back to article We hardly ordered any stock! Yet here we are again with ANOTHER PC MOUNTAIN

Distributors and retailers exercised caution - with one eye on the disastrous inventory mountain that cast a shadow over the channel in recent years - and bought stock conservatively in Q2. The numbers crunched by IDC show that 22.2 per cent fewer boxes were shipped into warehouses in Q2 equating to 19.6 million boxes versus …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Grikath
    Facepalm

Blame it on the...

The bit about modern PC's being Good Enough for whatever the average user wants to do, so they will not be replaced until the physical machine dies, or browser requirements become such that you need a teraflop machine to view a webpage has, of course nothing to do with it. At all.

[/sarcasm]

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

People _are_ buying

The are buying phones, lots of phones, more phones and possibly a tablet. Microsoft has phones and tablets, but people are buying ABM. Perhaps one day computer distributors and retailers will get the message, but I am not waiting. There are other places to buy.

3. Andy E
    WTF?

Don't want it

People don't want the kit at the price they are trying to flog it. By the time the price comes down there will be either new models or price reductions of the things people want and are buying.

What makes you think people will buy the stuff they don't want?

Confused

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Memo to the Channel

Wipe that POS called Windows 8 and install Windows 7 or some brown coloured Linux Distro and you might sell some of that Mountain.

Don't forget to reduce the price as well as us punters don't have a lot of $$$$ ££££ to spare at the moment.

Alternatively, ship the lot to MS in Redmond collect.

5. gerryg

existing kit + ssd upgrade = all you'll need

solve the I/O bottleneck, put your photos on an external HD and you've got a solution that will last you a long tine, longer if you or your techie friend breaks the hamster wheel proprietary software upgrade cycle

no wonder Microsoft's Fairsearch are trying the open source software is anti-competitive whine to the EU (echoing Wallace's failed attempt on the GPL)

1. jubtastic1
      Thumb Up

Re: existing kit + ssd upgrade = all you'll need

Seconded, sling an SSD in an old laptop and you've got a new machine for a fraction of the cost, best upgrade ever.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am struggling to find laptops for my clients that wants removable batteries, built in dvd drive, Full HD screen and Windows 7 with a high built quality. They just don't exist anymore.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

In this age of 8Gb usb sticks what sense does a CD/DVD drive make?

1. M Gale

"In this age of 8Gb usb sticks what sense does a CD/DVD drive make?"

In this age of in-car CD players and three quid DVDs from Tesco, I would have thought that was obvious.

2. beep54
        Facepalm

"In this age of 8Gb usb sticks what sense does a CD/DVD drive make?"

Uh, let me go out on a limb here and say that those 8 Gb sticks you speak of do not actually play a physical CD/DVD that so many still seem to have. I know. I've tried.

2. JohnG

"I am struggling to find laptops for my clients... Full HD..."

Full HD is quite rare now. Notebook resolutions have gone backwards.

7. ScottME

Is this kit any use?

I'd buy a new laptop, but I'm not sure whether all this new touch screen bollocks will play nicely with Linux. Because the first thing I do with any Windows box is format the hard drive and install Linux.

8. Jim O'Reilly
    Holmes

Wings coming off?

The PC market fall is accelerating, which has to lead to a price war to get rid of excess inventory. This will choke new ultrabook intros, which likely will hit Intel

Negativenees on 8.1 seems universal. MS has a big problem!.Slaes of Chromebooks are rising fast, too.

9. DRendar
    Mushroom

Desperate to buy a new laptop....

But I refuse to buy one with a fracking useless - would have been considered OK 12 years ago 1366*768 screen resolution.

Sure you can pay £1000 and get a quad core i7 monster, but I don't need that level of CPU horsepower!!!

I want a modest CPU (Dual core AMD or i5 is fine), 6Gig of Memory, a nice keyboard and a DECENT BLOODY SCREEN RESOLUTION!!!!

I'd preferably like it sans-OS too, so that I can dual boot Xubuntu, and Windows7 (which I have a license for)

Looks like second hand is my only recourse at the moment :-(

10. Alex Future

wow

What a mess.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like