back to article 'Fat Wallet Bob' leaves Apple tech chief spot for Special Projects Bureau

An Apple executive whose pay packet was the second largest in the US has waved goodbye to his position as senior vice president of technologies at Cupertino. The firm announced that Bob Mansfield - formerly its veep of hardware engineering - has stepped down from his current position, but will continue to work under Tim Cook, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

"special projects"

Isn't "special projects" corporate doublespeak for 'too expensive to fire but can't be left with responsibilities'? If so, he must have been a very naught boy, especially as the special projects are unnamed!?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "special projects"

Isn't "special projects" corporate doublespeak for 'too expensive to fire but can't be left with responsibilities'?

Yes, seen this happen at work and it means being relocated to an office at the far end of a corridor where no-one else goes to work on your own until you either decide to "spend more time with your family" or "pursue opportunities outside the company". The key then is whether the company press release/memo that announces this adds "We wish him well in his future career" or not (and I've definitely seen memos that simply say "xxxx is leaving the company to pursue opportunities elsewhere" with no further comment!)

2. Len
      Boffin

Re: "special projects"

He is a tech-guy. Why would he want all that management hassle if he can now work on exciting tech in Apple-style secret development? Chances are he is happier working on wearable technology, creating the long-rumoured Apple TV or work on the car integration project Apple is said to work on.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

Eyes of wonder

With that kind of money uptake, I sure hope the spits bugfree, gold-plated documentation after each sip of coffee.

Well, guess it's nice to hear engineering to get the firehose treatment for once as opposed to the guys who ride various consumer waves from the boardroom.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, engineering boff is NOT joining LOHAN team...

You tell us all Apple never listen to you, and yet there they are copying your own engineering structure... did you patent the idea of a "special projects" team?

4. Khaptain Silver badge
    Flame

Bob the builder works for Apple ?

I wonder who pays Apple enough money that they can afford to pay one of their employees that kind of money ?

Fanboi mania, some people are just laughing all the way to the bank.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bob the builder works for Apple ?

So you think people at that level in other huge global companies don't get similar pay?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Bob the builder works for Apple ?

No, I don't think that they do. That's what so special about Bob, he is the 2nd highest earner. As the article stated that only Larry Ellison earns more...

Bob the Builder is not a CEO, he is just an employee ( OK he was on the comex).....but that still makes for one hell of a salary.

This is the Forbes list for CEO's ( not employees).

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2012/12/ceo-compensation-12_rank.html

I couldn't even find a list for employees.

5. Steve Todd
    Stop

He's been trying to retire since June last year.

He was tempted back for, what is thought to be, astronomical sums. If you wanted to retire and had the cash in the bank to do so I suspect you'd need a lot of coaxing to stay on also. He'd also have no need to be moved to "special projects" as a home for the unwanted, he'd just go if they weren't happy with him. More likely he's shifted to working part time managing projects that interest him. Good luck to the man I say.

1. K
      Thumb Up

Re: He's been trying to retire since June last year.

Steve - completely agree... I just wish El Reg would publish who down votes, Might stop some idiots from showing how ignorant they are.

1. Ted Treen
        Thumb Up

Re: He's been trying to retire since June last year.

I also endorse Steve's (rational) comment. You beat me to the description of the down voter, as well...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like