back to article Wages frozen, jobs at risk. Now Capita ITS shifts pay reviews to 1 April

Workers at Capita IT Services (CITS) have been warned their annual reviews could be moved to the same date... April Fool's Day. After an austerity-focussed 2012, during which salaries were frozen, bonuses shelved and 1,000 staff put at risk of redundancy, the upcoming pay review for employees is no laughing matter for many. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how cruel

Mgmt: "And in review of your last year, we've come to the decision that... erm... oh look, you're getting a massive pay rise AND a bonus!"

Shocked employee: "Really?"

Mgmt: "No, April Fools!!! ahahahahahahahahaha!"

1. LarsG

Re: how cruel

I wouldn't be surprised if after April everything is off shored.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we looking at the next 2e2

And if so, who else (Daisy ?) as I suspect there's a few more out there who have over-stretched.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would the last one to leave the building

please turn off the sprinkler system...

4. wikkity

Not unusual

I've worked at two companies that have done this while I've been there, moving everyone to the same date makes sense and has less overhead than doing the process for various people at random times. I found reviews/awards based on when you joined more personal and a better %

increase,

However on the back of this there is always a 'normalisation' of pay awards and you can guess which way they get normalised. The workforce need to turn this to their advantage, this also makes collective bargaining easier, join a union and get your colleagues to join, especially if rumours of redundancy are flying around.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I spent a lot of time trying to unionise various capita sites, all to little effect. The management indoctrination was immense, and the individual pay reviews were one of the main reasons given by employees for not wanting to join a union. Perhaps now opinions will change, but I suspect it'll be too late for many. Offshoring was always Capita's end goal, and for the companies they outsource for it provides a nice little 'once removed' defence to avoid them looking too bad in the press.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Is this the same Capita

that employs the sub human scum that are "TV License enforcement officers"?.

God i so hope so....

1. Corinne

Re: Is this the same Capita

Yes and no. The various divisions of Capita are very insular and act almost like independant bodies, it's a real "silo" culture there. This is talking about Capita ITS specifically, the guys who write & support the software that's used by the various outsourcing divisions rather than those divisions themselves, so devs, sysadmins, project managers etc rather than minimum wage drones in call centres.

2. Meow

You mean the guys that are just trying to make a living like you and I?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So's the taxman but i'd shoot that fucking lot myself!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consulted?

I dont remember that - its hard enough getting an email off my boss

8. Meow

Balanced view

I attended a recent roadshow by the senior management team at ITS and have to say that the move to a single date for pay awards was welcomed by the vast majority, especially seeing as it would appear (I assume) that there is actually a budget available for pay awards this year, something which has been missing for the last few years (like 90% of IT outsourcers except 2E2).

For those who miss out on a pay award or get upset because it gets 'normalised' the wrong way, there is a flourishing jobs market out there if you have confidence in your own abilty and think you deserve more, or maybe you could sit tight and moan about not getting a pay award next year as well. And the year after. And so on. And so on........

This topic is closed for new posts.