back to article Apple's Siri 'hurls insults' at Google Glass

Apple's oft-ridiculed virtual assistant Siri is saying apparently saying nasty things about Google's Glass tech specs. Twitter user @seambrage noted the response depicted below when he invoked Siri and said “Okay Glass”, the phrase used to ready the tech specs for action. Siri trash talking Google Glass. Love it. pic.twitter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

@Simon Sharwood

Couldn't you have reproduced what siri actually replied instead of links which is both slightly annoying when reading an article and even more so when the firewall here blocks them? Maybe it was just too much to include in the article but I'll never know...

1. NorthernCoder
      Paris Hilton

Re: @Simon Sharwood

-I think that Glass is half empty, Sean (@seanmbrage)

-Just so you know, I don't do anything when you blink at me, Wes (@weskroesbergen)

-Stop trying to strap me to your forehead. It won't work. (@leongreen)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So much time on your hands that you sit there talking to Siri....

I can think of 101 better things to spend my time, and I don't need Siri to tell me where the nearest pub is.

Oh, and it is lazy journalism to use links the way you have done.

1. The First Dave
        Headmaster

The real laziness was in not spell-checking before posting...

2. Armando 123

"So much time on your hands that you sit there talking to Siri...."

Probably waiting on girlfriend to get dressed, or kids to get in the damn car, or boss to show up at meeting, or dog to finish "dropping a politician" before continuing the walk, ...

2. SuccessCase

Petty? For a website that dishes out snark and likes to teach lessons to fanboys who take themselves too seriously, to find offence in something that is minor and quite amusing, is well, revealing.

1. g e
      Meh

But we expect snark from El Reg.

Apple are supposed to be some kind of higher-evolved utopian entity unless you think their marketing dept might lie

2. Ian Yates
      Black Helicopters

"to find offence"

Felt to me like it was just more El Reg snark.

I like that Apple has a sense of humour; something that really doesn't come across in their other endeavours.

True, Google are a multi-tentacled beast of data/information gathering, but their humour and Easter eggs show a slightly more human face than many other companies allow.

<conspiracy>Or hide their evil ways!?

3. Mr C

Are you talking to me??

some engineer wasted a few seconds of his life in a attempt at being funny

..who said engineers dont have a sense of humor?

Happy

Re: Are you talking to me??

No one said that about engineers. It's the Germans that don't have a sense of humour. Engineers do have a sense of humour but never get close enough to other human beings to prove it.

1. jjk
        Big Brother

What about German engineers then?

In fact, ve do have a sense of humour. And ve haff ways to make you... appreciate it.

1. Dr. Mouse

"What about German engineers then?"

They have the best sense of humour of all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnybot

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "It's the Germans that don't have a sense of humour"

I think you may need to revise your opinion here.

It is a seriously enlightening read.

Happy

Re: "It's the Germans that don't have a sense of humour"

@Pascal Monett, a good read indeed! But as an engineer with German ancestry I won't stop mocking both of them.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

@Evil Auditor

Ah haa ! The penny drops !

I was, of course, oblivious to that fact. Which, in fact, somewhat proves my point :D.

I will bear it mind when reading your future posts, which I await now with non-negligeable anticipation :)

2. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Paris Hilton

"... some engineer wasted a few seconds of his life ..."

Wait, you mean they have a life ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow....

...so glad that twitter is blocked at work, otherwise that article may of made some sense to me.

1. DAN*tastik
      Megaphone

Re: Wow....

THEY ALSO BLOCK LITERACY, APPARENTLY.

Alert

Re: Wow....

Unfortunately, they didn't block capitalisation.

5. Arachnoid

Are you Siri...ous

More petty backhanders from the fruit loom factory

6. kingmonkey

"Very funny, <name>. I mean, not funny "ha-ha," but funny."

"Okay I think you've got the wrong Assistant, <name>."

7. Tim Roberts 1

"why are you being so petty?"

Because they are apple and the best and fanbois like all the new shiny shit they make - so they have every right to be petty.

Dont they?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

entertaining

it made me chuckle, it's also free advertising for Apple / Siri (and Google Glass too) by virtue of this feature getting covered in the press.

Actually I think Google might stand to gain more than Apple from this because glass is more of an unknown and this coverage is likely to open the eyes of people who might not have been paying attention to what Google are doing if they only follow Apple news.

9. Gordon Pryra

"why are you being so petty?

I think you will find Glass is an enormous threat to Apple. What do they have coming out? A watch.

Wooooo, I once had a swatch watch with a pager built into it. Nothing much has changed since then, A small screen which does what? Integrate with my phone and a few unneeded apps (maybe)

Hell I have not worn a watch in 4-5 years, and anyone I do know that still wears them does so because they say Rolex or Tag Heuer on them not because they can do anything apart from tell the time. Good luck taking them on Apple.

The Google Glass however is NEW, its SHINY and Apple cannot even attempt to take Google on here without being laughed at for copying them, ESPECIALLY after all the mud slinging about the Glass Apple have been taking part in.

Apple should have been the ones to make the Glass and they know it. This is one of the times that their version of innovation came back to bite them in the arse.

Re: "why are you being so petty?

What you say about Apple's watch, which you probably know not more about than most other people, could have been said about all their previous iThingies. There've been mp3 players before. So were smartish phones. And tablet computers. Not that I expect much from that watch, but you're saying more about your lack of imagination than about that watch.

10. heyrick Silver badge

Why?

Because he can.

(British Siri is a posh MALE butler with a girl's name, identity crisis?)

I do wish that the language parsing would be smarter. I ask "what is the date in Japan" (answer Heisei 25, but don't quote me on the spelling) and Siri looks for Japan in my calendar and fails... Hmmm.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sense of Humour Failure

The responses are hilarious.

1. Jim in Hayward
      Joke

Re: Sense of Humour Failure

Yes. Siri can give me a laugh now and then. I saw that new ad for Googles Nexus 7 Andriod phone. This kid asks "Google, what is glossophobia" which promptly pulls up the definition via Google search. So I pull out my iPhone and ask "Siri, what is glossophobia" to which it pulls up the definition for claustrophobia. Bzzt.

So, I repeat, 3 times. Each time it can't find it (looking for glossa phobia, glass o phobia). Then I think, Aha~ Google is picking a long word to use-maybe Siri can't understand long words? So I ask "Siri, what is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" She responds:

"Is that you, Mary?"

LOL !! So funny!! I replied "Yes, Siri, I am a Mary"

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It has a personality....

.......for the obvious reason that adverts and any paid lobbyist brainwashing will just be 'character'.

Another fact of life is that to 'breed em stupid' you also need to be populist.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Petty?

That's the spirit.

You'd think that Windows Phone wouldn't even be a blip in the radar, yet the old "three users" joke prevails.

14. Andrew Garrard

Nope, not seeing the pettiness.

Having found a way to navigate the links eventually to find out what the article was talking about, I agree with the above users. Apple, like many companies, is perfectly capable of being petty when it wants to be, but I really don't see how any of the responses mentioned are insulting Glass. Even the "half full" one is hardly a snipe, and the rest are just joshing with a user for mixing interfaces. To be honest, given time, someone with both devices will genuinely and accidentally try to communicate with Siri like they do with Glass, just as it's common when underslept/drunk/having an aneurysm to try to open a door with the wrong keys or use the wrong remote for the TV (and I live in fear of being too tired when the laundry bin kept in my upstairs toilet has its lid open). I'd far rather get an attempt at providing an amusing response than gibberish - as Infocom could tell you.

There's plenty of pettiness on the internet. Let's pick on the real stuff rather than on engineers attempting to retain their sanity by a little expression of humour. I'm sure the responses had to be cleared by someonecustomer-facing anyway, and if they couldn't find a way to be offended, I'm sure all that's here is imagination.

Now, there are plenty of more commendable and genuinely snide comments out there. The Amiga's Kickstart 1.2 message about Commodore or the message on the CVAX die, for example...

15. Phil Atkin

This is actually funny you know

Therefore, since the world is such a bloody miserable place lately, why is anybody complaining about this?

16. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Holmes

CEO Tim Cook is right that Google Glass are stupid, but clueless about glasses wearers.

Google Glass should be a huge target for mockery, because the physical design is so very very flawed, and even dangerous.

The design of Google Glass is ironically completely incompatible with all glasses wearers.

1. It occupies the area around the head where Glasses (including Sun Glasses!) sit, so is physically incompatible.

2. The short distance from the eye will make it useless to anyone who has trouble focusing very close to their eyes; which includes some people who normally don't need glasses.

3. It will be useless in bright Sunlight because it provides no facility to suspend Transitions Lenses to shade the eyes and the above eye display, so will be unusable in sunny areas.

4. The chunky side arms will preclude use with any kind of rigid crash helmet, and the current front design would be hazardous for impact; this will make it stupid to wear them in a vehicle, with and without air bags.

The people who say what a good idea as-is, must be completely blind as to just how bad the current physical design is.

I will consider the Google Glass team quite clueless until I hear that they have talked with designers for Prescription Glasses, Sun Glasses designers, and Sports Glasses, and considered front impact, because only then will they see just how stupid their current design is, and why they need to fix it!

17. Arthur 1

Corporate Culture

Remember Apple complying with the court ordered apology a while back? In a vacuum these kind of things don't mean much, but the corporate culture over there keeps throwing these kind of sad little jabs out.

I guess that's not totally shocking, most Apple staff outside senior management sign on not long out of school and leave within 5 years. But still, kind of sad the image they're cultivating.

18. Fluffy Bunny
    Happy

When I was doing 3rd year computing in the University of Adelaide, they replaced the old Cyber 6600 with three shiny new Vax 11/780s. The Vax had a help command which could take additional entries, which was quite advanced in 1979.

For most of a year the postgrad students had been customising the systems, making them more user friendly with how-to guides, etc. So it was with some amusement that when I typed in "help cyber", I got the response, "Sorry, Cyber is beyond help."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like