back to article Total APPLE DESKTOP ABSENCE set to last past XMAS - sources

Apple's channel partners and customers will have a desktop shaped hole in their respective portfolio and shopping list this Chrimbo. The new 21.5-inch iMacs were due to start shipping in late November and the 27 inch model was expected in December, but the word in the supply chain is that no products are likely to arrive in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'but what can you do, it's Apple'

Stop dealing with a company that will leave you in the shit time after time, then try and make you feel grateful for the limited stock they allow you to have. Apple have repeatedly shown their contempt for their 'partners'

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Meh

Re: 'but what can you do, it's Apple'

Considering the premium and brand value I don't think companies will stop selling Apple if at the end of the day its brings them cash and makes them look cool (Well not to Apple phobic people like me).

Also its only desktops, notebooks would probably affect resellers more if they didn't have them for a quater.

2. Simon 26
    Devil

Rotten Fruit in non-fake-shortage shocker!

That is all.

1. Silverburn
      Angel

Re: Rotten Fruit in non-fake-shortage shocker!

Manufacturer in standard-channel-and-stock-clearing-exercise-before-new-stock-arrives non-shocker!

Apple in poor execution of above tactic and subsequent loss of revenue shocker!

3. Piro Silver badge
    FAIL

Pointless vanity item

I mean really, a thinner desktop? It's taking up NO less space because the stand is the same size. But now you need an external DVD-Writer cluttering up your desk instead of having that $10 part built into the machine. Great work, Apple, there's rarely been a purer example of form over function.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

This news just in

Rumour has it that Foxconn workers are working overtime getting desktop stock into retail channels by putting iPads on sticks instead.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: This news just in

The funny thing is that I came to the comments to say that I've been waiting for over a year for a new Mac desktop (Mac Pro), but they don't seem to be coming; they just have mains powered ipads on a stand instead

5. Pen-y-gors

But

Desktops are just sooooo 1990s, darling

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But

No way could I fit my desktop in a screen... I have 3 screens (and I sometimes connect a 4th when I feel I need the space)

The great thing is I can upgrade it, yes I know its a shock to Apple Fanbois, but if a part breaks I whip open the side of the case and replace the part, no need to take it to apple and have them charge me a fortune to fix a tiny thing...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeh, I can do that too with my Mac Pro.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except that's untrue - they charged a friend £120 to replace a 1Tb hard drive in his Macbook and at the time the cost of the bare drive alone was not much less. They did all the work - reinstalled the OS and explained how to restore the data via TimeMachine.

The other thing is a LOT of people do not have the knowledge to just whip open the side of the case and replace the part or in the times I have seen people do it - it's usually gone wrong. Friend installed a new CPU but didn't re-mount the heatsink properly (oops) - it's the same with cars or pretty much anything else - technically with the right tools and training you could but if it's not your job / hobby.

1. mccp

Re: £120 to replace a 1Tb hard drive

And they charged me £99 to replace my ATI Radeon HD4670 256MB graphics card. Including labour and VAT. At the same time they replaced my (working) Seagate 1 TB drive because they had issued a recall for them. This was my three year old iMac - not under any warranty of any kind.

I was amazed, I expected to come out of the Apple store minus an arm and a leg.

3. El_Fev

If you want to have multi monitor support, you just get a standard Mac Pro! Awh does that make your e-penis shrinkl!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't believe the hype

Apple are reappy good at this PR hype... ooo there's a world shortage of this and that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't believe the hype

Hype (but no supply) costs sales so I doubt it.

7. Chris007
    Happy

"We are awaiting comment from Apple and if it arrives we'll update accordingly"

Paul, please don't hold your breath whilst waiting will you :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the problem - they are too successful. Demand is higher than supply and they are making the stuff as quickly as they can.

1. jerkyflexoff
      Facepalm

Yea right, keep telling yourself that.

You are a goon if you believe that, they got you hook line and sinker, LOL

9. johnnymotel

alternatively...

buy a MacMini...it's the new MacPro

10. mastodon't
    Megaphone

MacPro? we're all mac pro's here honey

According to my reseller buddyord they aren't going to be updating the MacPros, no faster, stronger, longer, nada. So cherish that tower baby as it's gonna have to last.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad

Apple.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like