back to article Dell flees sinking US economy on quick boat to China

Dell will significantly raise its stakes in the booming economies of China and India as the company braces for lackluster growth in the US. The world's number two PC vendor said it's developing new product models made specifically with Asian buyers in mind, and will increase its presence in the region. "This year, we plan to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just be patient

It's only a matter of time before China starts outsourcing to the west.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Thank you Dell

Thank you for selling out America and Europe to appease China. Thank you for years of shitty consumer grade technical support from people who can barely speak any tongue English, French, German or Italian. Had it not been for AOL, you would have assumed first place for the absolute worst technical support, world wide.

Personally, I've owned two dell machines, both of which I got for free and in retrospect I am so f-ing glad I didn't actually have to pay for them. Furthermore, I wouldn't walk across the street if Michael Dell was giving them away.

It would have been a nice gesture on your part, if you would have donated money to the communities you occupied in America and Europe, as a thank you and parting gift for all the tax abatements you received, courtesy of tax payers.

3. Dave Harris

Hold your horses, AC

I didn't see any mention of pulling out of NA/Europe there. I can see that they want to expand in China, and what manufacturer wouldn't, but shutting existing plants?

At the moment, a huge amount of Dell's AP operation is based in Penang, Malaysia, so I can understand that with a growth target of 50% for China, it makes sense to procure and assemble for the Chinese market in China itself.

4. trackSuit
    Thumb Up

Seedlings to be Nurtured

"The company said it will also donate $210,000 to build six education centers in China to teach computer proficiency to children of migrant workers."

QuITE possibly a smoke screen to deflect critisism, but also:

If the morgue sounded like good value for money at 3/4M GBP [caring for 102 dead people].....

Does not the Wise Investment of Future Growth -Education Education Education, sound like Fantastic value, by comparison? Tending to the needs of tomorrow, today. A fecund blessing, [Robert Post's child]?

Let us hope that they hold good on their promise, thus to send a message of goodwill / a shining example of Best Practice. Soon 42 be Young Tier-One suppliers of Intelligence and Innovation, Rather than Old-Tires to kick and dirty pigeons to shoo away!

5. trackSuit
    Thumb Up

Neu Seedlings 2B Nurtured

"The company said it will also donate $210,000 to build six education centers in China to teach computer proficiency to children of migrant workers."

QuITE possibly a smoke screen to deflect critisism, but also:

If the morgue sounded like good value for money at 3/4M GBP [caring for 102 dead people].....

Does not the Wise Investment of Future Growth -Education Education Education, sound like Fantastic value, by comparison? Tending to the needs of tomorrow, today. A fecund blessing, [Robert Post's child]?

Let us hope that they hold good on their promise, thus to send a message of goodwill / a shining example of Best Practice. Soon 42 be Young Tier-One suppliers of Intelligence and Innovation, Rather than Old-Tires to kick and dirty pigeons to shoo away!

6. Daniel Silver badge

Re: Thank you Dell

Amen brother.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Further investigation

Wonderful marketing strategy - going where the market is. Dell has never been slow to respond to the global market and these moves will keep it in the forefront of computer sales.

However, something bears further investigation. Dell's often-announced workforce reduction of "10%" of their workforce is not, as far as I can see, being applied uniformly around the globe. Check out how many US and European employees are getting the bullet - as opposed to employees in cheaper labor markets. Offshoring by stealth?

8. Chad
    Thumb Down

Targetting the Chinese Market

Do Dells now come with an integrated free speech infringer?

9. Olof P

@ Further investigation

I'm not surprised, if they're expanding somewhere it doesn't make sense to kick people there. If they hire fewer people, it might have the same effect on sales/employee or some similar number.

10. Eduard Coli
    Gates Horns

Hold your @#$%

These days when a company announces expansion in China or India or Vietnam they also mean layoffs elsewhere. Some bint is going to get a fat bonus over the so called cost savings of moving from "expensive" Western labor to "cheap" eastern.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Is the title even accurate?

I read the title and assumed that Dell were really fleeing the US. What the hell are el reg playing at when they don't follow up with a story to match? I agree with Dave Harris as this incensed me with rage until I read the full story.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you Dell

I don't know why "Anonymous Coward" has such a problem.

I have been in the computer industry since 1967 and supporting PC users since 1983.

I have suffered the crap produced by the likes of Acer, Siemens and IBM for years. When anyone askes what should they buy, I say spend as much as you can on the hardware (especially RAM), but buy anything you like AS LONG AS IT'S A DELL.

13. Bruce Sinton
    Happy

Ding Dong Dell

Dear Anonymous Coward.(The one saying Thank you Dell)

You say " buy anything you like AS LONG AS IT'S A DELL ".

You stopped taking the Pills,haven't you ! Get back to them immediately , before

you become totally unhinged.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like