back to article John McAfee on a plane to America

Antiviral fugitive John McAfee is on his way to the USA, after Guatemala booted him out. McAfee's blog features an audio interview he gave to Bloomberg in which he says he has been forced to apologise to the President of Guatemala, as his arrival in the nation coincided with negotiations of a treaty with Belize, the nation he …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe
    WTF?

Apologize to the President?

Good Lord, this guy is a certifiable lunatic (whose antics are great to watch for sure) but why would the President of a sovereign nation demand his apology? That's just weird that any national leader would be interested enough to even care if Admiral General Crazy McAfee apologized.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apologize to the President?

Perhaps the apology was written in the memo field.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

The Guatemalan President wanted an apology because McAfee the software ID'd the only working copy of the treaty with Belize as a malware and deleted it, then the President was only told that "it's McAfee's fault!" that the treaty was wrecked.

Either that, or Guatamala's McAfee subscripton autorenewed and the country just received it's credit card statement.

2. LarsG
      Meh

BONKERS

"Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow had a more prosaic explanation: "I don't want to be unkind to the gentleman, but I believe he is extremely paranoid, even bonkers."

It's not often you get a Prime Minister with such insight.

1. Steven Raith
        Unhappy

Re: BONKERS

Sadly Lars, I think he might not be far wrong - the last couple of weeks sound like one hell of a manic episode (in a psychological sense). Possibly a closet bipolar having a bit of a breakdown? Not exactly unknown in the tech world...

Steven R

3. Steve the Cynic

Why apologise? Let's see: Belize[1] and Guatemala are in the middle of delicate treaty negotiations, and some foreign (to both countries) nutjob absconds from B to G, causing a diplomatic brouhaha of uncertain dimensions. That's why.

[1] I keep wanting to spell this word "British Honduras".

4. Psyx
      Pint

"but why would the President of a sovereign nation demand his apology? "

Because McAfee is a deranged egotistical loon who makes things up to make himself sound cool?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

No no, the apology is for the McAfee antivirus bloatware he installed on the presidents laptop before he legged it ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's still something missing.

Something to round out the story. Perhaps one or more of the following:

- CIA involvement

- Julian Assange

- alien abduction

- zombies

That should do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: There's still something missing.

Maybe he's flying Air America instead of American Airlines, that'll cover the CIA angle.....

And you left out LSD mind control experimentation...

Welcome home, John McAfee!!! I anxiously await turning on the news to find out you were arrested for "au naturel" freeclimbing the Empire State Building, wrestling with Secret Service agents while crashing a White House state dinner, being photographed traveling in and out of the Fort Meade NSA headquarters in a tinted-window SUV, getting involved in some kind of public altercation either with or on the side of Lindsay Lohan or getting into a good, old-fashioned Silicon Valley pressfest over Intel's management of your epynomously named former company!!

The possibilities are endless!

2. Ole Juul

- more salt

1. S4qFBxkFFg

...of the bath variety?

3. Tom 38

If he's flying American Airlines, then the zombie aspect is covered, they are just fetching him his in flight meal.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The brutes have even made him fly American."

Summary execution without trial.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
      Black Helicopters

Julian Assange has been abducted by alien zombies working for the CIA?

6. Tom 13
      Black Helicopters

@mutatedwombat: What?

Julian Assange is an alien zombie sent to infiltrate the CIA?

Okay, I can buy the alien zombie bit, but WHY would they want to infiltrate the CIA?

And does that make McAfee the 'good' alien who has been sent to stop the nefarious plot?

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

But, but ...

He was already in America ....

/pedant

4. JeffyPooh
    Pint

The most important question?

Where's that sweet-young-thing 'Sam' (a girl), his 20-year-old squeeze?

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

1. HAL4000

Re: The most important question?

Good point. Poor wee thing must need comforting >:)

5. NomNomNom

john mcafee, road warrior

staring mel gibson as john mcafee

the screenplay is being written as we speak

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder if the Americans will put as much effort

into returning him to Belize as they did trying to get McKinnon, O'Dwyer etc. to the USA?

1. kain preacher

Re: Wonder if the Americans will put as much effort

But he can be tried in the US.

7. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

The brutes have even made him fly American.

Hahaha. I wish I could upvote the article :)

1. Isendel Steel
      Thumb Up

You Can

just click "like" (which is odd given the usual articles covering facebook and the general antipathy towards that site around here)

8. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Extradition?

Because McAfee has not been charged (or convicted) of the crime, the extradition treaty between the US and Guatemala does not cover the circumstances as they have been stated. The Guatemalan authorities have consistently claimed that McAfee is a person of interest, at least in the news sources I have followed. So they would not be able to get him by that route unless they formally charged him. I am curious as to whether they will change their stance on this or attempt to arrange an interview with McAfee some place in the US.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

COD

Send him COD to Belize. He is more than just a person on interest; much more. They have spent a lot of resources just to "talk" to him.

This topic is closed for new posts.