back to article John McAfee rushed to hospital over heart attack fears

Eccentric tech millionaire and fugitive John McAfee was rushed to a hospital in Guatemala on Thursday after suffering what his lawyer says were two mild heart attacks. At the time, McAfee was in the custody of Guatemala's Special Police Task Force, which had detained him for questioning after he entered the country illegally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Jukes
    WTF?

It is a lie! He is not John McAfee.

I AM JOHN MCAFEE!

(Lets try the Spartacus defence now.)

1. LarsG
      Meh

No

I'm JOHN MCAFEE and they have just poisoned me.

It was in the coffee.

2. WatAWorld

He's not an alleged slave

McAfee is not an alleged slave on the run. He's an alleged murderer.

Let him have a fair trial and if he is guilty let him go to prison for a reasonable amount of time.

It would be wrong to give him a trial before a court rigged in his favor just because he is a US citizen and the crime he committed was in a foreign country.

1. kain preacher

Re: He's not an alleged slave

That guy must be bat shit insane to request asylum in the US. There is a little know law that says if an American kills another American in foreign county, they can be tried in the US.

1. InsaneGeek

Hmmm... prison in Belize or prison in US. US prisons may not be soothing architectural wonders like in Sweden but I'd venture a guess that a US prison is a bazillion times better than being the lone gringo in a 3rd world prison. If there was any chance of going to prison (even if the evidence looked worse in the US) I'd want the US legal system... maybe I've just watched Midnight Express one too many times.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@InsaneGeek

Which ever prison he'd go to the result would be the same, he would have to bend down and pick up the soap.

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: He's not an alleged murderer

> There is a little known law that says if an American kills another American in foreign county, they can be tried in the US.

You mean if he is guilty he doesn't have to be tried don't you?

How little is this law known and not by whom?

1. kain preacher

Bye John other wise he would not want to go to the US.

1. wowfood
              Joke

I am John Mcafee, owner to a murdered dog, neighour to a murdered neighbour, and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Why do you need asylum in the US if you're a USian?

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

that's the long term effect of dodgy profit moves and tax dodges, you become non domicile and lose your citizenship and become one in the lower tax country you hide behind

2. PatientOne

@WatAWorld

Sorry, since when is he an alleged murderer?

He's wanted for questioning, yes, but not as a suspect. I'd say 'read the article' but I'll make it easier for you:

"police have denied he is a suspect in the case."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@PatientOne,

Oh and the police never lie. Ever think that they will say he is not a suspect just to get him in for questioning and then arrest them? They seem to be putting a lot of effort behind finding someone that is NOT a suspect.

3. J. R. Hartley

I must be going soft but..

I'm starting to feel sorry for the man, he's clearly away in the head :/

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Depends on which reports you read, according to some McAfee himself is denying he had a heart attack (or indeed two).

1. JeevesMkII

Part of his cunning plan?

He probably faked a heart attack so he can slip out of the hospital and get back on the lam in a backless gown.

2. The First Dave
      Alien

Was I the only one to think that having two heart attacks must mean that he is a time lord?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Grease Monkey

RTFA.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Re: @ Grease Monkey

I posted *before* the article was updated you numpty. The original article did not include the update, but stated that McAfee had a heart attack.

3. Captain DaFt

Tomorrow on El Reg;

"McAfee claims Belize 'hit squad' behind apparent heart attacks"

(After he went on the run with his girlfriend, I was disappointed the Reg headline wasn't "Nut Bolts and Screws")

4. WatAWorld

In days he'll be back on US soil

The USA is big on prosecuting foreigners who allegedly commit offenses on their soil, but they are also pretty big on bringing their own alleged felons home unpunished when they commit offenses on foreign soil.

The heart attacks may or may not be real, but one thing is for sure: This is the excuse the State Department needs to successfully pressure its vassal state Guatemala into sending McAfee home to the good old US of A.

In any event, I hope McAfee turns out to be okay and gets a fair trial before an impartial court to evaluate his guilt or innocence.

1. kain preacher

Re: In days he'll be back on US soil

If he steps foot in US soil he can be tried and given the death penalty.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

I love your colonial coloquialisms.

> If he steps foot in US soil he can be tried and given the death penalty.

It translates like poetry:

If he sets foot on US soil he can be tried and given the death penalty.

Which translates:

If he sets foot on US soil he can be fried.

And then there is what you may have meant:

If he is deported to the USA he could face a trial and if the trial was held in ?insert suitable state here? if found guilty he might be sentenced to death. If the unlikely were to follow, he might be executed.

And the beauty of your prose is that it states a truism that everyone reading it already knows.

Just like poetry.

(And the stark, staring obvious.)

1. kain preacher

Re: I love your colonial coloquialisms.

The trail would be held in federal court.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: I love your colonial coloquialisms.

Hopefully the "trail" will not be of breadcrumbs; it didn't work for Hansel and Gretel.

2. asdf

>but they are also pretty big on bringing their own alleged felons home unpunished

As opposed to letting foreigner felons (mass murderers even) return home unpunished as long as they are returning to a country with big oil contracts?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds more like France. When will they turn Roman Polanski over to serve his time?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drugs

Just say no.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

sorry, got to say it again.....

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was pretty perky until he got arrested. *Two* heart attacks, you say?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HEY EVERYBODY!

LOOK AT ME! I'M ATTENTION WHORING MY ARSE OFF FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT, ANY TIME NOW I'LL EXECUTE MY LATEST CUNNING PLAN AND MAKE A BOLT FOR FREEDOM THE JUNGLE

BRB, FEEL AN EMBOLISM COMING ON ROFEF ;)

-MCCAFFY

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

John McAfee's lawyer says client 'never had a heart attack'

Actually, seems to be incorrect:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57557690-93/john-mcafees-lawyer-says-client-never-had-a-heart-attack/

10. southpacificpom
    Thumb Up

Give this bloody guy his own reality TV show!

It will be funny if nothing else...

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

He has already got his own reality and a computer.

If he can just lay off the coffee long enough to use it we will all be happy.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did you see the photo?

"John McAfee

(Credit: John McAfee)"

12. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Just asking a simple question

A doctor who examined him at the police-run hospital agreed, but said that McAfee "appeared to be suffering from high stress."

Is cold turkey highly stressful?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, yes, it is.

But I'm betting on a classic panic attack myself.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if he is looking forward to his 30-day free trial?

1. southpacificpom

Perhaps McAfee's health will deteriorate after a year and will die from a virus infection because he failed to tell anyone his healthcare subscription was up.

14. Cameron Colley

Wow, that is good coffee!

Though he is, perhaps, overdoing it a little.

15. Rusty 1
    Coat

Maybe it's just a virus.

16. Ben Rosenthal

MDPV is a helluva bathtime product.

17. lukewarmdog
    Windows

Certainly

Mcafee : man my neighbour is annoying, wish he was dead

Passing Columbian drug seller : anything for our best customer

1. Silverburn
      Happy

Re: Certainly

Mcafee : I sell my shit to anyone on the cheap, tie them in, then gouge them on the life long dependency.

Passing Columbian drug seller : wait, that's my line!

18. Silverburn
    Alien

Heart attacks

Not answered in the article: Whether both heart attacks were on the same heart, of whether he had a heart attack in each of his two hearts.

Given the bizzare behaviour, I'd go for the later, as only an alien with no concept of human behaviour would act this way.

19. James 47

Vice magazine's youtube cannel have the arrest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWqiVhRa0xI

He seems not quite right

20. ByeLaw101
    Happy

There is going to be a film about this guy...

1. Huw D
      Happy

Film?

Charlie Sheen to take the lead role then?

21. Unicornpiss
    Alert

Quirky

I see the company's founder is as quirky and unpredictable as the AV products that bear his name...

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We have some of that McAfee Enterprise crap at work

If he gets locked up I think HE'LL be needing some Intrusion Prevention too ;-)

23. Jock in a Frock
    Alert

Not surprised

I had a tour of the prison in Belize City in 1990, when I visited the British Army garrison there (it's a tour they gave to all squaddies posted out there). Absolutely shocking conditions. There was one inmate there who had both legs amputated. He told us that he had one leg when he was sent down, but lost the second leg after a knife fight in the prison.

Terrifying to think about a long stretch in there, no wonder McAfee had a heart attack.

This topic is closed for new posts.