back to article PC sales in the toilet? Excuse Lenovo while it gut laughs at you

Chinese PC sales juggernaut Lenovo rolled into town with another set of double-digit growth numbers for its fiscal Q3 as rivals continue to scratch around for what they can get. The firm hasn't yet toppled HP from the top of the global PC market but sales were up 12 per cent to $9.4bn and profit rose 34 per cent to $205m for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

PC Sales in the toilet

I started thinking about a wall mounted dispensing machine, big enough to carry quite a few laptops. Then I realised that I'd misunderstood and was getting confused (again).

1. guybles
      Coat

Re: PC Sales in the toilet

A wall-mounted vending machine, located in a public toilet, would certainly explain why the iPad appears to sell so many...

1. hplasm
        Devil

Re: PC Sales in the toilet

Wrong, er, Pad...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good bits about lenovo.

Well made. Good spec for good price.

Cash back deals

Good expansion

Windows 8 / 7 downgrade / upgrade

Bad bits

Support.....

Using differeing part numbers depending on what system you are in

Lenovo docking station compatibility information.......

Generalised specification where everything is listed as an option and nothing is confirmed as either in a specific system or not.

3. Jeff 11
    Meh

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity

It's a 34% rise, but a 34% rise on something that was giving them ~1.4% profit (and now gives them ~2%) of profit on turnover. This is still pretty insignificant given that Lenovo is geared towards the business market, which should make more than the consumer market. If Lenovo can continue this growth trend for the next ten years, then they can indeed flip the bird to the rest of the market, otherwise they don't have that much to be proud of.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

May be a short lived belly laugh

It would seem that the UK, US and Asian economies are teetering on the edge of a deeper economic recession. Lenovo might have captured some contracts that are helping them currently, but like Microsucks and InHell, Lenovo is not immune to the worlwide economic meltdown.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Sales down? I'm sure it has nothing to with price and quality. Nope. Not a thing.

6. A Butler

Initial Tablet fizz fading....PC still No 1 for productive work

From what I am seeing the 2012 Christmas tablet buzz has faded. People who bought tablets over christmas now see their limitations, they like the convenience of them, however they realize their only a secondary device and not capable of long duration serious work.

The PC / Laptop (be that Windows, Mac or Linux OS) is still the defacto primary productive choice for 99% of individuals.

Windows 8 is actually fine once you learn a few shortcut keys.

The ultrabook prices are finally starting to drop, Dell Inspiron 15z is an example of a quality device well priced.

When touch becomes the norm on mainstream laptops I expect a jump in demand.

Still plenty of life in the PC / Laptop market once the product innovates like Windows 8.

7. The Godfather
    Meh

It's sensibly servicing markets where PC's still show growth and is skillfully nicking business where it isn't, ergo from Dell, HP and others. Nothing wrong in this tack but don't for one minute think Lenovo will stick to this tram-line. They're big enough and astute enough to go for where the growth now is. when they have exhausted current growth potential.

8. John Tserkezis

Not surprised "someone" is trying really hard to push tablets, and away from PCs.

People aren't upgrading their PC software because it worked last year and works today. Thus no new money.

People don't have tablets, and are being told they MUST have one - and the new software too. - New money.

Simples.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like