had me thinking of win phone 8. Ios is boring now. Nothing seems to have changed since ios 3.5. Siri crap, bookshelf crap. Only good update was panaramic camera images in ios 6

1. jason 7
      Meh

Re: Debating

There does appear to be a lot of bandwagon chasing and herdrage from a lot of lazy tech writers regarding Windows 8 and its incarnations.

You read these articles and you think "how long have these guys actually used IT or worked in the IT space?".

A lot of what they have been whining about is usually pretty pointless or changeable with a couple of clicks.

2. CmdrX3

Re: Debating

I have to agree, and I'm not so sure Windows Phone 8 will be the failure some are predicting. Possibly in the short term it won't do as well, but in the longer term as those who buy Windows 8 PC's or upgrade to Windows 8 get used to the interface, then the WP8 interface will also become familiar when/if they are looking for a new phone. the apps aren't there yet, but then they weren't there for 7.5 either at the start and they managed to get 150,000 apps. Nothing compared to Apple or Android perhaps but still not too slack. For it to be any type of success I believe apps must be a cross platform purchase. Buy it for Windows 8 on the PC, and it's also available for your phone or tablet, and it must be relatively easy for developers to transfer their app code from one platform to another to prevent the excessive costs it developers may incur. I have no idea whether these conditions already exist or not, if so then it may very well be a success. Microsoft though, do need to give developers some incentive to commit to the platform, particularly if they commit to cross platform app production perhaps through reducing their own profit share of the app for a period of time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like