back to article McDonalds-card-toting Softcat boss: I couldn't tell you how a computer works

The much-lauded CEO of software reseller Softcat has carved out a high-flying career selling tech - but paradoxically Martin Hellawell can't explain how a computer computes nor the inner workings of a mainframe. Still wet behind the ears and straight out of uni in 1988, Hellawell made an inauspicious entry into the world of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B
    Thumb Up

Puff Puff Puff

The Reg welcomes another Gold Service member.

2. Anonymous Coward 101

"It is pressure, real pressure - 80 cold calls a day,"

Man, the world of sales is thrilling stuff.

"Wanted: Energetic self starter to sell stuff you don't understand. Must be able to tolerate being to be told to fuck off 85 times per day."

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Re: "It is pressure, real pressure - 80 cold calls a day,"

Those are the appointment makers. The sales types actually go out and visit the suckers prospects, have expensive lunches and organize the technical briefings at the local lap dancing club (at least the ones at Adobe did).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" I COULDN'T TELL YOU HOW A COMPUTER WORKS"

The Rory Cellan-Jones approach, sign him up Beeb!

4. Don Jefe
    Happy

Sales

I've always thought the disconnect between IT and sales is funny and bad for business. Even at the PC manufacturing level both groups kind of regard each other with disdain. Which is funny because they depend on each other. Without a good sales team the best product in the world is world exactly zero and the techs don't get paid and without a product sales has nothing to sell. Neither group can exist without the other. The animosity between groups was part of the reason I started my own company.

5. Captain TickTock
    Headmaster

Regrets, I've had a few...

"I'm not a real techie which is one of my regrets in life because technology is fascinating."

You can't really regret what you are, only what you chose to do.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What the hell is a McDonald's card? Some sort of fast-food credit service?

This topic is closed for new posts.