back to article Report: McAfee founder wanted for murder in Belize

John McAfee, the founder of the antivirus software firm that still bears his name, is wanted in Belize in connection with the murder of American expatriate Gregory Faull, who was found dead on Sunday. Marco Vidal, head of the country's Gang Suppression Unit, told Gizmodo that McAfee was a prime suspect in the case. Faull, who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

"A male housekeeper living in Paul's home has said he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary on the night in question, but did say that it had been raining very heavily."

It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out...

1. GreggS

The butler did it.

2. LarsG
      Meh

So he stole a few items and left did he?

Who are they kidding. They will probably find him face down in a river somewhere or else never find the body and then close the case.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

An eccentric millionaire with a grudge next door... a Luger (!?)shell on the floor... why do I get the feeling that the McAfee's body is in a crab net on the bottom of the ocean and the perpetrator is fleeing Belize in McAfee's military surplus submarine and $100 million in cash piled on the floor?

1. Steve the Cynic

Re: 9mm Luger

"9mm Luger" is almost certainly a sideways way of saying "Mr. 9mm", that is, any weapon firing 9x19 Parabellum or compatible ammunition. (OK, most likely not a Sten, because single shots aren't exactly a Sten's style, but you get the idea.)

2. Psyx
        Holmes

"So he stole a few items and left did he?

Who are they kidding. They will probably find him face down in a river somewhere or else never find the body and then close the case."

So an eccentric paranoid IT security guru worth $100 million who hangs out with drug dealers neatly one shotted his neighbour, took an obviously traceable phone and laptop and totally disappeared in a South American country, and the police assume murder?

My first thought would be kidnap!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Technically, it's in Central America. It's also a friendly tax haven for some UK peers, a few of whom are even nationals.

I can think of worse places to hang out if you've not much better to do: there are something like 200 Caribbean coral atolls to take your pick from if you can stand the odd hurricane blowing through.

1. Psyx
            Pint

"I can think of worse places to hang out if you've not much better to do"

Both worse and better. But a country where a neighbour waves firearms around in a threatening or careless manner and doesn't go to jail doesn't sound so great!

It's a bit annoying: All the countries with great human rights and high standards of living seem to have all the cold or wet weather! If I had enough in the bank to live a life of luxury, it'd really annoy me more!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry

He will be easy to catch, due to his massive footprints, and the fact that he runs really slowly. Following reports of random crashes will probably be the easiest way to zero in on his location.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: Don't worry

All you need is an update and he'll be back where he started.

2. dotdavid
      Holmes

Re: Don't worry

I think there will be a surge of demand for McAfee antivirus, as it will have a kind of "gangsta" street appeal now.

3. An ominous cow herd
    Mushroom

"Super perv powder"

Well, well, when searching Google for "super perv powder", it only knows this one article on El Reg.

So... what else can you tell us about it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@An ominous cow herd:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylenedioxypyrovalerone

It wasn't all that difficult to find, and seeing as how, whenever I can, I try to help the handicapped....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Re: @An ominous cow herd:

You know, there's only one circle of hell beyond that for pedophiles, patent trolls, and bashar al assad - and it's for people who point out the failure of others to perform internet searches adequately.

You have been warned.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's been some strange things going on with John McAfee of late. Makes you wonder what this 'Quorum Sensing' antibiotics venture he embarked upon is all about. He's obviously gone and got himself into the deep end of something.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Have you heard the latest?

I read a report recently that he is wanted for questioning by the police.

I have no idea why.

5. Jop
    Coffee/keyboard

Spot the Mcafee

Mcafee was posting on a well known drugs forum a few years ago, see if you can guess which poster is him ;)

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/541627-Hello-and-an-MDPV-Question/page11

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spot the Mcafee

Holy crap... any idea if he had a midget version of himself and run around in bedsheets wearing pancake make-up?

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

The red pill please.

It was great. I'd guessed even before he went, "I suppose...I should introduce myself. My name is John. Here are some pictures of my tropical lair where I engage medical research on the production of bacterial highs, and by the way, shove these drugs up your jacksie."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've not heard of the fucker before now...just some dude who stated a software company and won. Then this week I read about him (a link off of fark, if memory serves, but could be wrong) about how he was living a mad lifestyle -also paedopilia- and even the locals thought he was going too far.

And now this.

I want to see evidence. The guy could be dead guilty for all I know; but the sudden media attention smells of poo.

7. El Presidente
    Mushroom

Oh

The horror.

8. Esskay
    Coat

Did they do a full search of the house?

Or just a quick scan?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Did they do a full search of the house?

Could be a false positive.

9. Connor

Red Herring.

If you don't get a man on a drugs and firearms charges, the murder of a foreign national is the logical next step. I am not saying he is innocent, but I have seen and read one too many spy/thrillers to follow the most obvious conclusion.

Besides, any man that fails to hear a Luger go off in a house has got to be guilty of something.

10. jubtastic1
    Trollface

Can't seem to face up to the facts, tense and nervous, can't relax.

Giveaway is that despite claiming the government raided him twice, wants him dead, poisoned his dogs and set him up for murder he still doesn't want to leave the country, because it's nice.

There's more on this story at wired, he's been regaling them with his tale of how he outwitted the Police by burying himself up to his neck in sand and disguising his head with a cardboard box.

My gut says he's tripping his balls off and is a danger to all and sundry.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: Can't seem to face up to the facts, tense and nervous, can't relax.

Not 'the police' but 'the Police'? I didn't realize that Sting was that tough of a guy to get away from.

11. dssf

A REAL "Mac Attack"?

McDonalds might be impressed....

By the way, as for brand name dropping, we get iPhone, and we get Luger (much, MUCH longer history than Apple).

But, why no ID'ing of the laptop? The phone brand is UTTERLY irrelevant to this story. The gun brand IS, however. Yet, another bit of free advertising....

And, is he a variation of Sasquatch? "large feet" and slow running could be code for Bigfoot, :-)

Quick, put Steve and Jamie on the case!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A REAL "Mac Attack"?

" The phone brand is UTTERLY irrelevant to this story. The gun brand IS, however. Yet, another bit of free advertising...."

Written in America, where the 9mm Parabellum round often seems to be called 9mm Luger. Just identifying the ammo. Nice try.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Killer App?

H67.Luger.9@MM has been detected in your system core. Would you like to clean, delete or ignore?

13. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Obvious really.

He thought that the victim was a psychopathic, axe-wielding lunatic intent on killing him and defended himself.

Shame about the false positive......

14. Kurgan
    Thumb Up

CoC RPG?

Belize, stormy night, homicide, lunatic millionaire, home-made drugs... it really seems to be the beginning of a Call of Cthulhu RPG session.

15. Mike Ozanne

Luger shell.... , that would be a 9mm Parabellum, which is used in a whole host of pistols. You'd only know it was a Luger shell if you forensically matches it to the weapon. One presumes that he took that with him...

16. Metal Marv

What is it with Computer People and Murder?

This is gonna need updating soon : http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/killerquiz/

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If he's caught the police estimate the trial could last 30 days....

18. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

From Gizmodo

Here's the link to the Gizmodo article: http://gizmodo.com/5959812/john-mcafee-wanted-for-murder

At the end, it mentions that his claims had been discredited on the Bluelight discussion board. His prowess in creating drugs was overstated. Seems to be a narrative of what happens when a BS artist is hoist by his own petard.

This topic is closed for new posts.