back to article Microsoft lobs second Windows 8.1 preview at enterprise IT admins

Having already teased some of the consumer and small business features of Windows 8.1 with a preview release in June, Microsoft on Tuesday announced a second preview, this one with new features targeting larger IT departments. "Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview builds on the Window 8.1 Preview which is currently available, adding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey, remember me....?

"...mainstream Windows 8.1 upgrade available to OEMs".

Well that is good news, for OEMs. I can't help to think that Apple and Google both raised themselves up from ashes by using the general consumer. Things like word of mouth, trendy iThings, snazzy Colours. Coincidentally that has and is happening as Microsoft slouches a bit. So, good for the OEMs, but why isn't Microsoft giving sneak peaks to regular old consumers as well?

Truthfully, I really can't word it right, but it seems the focus of Microsoft products has no place for general consumers anymore. Everything M$ seems to be done in hope of the "Big" sale.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Yes, they remember you...!

> why isn't Microsoft giving sneak peaks to regular old consumers as well?

Yawn... they ARE giving a sneak peek. This version is for the Windows 8 Enterprise edition. Not for the 'regular old consumers' as you put it. Here's the regular version:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Here's hoping it sucks less in remote support scenarios!

1. stucs201

better yet would be to suck less in general.

(I'm not too hopeful of that though)

3. h3

Not read that anything changes with sideloading. (It was always fairly easy for Server 2012 or Enterprise).

Most of the apps I would not mind a Metro version of are opensource ones but because of the cost to publish they will never be available or if they are then they will be adware which is completely unacceptable.

If those apps existed I would be happy to pay for the sideloading key to try them if the cost was $30.

Until then I won't use anything other than the desktop.

4. Howard Hanek

Microsoft's Own Weapon of Mass Destruction

Steve Balmer should have a special niche in business school libraries with a bust of him holding a Surface RT...His own WMD that Microsoft turned on itself...

5. Homer 1

Enterprise "Tiles"?

They're kidding, right?

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Re: Enterprise "Tiles"?

Kidding? Perhaps not for some kiosk apps. Big tiles (buttons) locked down to an ATM app or shopping mall directory would work well. But as a content creation platform? For actually getting work done? Doubtful.

1. HipposRule
        Happy

Hopefully you'd be using the Embedded Industry version on a kiosk

2. Lorin Thwaits
        Alert

Great, now I have to work at an ATM all day. I already hate their dumbed-down, slow interfaces.

6. kevin biswas

Microsoft lobs second Windows 8.1 preview at enterprise IT admins,

IT admin slightly change angle of foot to neatly deflect lobbed item into the waste basket.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Side-loading™ an App ..

'“Side-loading” means installing a non-certified app using external media (CD/DVD, USB or even a .ZIP archive). This bypasses the official Microsoft Windows App Store`

I wonder how long I've been violating Microsoft intellectual property through the use of Side-loading™ ...

8. Asok Asus

As long as Metro UI can't be permanently and forever bypassed and the Start Menu restored with a single setting, Windows 8.xxxx is deader than a Dodo bird in the enterprise and SMB.

9. PeterM42

Windows 8.x has already done the damage

In a fiercely competitive market, M$ have basically shot themselves in the foot with Win 8.

As an IT consultant, all I seem to hear about Windows 8 are complaints. I have always upgraded my main machine to the latest version of Windows so that I can support people better, BUT - I also need to USE my main machine, so that has not got upgraded, for the simple reason that Win 8 Metro UI is effectively unusable for general-purpose computing.

And for the smartphone, well it just has to be Android. Cost-effective, easy to use, flexible, standard Micro USB connector., no significant "lock-in" (sorry Apple!).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like