back to article Apple forced to cut dealers in to get iPad Mini shifting, says analyst

Apple is sacrificing some margin on the iPad Mini in a bid to muster channel support for its late-to-the-party seven-incher - or so says an analyst. According to data from Context, some 10,000 units were shipped through distribution across Western Europe in the first week after launch, compared to the millions of Minis and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. handle
    Thumb Up

Peak Apple

I love it.

1. Silverburn

Re: Peak Apple

Apple has peaked? Are we sure?

I thought this was just another in the series of El Reg titles for Apple...makes a change from Foxcon rebrander, for example.

While I agree with the El Reg sentiment, I can't claim it with anything more concrete than "gut feeling". I hope there's an El Reg article soon to justify the title.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Peak Apple

It would have peaked if a retina display had been fitted. Fanbois will wait for the update next year and then they will sell more.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps if they sold the mini to punters for 207 quid they'd shift a few.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They have no problem shifting them at £269. For most people the extra cost is pretty easy to justify unless you are a rabid iOS hater.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Umm, no

Looked at one of these for the wife and thought - at a £110 difference vs Nexus 7 - I couldn't justify it.

I might do if a reboot with comparative specs comes out in march/Q1/Q2 next year at the same price point, but with better tablets at 60% price - no chance. If it was 32GB at £269 the 35% mark-up would be bearable for the iOS ecosystem/iPhone integration.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Umm, no

Let's hope that, for your sake, your wife does not find out...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Umm, no

Let's hope that, for your sake, your wife does not find out...

Hence - anonymous

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"They have no problem shifting them at £269. For most people the extra cost is pretty easy to justify unless you are a rabid iOS hater."

Tell that to my officemate, an iOS developer, who is dead set on a 32GB Nexus 7. He finds the 200 quid a useful psychological break point.

3. Captain TickTock
    Joke

Message from beyond the grave....

.... "I told you so!"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a simple sale though so the margin isn't so bad - also for most companies there will be add on sales of accessories or services to run on them. In fact the margins are pretty decent compared to the margins people are selling most printers / laptops at.

5. Ted Treen
    Holmes

"...so says an analyst..."

Therefore I immediately rate it as having all the validity of any of the works of The Brothers Grimm.

1. Big_Ted
      Headmaster

OK so you agree with the analyst then.........

As the brothers grim also wrote and published a German Dictionary and a History of the German Language among others about literary history.....

1. Ted Treen
        Facepalm

Re: OK so you agree with the analyst then.........

Thanks Big_Ted. I stand corrected.

Perhaps I should have said "..anything from the ONS, or any Party Manifesto...".

I still believe the vast majority of analysts do little more than cast chicken bones, with results about as credible as that exercise.

"Little" Ted

1. Big_Ted
          Thumb Up

No problem, I call them anal-lysts.

And I would say about as realistic as any forecast from the Met Office for more than 3 days.........

BTW The Bros Grim were always a bit surprised that their Fairy Tales outsold all their other books by such a large amount.....;-)

2. Ian Yates
          Joke

"anything from the ONS"

Damn straight. I read their report the other day that 80% of statistics are just made up! What do we pay them for?!

6. radariba

this is fun............

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad mini sales

I was at an Apple Store at launch day and people were surrounding the iPad mini table 3-deep to get a chance to play with it. A salesman told me they were sold out within minutes of the store opening. I'll believe stories about disappointing sales when I see them.

8. Andrew James

Seven incher

7.9 inches (or whatever) isn't really a seven incher is it?

1. Confuciousmobil

Re: Seven incher

I keep telling my wife it's 'only' seven inches.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

9. sleepy

Really?

Looks to me like a total misunderstanding. Apple hates to see its products discounted. Just a click bait story pretending this price difference isn't just VAT, which I'm sure it is. The whole industry runs on tiny margins supplemented by "marketing support" payments to "well behaved" retailers who don't brag about discounts.

So that's 3% margin then. Business as usual. and don't forget in the EU it's the retailer with the two year warranty obligation, not Apple. Then there's the credit card fee. And have you seen high street rent and rates? And anyway, it's still back ordered, so the whole story is barmy.

1. Nothing-to-see-here

Re: Really?

I'm pretty sure the difference is just VAT.

Trade prices I've seen are at the £225+vat mark, which is £270, so a small discount seems about right...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like