back to article AXE-WAVING BIKER GANG SMASHES into swanky Apple UK store

Cops have arrested two men following a failed “smash and grab” robbery at Apple’s flagship store on Regent Street, London. Detectives want to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the incident, which took place at 1am on Tuesday morning. Officers told The Register that up to eight people may have been involved in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the ones doing jewelry stores in 2010

Are out now after serving 3 of their 10 year sentences

dont you love UK justice

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Martin
        FAIL

Re: So the ones doing jewelry stores in 2010

You're in the wrong place. This is The Register forum, not the Daily Mail comments page.

(Though to be fair, I get the impression that a lot of the commenters here presumably read and believe said rag..."

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

I'll be honest, I have read said rag, but I do not read (or even like) said rag.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"I'll be honest too - I like all the pictures of ladies in bikinis that they put on their website."

Err, aren't most of them under-age?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Would never have happened at the Microsoft store......

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one who read 'Plod' as 'iPlod'?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

I warn you, if you try to fondle your iPlod touch, you could get into serious trouble!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>I warn you, if you try to fondle your iPlod touch, you could get into serious trouble!

But only when doing so in a public covenience.

If you want to get into real serious trouble you need to fondle an iPlodess.

1. DanceMan

Oh, Cnanda!

Here in Canada, only the plod are allowed to fondle the plodess. Allowed as in lack of consequences.

2. Ralph B

You can also expect problems if you attempt pairing with the Boys in Bluetooth.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Ben Holmes
        Happy

@Symon

'Rozzers' is also an acceptable synonym.

1. hplasm
          Happy

Re: @Symon

Run. It's Dibble!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one..

..that read "swanky" as "wanky"?

3. Shades

Trying...

...to get in Apple's good books El Reg? Don't particularly see you doing this for any other firm, especially not with the appeal at the bottom. Whats up, do you want invites to the iOS7 launch or something?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trying...

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the dramatic difference in the number of smash and grabs on Apple stores, compared to the number of smash and grabs on..... Android stores, Microsoft stores, Samsung stores, HTC stores........

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
        Facepalm

Funny, I don't remember ever seeing ay of the above named stores on my local high street.

Whodathunkit - ther are more smash-and-grabs on something that exists than something that doesn't.

2. Bornhuetter
      Facepalm

"Pair cuffed after helicopter chase sparked by Cupertino idiot-tax-avoiding raid" - The Article

Yup, El Reg is really sucking up to Apple this time.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Other companies in the tech world don't have such a large and wide presence on the high street.

4. sugerbear

iPolice

Good job they are contributing so much of that lovely corporate tax that goes towards paying for said police force..

5. MrDamage Silver badge

Axe wielding wimps

We're obviously no match for unarmed guards clad in their fruity logo'd Tactlenecks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U47Tdf6QPis

6. Senior Ugli

couple of years late

These guys are a couple of years late? i mean I remember there being a batch of apple store robberies a couple years ago, then most would be robbers found out that all device serials are traceable and get blocked

or are these guys just super thick? although as mentioned they will basically get a clip round the ear from the UK courts and that will probably encourage them to do something similar again.

1. dogged

Re: couple of years late

Found in Islington, too. What a shocker.

It's grim up North London.

1. qwertyuiop

According to one report I read (BBC I think) they were caught in Tufnell Park. Now while that *IS* technically in Islington (although only just, it's on the border with Camden) upmarket, trendy Islington it is not. Alongside all the rich trendies some parts of Islington are extremely run-down and deprived.

1. Steven Raith

One of the best things about Islington are it's socioeconomic dynamics.

Take a couple of wrongs turns after exiting one of the trendy bars on a friendly road, and you end up somewhere like the wrong end of North Road. Where I once watched some kids on a scooter smash the back window of an Audi A3 and whup the laptop in there while the owner was in the council office.

And then, as I walked up the road around about the parks/greenspace office, they tried to sell said laptop to me. I politely declined, they politely made their exit.

Even stranger is that 300yds down the road towards the recycling centre is a pretty well known garage that preps full on racespec porsche 911s for privateers IIRC.

Other end of that road is....shall we say, somewhat grittier. My memory might be foggy, but if you know the area, you probably know what I'm talking about.

Funny old place, Islington - but really interesting on multiple levels once you get off Upper street and start floating around the rest of it.

Steven R

1. John H Woods Silver badge

You should have bought it and given it back to the owner!

1. Darren Barratt
              FAIL

Yes, and given him £250 to repair his back windscreen while you're at it.

1. Steven Raith
                FAIL

It's his own lookout for leaving his laptop in full view in North London with nothing more than a plate of glass between it and miscreants!

Steven R

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointed

From the headline I was expecting some Playmobil fun. :-(

8. Hodders
    Facepalm

Correction

Can I just point out that people who ride scooters are not "Bikers"

Bikers ride motorcycles - always have - always will

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Correction

Hear hear!!

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Alert

Exactly my point

As someone old enough to remember the 'Mods' vs 'Rockers' bank holiday events in the 1960's there is no way any self respecting Biker would be seen dead on a scooter.

Mind you the definition of a scooter these days is a far cry from that of the Li-150's that most of the Mods I knew rode.

As a biker I also resent the implication that Bikers are somehow criminals (as portraied by what supposedly passes for the Press these days). We are not.

Now I'm going for a run on my Tiger-1050.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Exactly my point

Blimey - you'll be telling us that lorry drivers don't murder prostitutes next.

2. lawndart

Some thirty years ago I was on my lunch break at the same time as the daft biddy from the department and the manageress. The DB was raving on about how all bikers were murdering, thieving scum and should be locked up or worse and the manageress spent the lunchbreak defending her son, who was a keen biker. Eventually, after about twenty minutes of spittle flying invective washing about my ears I put down my book and went to the cloakroom. I came back with my crash helmet on and carried on reading. Neither of them noticed.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Steve Davies: Some bikers are criminals, some aren't. However a fair proportion of the bikers I know are really rather over-sensitive about being labelled criminal, and then go on to go home at 100+MPH weaving - sorry, filtering - all the way down the motorway.

It doesn't help their cause.

That said, as a cyclist I sympathise to a certain extent because we don't all shoot red lights, jump on and off pavements, etc. etc. a proportion of a group can badly tar the rest.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"That said, as a cyclist I sympathise to a certain extent because we don't all shoot red lights, jump on and off pavements, etc. etc. a proportion of a group can badly tar the rest."

You're not from Cambridge then. Oh, there they don't jump on and off pavements either. They'd rather block the road instead of using the cycle path because using the cycle path means they'd have to slow down on intersections.

1. Allan George Dyer
            Stop

So Cambridge cycle paths are designed for toddler/recreation use and poorly designed for people who appreciate bicycles as a fast, environmentally-friendly means of transport. Would you design a motorway with that type of intersection?

2. Francis Urquhart

Indeed, it's the 90% of cyclists who behave that way that gives the other 10% a bad name.

No avatar, because, like all pedestrians, I am invisible to cyclists!

4. tony2heads
        Trollface

If you want to take your Tiger on the road..

Try a Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf. B

Nobody is going to cut you up! Also you can take the short cuts through walls. houses, shops etc.

Go for the one with the Maybach engine and Porsche turrret

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: If you want to take your Tiger on the road..

Speaking of the Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf. B, have you read "Peter Rabbit Tank Killer"? http://www.kretsen.nu/bytebattler/documents/Peter%20Rabbit%20Tank%20Killer.pdf (PDF, 5 pages)

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: If you want to take your Tiger on the road..

Thank you! That has to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

5. James Micallef Silver badge
        Thumb Up

As a biker myself I wholeheartedly agree that scooter-riders <> bikers.

Then again as Mr Davies points out, the distinctions are getting blurred. Strictly speaking the only technical difference between the two is a manual* gearbox vs continuously variable gearbox on scooters. AFAIK one of the Italian brands (Gilera?) produce a machine that is technically a scooter but looks indistinguishable from a small sports bike (125 or 250)

I've actually often wondered if a full-fat touring bike could benefit from a CV gearbox on? Or something like an automatic gearbox with sequential shifting for sports bikes? All the power and acceleration (and engine noise) of a real bike without needing to fiddle with gears.

* or should that be pedal?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Those old Vespas and Lambrettas which mods used to tool around on had 5 speed manual boxes, as do many newer machines - and quite a few larger motorcycles these days have CV boxes.

Technically, what people usually call scooters are a class comprised of "stepthrough"and "underbone" chassis motorcycles. They don't have any legal distinction as far as road use goes and most of the rhetoric is along the lines which used to flow between owners of european cars and those of japanese cars. (or even Ford vs GM owners)

Even Triumph made a few lines of scooters, they were well accepted in the Mod community and are classed as highly desirable rarities these days. The real derision from "bikers" comes about because original scooter lines had pooer weight distribution and that made them unsuitable for going "all out" on - but that's not what they were built for, so who cares? (The rest of it was because mods and rockers were bothi working class groups who listened to different kinds of music and liked to fight)

1. Chris G

Re: Exactly my point @Alan Brown

Triumph certainly did make a couple of scooter models (Tina and Tigress I think) but I clearly remember they were abhorred by the mods of South London where I lived and they were viewed with embarrassment by most of the Grebos (Rockers) that I used to kick around with.

Having worked on both bikes and scooters in those days I don.t remember any 5 speed boxes on Vespas or Lambrettas at that time and a CV twist and go was not something I had ever heard of at that time, I am also sure no self respecting mod would have driven a twist and go for fear of being designated 'a complete tosser' something he would also have suffered at minimum if he had driven a Triumph scooter, really only Vespas and Lambrettas were acceptable as far as I know and the riders of each were extremely partisan as to which was better.

Bikers (like me) generally like large noisy, fast machines and view scooters as something to whizz around town on, in a skirt. Not that there is anything wrong with wearing a skirt! I know some very nice bikers who on occasion wear skirts but they are all ladies.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ James Micallef

> AFAIK one of the Italian brands (Gilera?) produce a machine that is technically a scooter but looks indistinguishable from a small sports bike (125 or 250)

It was Aprilia (http://preview.tinyurl.com/lt42k3h)

> I've actually often wondered if a full-fat touring bike could benefit from a CV gearbox on? Or something like an automatic gearbox with sequential shifting for sports bikes?

Honda offer both:

- The DN01 (http://preview.tinyurl.com/m84hc9o) uses the continuous transmission used on their quad bikes. Didn't sell as way too expensive, oddly styled and under-powered. (But if they put that transmission onto a version of their Pan European tourer, I would probably buy one.)

- The VFR1200F DCT (http://preview.tinyurl.com/l9r66rx) has dual-clutch transmission (with some clever tricks too: unlike the car versions of DCT, the motorbike version saves weight by having smaller clutches and using both simultaneously when pulling away in first. As soon as one starts to slip significantly it is disengaged, but by then you are rolling, and one clutch on its own is enough thereafter.)

1. James Micallef Silver badge
            Thumb Up

@AC - Thanks, most illuminating!

3. Pookietoo

Re: continuously variable gearbox on scooters

Many scooters have CVT gears, but it's not a defining feature - "proper" motorcycles have been manufactured with a variety of automatic transmissions including CVT.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Not that they are the final arbiter of anything really but the US DOT differentiates between scooters and motorcycles based on their controls, i.e. hand & foot brake = motorcycle, both hand controlled brakes = scooter.

The lines are very very thin these days, honda's nc 700 series have DCT (not cvt) as does their larger 1300 (fj?), you can also buy 600+ cc 'maxiscooters' with rumours of liter scoots on the way. You can also get maxiscoots with quasi semi automatic gearboxes but these are basically fancy cvt's which lock the ratio.

Does riding a scooter make you not a 'biker'. I'm so past caring, apparently it does matter to some folks. I have a 'maxiscoot' and a ds and have ridden a motley assembly of various bikes over the years. I got the scoot because it was 45% off list with no out the door costs as the garage was closing. Went to buy a cbr and it had sold already, the guy offered a test on the scoot and told me to thrash it. Hard to argue when it will get either wheel in the air and loves humped back bridges and will lean like crazy. It's no superbike but it is fully capable of inducing ear to ear grins which is all that matters. I always used to laugh at the whole better to ride a slow bike fast mantra, having experienced 'third world roads' and the most random of road hazards (hey last night we had a storm and nature created an impromptu river on this blind bend leaving all sorts of crap on the surface, or palm branches randomly in the road, or dead deer and worst of all those perverts in lycra who insist on running in the road) I am quite happy keeping it under 120mph, plus I don't miss the fuel consumption at 170+.

I guess island life made me soft lol, most of the time there isn't any friction between anyone on two wheels no matter what the type of vehicle (especially as many folks have more than one type), you are just all happy no one got killed by a drunk in a truck. I am constantly amazed how the guys with ape hangers manage to stay alive on some of our twistier fast road.

1. Rampant Spaniel

just checked, it's the honda vfr1200 with dct :)

3. Andrew Newstead

Glad someone got in with this observation.

4. Huw D
      Pint

Correction Re: Correction

All bikers ride motorcycles. However, not everyone who rides a motorcycle is a biker either.

Now enough of this, I'm off to the Farmyard Party.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Correction Correction Re: Huw D

All bikers ride motorcycles.

In my experience bikers ride in the back of transits and only put their helmets on when they arrive in the pub car park.

Okay, not all bikers, and I don't begrudge them doing that. It is however quite amusing to see and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen it.

1. Huw D
          Devil

Re: Correction Correction Huw D

No,

Bikers live and breathe bikes.

Motorcyclists have bikes, but aren't necessarily bikers.

Blokes who turn up in cars and then put their full leathers/helmets on are collectively known as tossers.

5. Velv
      Headmaster

Pedantry alert.

If it's got two wheels and an motor, it's a motorcycle. That includes mopeds, scooters, and motorised bicycles.

If you're going to associate the term "biker" with "motorcycle" then all riders of motorcycles are bikers.

But I absolutely understand your original sentiment! :)

1. Hodders

Nope.

Just because it has two wheels and a motor, it doesn't qualify as a motorcycle - otherwise cement mixers would qualify. At best they can be called a motorised vehicle (cement mixers apart)

A moped or a scooter is NOT a motorcycle - that's why they are CALLED mopeds and scooters...

A Motorcycle will always elicit a positive emotional response from a Biker - that, if anything, is why Bikers ride motorcycles..

And - yes, Mopeds and scooters ( and even cement mixers) will elicit an emotional response - but not in a good way

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Correction

Someone NEEDS to build a driveable cement mixer. Possibly one for El Reg's SPB?

1. Brenda McViking
            Thumb Up

Yes. Then to prove it is properly robust, enter it into the Mongol rally.

2. Blofeld's Cat
            Thumb Up

"Someone NEEDS to build a driveable cement mixer. Possibly one for El Reg's SPB?"

How about this one.

2. Elmer Phud

It's gonna go all Trikes v's Sidecar rigs next.

2. Huw D

Depends.

Are we talking bike based trikes or car based trikes? :D

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I know a priest who rides a scooter. Apparantly all (or a large proportion of) undertakers ride motorbikes and they don't really have anything to do with priests but they are ok with him because they think he is a biker so how does that work ?

Only the 1%er bikers have an opinion worth caring about anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ultra-pedantry alert

According to the classification on the tax disc of my Daytona 955i (a far cry from a pedal cycle), it is a bicycle... Motorised or otherwise, it is the number of wheels and approval for use on public roadways that defines its classification...

3. JulianB
        Headmaster

Further pedantry alert:

"a motor" not "an motor"

6. Don Jefe

Here in the States the bikers do call their bikes scooters, in a form of Hipsteresque Irony. Thought maybe the trend had spread over there.

7. Elmer Phud

"Can I just point out that people who ride scooters are not "Bikers" "

I would assume that the AXE-WAVING BIKER GANG is in proper Sun/Mail full caps which would indicate a knowledge of the difference between a fat-arsed commuter device and a machine that can rip yer face off when operated correctly.

But I do agree that the standard press 'motorcyclist' grates a lot (and I don't even ride one).

8. Stevie

"Can I just point out that people who ride scooters are not "Bikers""

Pft. Hacker/Cracker.

9. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

That's the gag.

C.

10. Fink-Nottle
      Paris Hilton

Bikers are the kind of people who look like Lemmy from Motörhead and, as far as I'm concerned, when you look that scary, you can ride any damn form of transport you please - no questions asked.

/paris, coz she'll ride anything too

9. Jack Project

Afterwards the burglars used Apple maps to help with their escape and were never seen again.

10. frank ly

"...the fashionable North London borough of Islington"

When I commuted to/from the Angel, many years ago, Islington was a dirty, seedy area. What happened?

1. Number6

Re: "...the fashionable North London borough of Islington"

Tony Blair happened. Any criminal with self respect went somewhere else.

2. Shagbag

What happened?

Nothing. It's still a dump although some Londoners believe it's a fashionable dump.

It's the sort of place where you can walk down a nice street with (relatively) expensive property only to turn the corner and you're back to a shit-hole.

11. Kay Burley ate my hamster
    Stop

As they don't pay their taxes...

Should the Met send them a bill?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: As they don't pay their taxes...

I'm sure Apple pay their business rates for the shop. AFAIK, that is what goes to pay for the met Police.

Now, if they don't pay their business rates then the more they are robbed the better.

The rates for that shop on Regent St will be pretty high so they might well be paying a lot of money to Westminster City Council and subsequently Boris (the Spider)

12. xyz Silver badge
    Joke

Ha-ha...I didn't realise I was looking at a broken window

I thought it was a picture of that new snazzy iOS interface...fnar, fnar

13. mtw
    Flame

Oh come on

... presumably if they'd be in MkII escorts you would have headlined the piece "nostalgic rally gang"? No? Oh well, I rest my case.

14. Elmer Phud
    Trollface

Is it a Biker?

There are, though, the users of the gleaming fully tarted up with fringes on Harleys that are seen on the odd occasion it won't rain out for the five mile commute.

While I consider bikers to be folks from a rat bike to a near as damn it GP1 bike . . .

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If...

If you can't scramble helicopters without breaking eggs, stay out of the kitchen.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bikers?

Scooter/moped riders are definitely not bikers.

However, more importantly, why the need to brandish them "BIKER GANG"?

What's tomorrow's headline "CAR DRIVER COMMITS ROBBERY"?

Us bikers/motorcyclists are normal people too. Our choice of transport does not relate to our criminal record. Just think about all the bikers that regularly do egg runs, santa runs etc getting gifts to needy and poorly children. How many convoys of cars do you see doing the same.

It's about they changed the record and accepted bikes like the rest of Europe do.

17. Stevie

Bah!

Pretty shoddy gang: one axe between all the members.

When I were a lad the yoofs went properly tooled-up to a meeting of their club, whatever frame shape or wheel size their transport of choice displayed.

Tsk.

If they'd had real stones they'd have ram-raided the place in a flurry of two-stroke kamikaze glory.

1. Danny Roberts 1
      Pint

Re: Bah!

...in a flurry of two-stroke kamikaze glory.

Excellent, have a beer :-)

2. Santa from Exeter
      Happy

Re: Bah!

Shouldn't that be a fluury of 2 stroke Kawasaki glory?

http://thekneeslider.com/kawasaki-kh750-2-stroke-triple-cafe-racer/

My mate had one of these with a quick twist throttle and you could stand it on it's back wheel at 70! (not a cafe racer obviously)

18. Zaphod_42

What's this classed as then? (Ramsey sprint day at this years Isle of Man TT)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpl08sZKKU

19. DanceMan

Re: Ramsey sprint day

I'd love to see that mobility scoot on the sidewalk somewhere, to watch when the rider revs it.

Fellow at work has a Honda scooter, the one with a raw frame, no bodywork, with the full Yoshimura treatment. He's a rigger. Think you would call him a biker.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like