back to article Sinofsky's new blogski: Windows 8 king reborn as management guru

What next for the technology executive who saddled his previous employer with a controversial flagship operating system, polarised management and swiftly left under a cloud? Telling others how to build successful products, of course. Former Windows chief Steve Sinofsky has launched himself as a product development expert with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"without adequate explanation"

Who decides what's adequate, Gavin? You?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "without adequate explanation"

Well, Gavin and the rest of the tech media world in general. I don't remember reading anywhere that much of an explanation was given.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Man resigns from job. Presumably complies with notice period clauses and NDAs.

How much notice is "adequate" to anyone except that man's employer? If you quit tomorrow, AC, will your explanation be required?

That's bogus. You don't have to tell anyone why you quit. The only person you're required to tell that you quit at all is your employer.

1. JPD

If you don't provide proper information about your personal reasons for resignation, you may end up in the Village.

- the new number two,,,,

2. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

I wonder if he was behind this:

Microsoft says somebody stole its Apple iPads

"Microsoft's campus in Mountain View is presumably loaded with Microsoft's latest and greatest products, but a thief decided to steal five Apple iPads from the company's offices instead"

One can imagine the burglar skillfully swerving the mountains of unsold surface tablets, WP8 handsets and heaps of returned Windows 8 DVD's looking for decent kit, and finding all the Android gear was at home, since that's what the staff use personally, was then forced to take just what they could resell.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Up a creek "without adequate explanation" ..

Regardless as to the semiotic etiology of "without adequate explanation", does anyone have any detailed facts as to the real reasons Sinofsky resigned so suddenly?

2. Ramazan
    Pint

Re: Telling others how to build successful products, of course

Thanks, el Reg, that's made my [Fri]day!

“Real artists ship” - in fact, real artists shit regularly, but ship rather occasionally.

3. Chris Miller

"ad hoc criticisms"

What does that mean? "Formed, arranged, or done for a particular purpose", if a criticism isn't ad hoc, what use is it? Perhaps he meant ad hominem,

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't hate me

Cliche time? . . . those who can't teach.

5. K
    WTF?

whose success is far from guaranteed...

Sure it is...

guaranteed to FAIL!

Sinofsky preaching success, it akin to Bin Laden preaching pacifism.

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Learning by Shipping

You don't learn by shipping, unless you don't yet know what failure means.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Learning by Shipping

Quite.

"Learning from Experience" sounds like something a professional might do.

"Learning by Shipping" just sounds like "Aww, let's just dump the current shit on some end-users and let them tell us what's broken.".

7. Arctic fox
    Trollface

"Sinofsky preaching success, it akin to Bin Laden preaching pacifism."

In addition of course to the implicit comparison of Redmond with Al-Qaeda. Ever thought of improving your postings by toning down the hyperbole? Unless of course you actually do believe that Redmond's anti-trust violations can be compared to 9/11?

1. ShadowedOne
      WTF?

Re: "Sinofsky preaching success, it akin to Bin Laden preaching pacifism."

What does 9/11 have to do with it? Bin Laden promoted hate and aggression, it was a perfectly valid juxtaposition.

1. dogged
        Facepalm

Microsoft promote their profit margin, just as Google and Apple do (albeit a bit less ferociously and with less litigation). Is that terrorism, ShadowedOne? If so, is Larry Page a terrorist too?

1. ShadowedOne
          FAIL

Re: "Sinofsky preaching success, it akin to Bin Laden preaching pacifism." @dogged

"Microsoft promote their profit margin, just as Google and Apple do (albeit a bit less ferociously and with less litigation). Is that terrorism, ShadowedOne? If so, is Larry Page a terrorist too?"

What in hell have you been smoking, more to the point, do you plan on sharing it with the rest of us?

In case you are posing an actual question. Has Microsoft (or, for that matter, Google or Apple) engaged in a campaign to terrorize a civilian population, no.

2. K

dogged, your missunderstanding ShadowedOne.

Bin Laden is not a Pacfist

Sinofsky is not Successful

The fact that neither is what was suggested - That is the comparison... this has FA to do with terrorism, or even inferring that anybody is associated with terrorism.

2. Arctic fox
        Headmaster

Re: "Bin Laden promoted hate and aggression, it was a perfectly valid juxtapostition"

Only if we forget the being guilty of mass murder bit.

8. James 100
    Joke

Wrong destination...

I thought he'd be a perfect fit for running Bernard Matthews... except their turkeys sell better.

It's an odd departure in itself, though departing just after Win8's launch rather than before does make sense. Management guru, though? Certainly with hindsight he'd have been better off going out just after Windows *7* launched, not 8.

On the other hand ... Kevin Mitnick's security consultancy is so well known because he eventually screwed up and got caught, not because he was infallible and got away with it all...

9. asdf
    Headmaster

>"his management philosophy led to a reorganisation of Microsoft’s product structure during with a cast of middle-ranking execs were sidelined or forced out."

Wow that sentence is barely acceptable in the forums never mind in a professional (don't laugh) news article. I have terrible grammar and spelling myself so if I notice then somebody really screwed the pooch.

10. Denarius
    Trollface

HP must be due for a new CEO by now

title says it all

1. southpacificpom

Re: HP must be due for a new CEO by now

I heard the've been in negotiations with SpongeBob so I doubt Sinofsky's got chance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like