back to article Dixons returns to profit in UK, rubs hands as Comet circles drain

Dixons Retail says it's positioned to capitalise on Comet's collapse as the firm returned to profit in the UK for the first time in five years. Group challenges still remain, however, with gadget souk PIXmania still performing "poorly" and those pesky penniless peeps in Southern Europe dragging numbers down. Pre-tax losses …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comet staff

Dixons has offered Comet staff being made redundant a "fair crack" at up to 3,000 temp jobs up for grabs this Christmas...

Very shrewd. Maybe then they'll find out what proper customer service is all about. Dixons/Currys have always had greater choice, but they never have a clue about how to deal with customers. Comet staff, on the other hand, have in my experience been very helpful and non-intrusive.

The wrong one is going, in my opinion.

1. MrXavia

Re: Comet staff

I can't say i've noticed good service from either store... John lewis on the other hand is always good, so I end up buying from them when they have what I want!

2. madferret

Re: Comet staff

Have you been to either store recently? DSG have improved their act in recent times - I was shocked when I took back a faulty router to PC World expecting the usual 'nothing to do with us' fight and they offered an immediate refund. I find their click and collect service very good for those 'I want it now' moments.

Comet on the other hand have had a tired selection of stuff for some time with staff showing no willingness to do more than read the shelf tags.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ madferret - Re: Comet staff

Have I been to either recently? Yup, though 'recently' inevitably means a different comparison than 'previous years', at least as far as my experience goes. Comet is dead/dying and the bigger merged PC World/Currys stores have perked up a bit.

I feel Comet has been as good as it could be, given their target audience, but DSG stores, in particular PC World, have been very poor for general and specific computing-related stuff.

Maybe it's just South Wales.

2. TonyHoyle

disxons? souk?

If I wanted spelling that bad I'd read the daily mail!

1. smudge
      Headmaster

So what would you have written?

"souk" is how I'd have written it. Looks like you can have your choice of soq, souk, esouk, suk, sooq, souq, or suq.

3. Magister

>>Dixons Retail says it's positioned to capitalise on Comet's collapse<<

So rather than offer a better product, they just want to carry on selling the same crap and offer the same awful service to the punters that might have gone to a former competitor.

Nice business model.

1. Gordon 10
      Thumb Up

I wouldnt get too worried

Anyone in Dixons/DSG from the CEO down should be thinking "there but for the grace of god go I" right now.

2. Alan Firminger

Dixons/Currys/PCWorld will be the last shed standing.

Profits will improve while prices rise, sales assistance and after sale service will deteriorate to nothing.

I think the Monopolies Commission should be involved.

4. BugMan
    Angel

Oddly enough

I've found myself buying from Dixons a couple time times this year - the primary reason being that they were cheaper that buying online - now that is strange. The fact that you can actually look at the goods you're buying is a double bonus.

So that either means that online prices have risen or Dixons has got cheaper - or both I guess.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Keep Refrigerated
    Trollface

Well hurray for competition on the high street!

I just love the fact there's so much choice at retail parks these days... should I go to Currys or PC World hmm? Or maybe I should just head to Maplins for some cheaper yet... let's say, exotic branded tech?

7. jb99

They are a lot better

10 years ago dixons / pcworld were a complete embarrassment. But the last few years they do seem to have got quite a bit better. I actually don't mind going to their shop any more. Unlike comet which was horrible.

This topic is closed for new posts.