back to article WD puts twin-platter 640GB HDD into mass-production

Western Digital has begun churning out its dual-platter 640GB 3.5in Caviar SE16 hard drive in volume, the hard drive manufacturer said today, though buyers will be keener to hear when it'll ship drives with four or more platters. The desktop-oriented SE16 line currently runs to 750GB, the top-of-the-line drive being a model …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hywel Thomas
    Coat

640GB ?

640GB is probably more storage than anyone will ever need.

2. Lickass McClippers
    Boffin

RE 640GB?

I'm grazing the top end of 640GB already. That's shouldn't be taken as some sort of boast, because you could naturally argume that I've too much shite on my PC..!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

to Hywel, sorry I have to disagree there!

As a keen photographer who shoots raw files, plays back music, records TV using Vista Media Center, and streams it all to a Vista media center extender in the living room (Linksys DMA 2100), my primary hard disk fills 500GB no problem at all.

To back up the whole primary disk using Norton Ghost (or similar) you need ANOTHER 500GB, then ideally some more space (either disks or another HDD) for a 'files and folders' type backup.

If you want to stream HD movies from your PC, then you'll need even more storage space! Not to mention, the extra 10-20GB of photos every year....

etc. etc...

4. David Gosnell

Re: 640GB

Methinks the follow-up posters have missed the cultural reference here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Top marks to Hywel Thomas...

... for his excellent wit (obviously, missed by the two subsequent posters...), but please read this before the thread is bombarded with more responses:

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1997/01/1484

Mahatma Cotejeeves

6. Silicon Sorcerer

640GB - That's it?

1TB's have been out for a year!

Hitachi's deskstar it $280 and the ultrastar is $330.

WD still using a chisel and stone?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

640Gb?

When can I get 640Tb?

PS - We all know Big Bill didn't say that about 640Kb, but WHO WAS responsible for that architectural disaster? It has to be either IBM or Intel.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like