back to article BYOD for our staff? 'Career limiting' move, says Dell exec

Dell is fully behind the bring your own device (BYOD) trend, just not for its own employees. UK boss Tim Griffin said Dell has a raft of options for customers looking to accommodate staff who haul their own gear into the office but internally only offers its people BYOD on smartphones. "Our BYOD is really around the mobile, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

BYOD is seen as a massive headache for IT directors but something that is desired by some in the workforce, particularly younger folk.

Just not so desired by the "younger folk" when they realise that they'd have to fork out for the entire price of the hardware and software up front when they start their job and when it fails they're on their own. And even with all that they either have to run their system as a pimped up dumb terminal or have a suite of restrictive software sitting on it instead.

A poll of 232 IT managers by Insight last autumn revealed that nearly four-fifths of those surveyed did not plan to implement a BYOD strategy despite perceived productivity gains.

Now here is sense... where nearly 4/5 of them see through BYOD (for computers>) as nothing but a sales ploy for the vendors punting the systems to manage BYOD. As for the perceived productivity gains... much more can be achieved through running a responsive and pro-active IT department than attempting to join an industry inflicted fad.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Michael, your stuff is pants

3. Peter Clarke 1
    Big Brother

BYOD desire

I thought biggest proponentsof BYOD were the senior managers who had brought their son/daughter to work and had an ESSENTIAL need to access Facebook/Twitter/Youtube/BBM

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BYOD desire

You're right about it being senior managers, but I suspect the real reason is so they can forward FYI e-mails on their iPads they've blown the IT budget on after realising they don't really have much other use for them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BYOD desire

It's worse than that; it's senior managers (and those in Government) wanting to store sensitive documents on their iPads during the week then wanting to give Tarquin or Jasmina the iPad at the weekend so that can play Angry Birds and update Facebook. Scary.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Byod and restrictive (short sighted) trade

So dell n HP would sack somebody who brought another manufacturers piece of kit into the office.

Short sighted?

Perhaps they should ask the member of staff why they want to use somebody else's kit. Obviously there will always be a minority of extrovert users, you can live with that. But if you are told by a number of staff that they kit being issued is a steaming pile of shit maybe they should look at what they make/issue.

Both dell and HP make high end kit that people aspire to, maybe they are not as aspire-able as kit made by a number of other manufacturers. But they also make some kit that is inspired by the sell lots of it really cheap business concept and its here that we hit the soggy, barely warm brown and smelly stuff that some manufacturers make/issue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Byod and restrictive (short sighted) trade

Sack? No, but you might be asked not to bring another manufacturer's kit into the office.

They could ask staff why they want to use someone else's kit but they wouldn't as I suspect they know what kind of answer they would get. They would then ignore what was said and tell you how innovative and wonderful their own products are...

5. oldtaku Silver badge

Entrenched and defensive

Guess that's the sort of thing you have to do when you're a rapidly declining company in a rapidly declining market and none of your alternatives have gone well. Batten down the hatches! And buy our own stuff because someone needs to.

1. asdf
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Entrenched and defensive

LFMAO new keyboard please.

2. Montreal Sean

Re: Entrenched and defensive

They aren't saying "Don't buy our competitor's kit."

They are saying "Don't bring it to work with you."

If I were a manufacturer I wouldn't want my employees bringing competitor's kit to the office. I wouldn't care what they used outside of work, as long as they aren't wearing my company's ID.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dude, you're forced to use a Dell.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No BYOD in HP? True, but I've seen plenty of dev's using company issued MacBooks, and contractors working on their own MacBook Air's or other rival hardware...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A company may not have a official BYOD policy but when suitably senior managers start using iPads and iPhones they have little choice but to 'turn a blind eye'...

9. Sirius Lee

First article I've read on The Register which includes an actual CIO and even though I suspect this will have been a heavily edited article it still sums as "not in your lifetime - especially at Dell".

I really hope The Register will stop with this BYOD campaign. For me it highlights an ignorance of business and corporate governance. What if every other article is by an author who really equally as ignorant about the respective subject matter? Another perspective is that BYOD is just business and that The Register is merely taking someone's shilling. Though I hope not because it propagates a view that is anti-thetical to good corporate governance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like