back to article Microsoft gives TechNet a one-off reprieve

Microsoft has decided to extend the life of its TechNet service for 90 days, but will still kill the popular service and suggest subscribers migrate to the more expensive MSDN. Microsoft has let subscribers know of the extension in an update to its Subscriptions page for the service. The offer's only open to “customers whose …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Boffin

Or...

As Baldrick says to Blackadder, 'I have a cunning plan'.

Inevitably, the plan turns out to be a big pile of dog-poo and Blackadder has to do something else to save the day.

It seems that this re-org inside MS has got a lot of people running around like headless chickens. That brings some other well know TV phrases to mind, Don't Panic (Cpl Jones in Dad's Army) and 'Don't tell him Pike!' (from the same show).

From the outside, this has all the hallmarks of a typical British Farce (type of play) that is clearly is IMHO doing nothing to promote MS in anything but a bad light.

Of course Captain Balmer will fly in to save the day ... Oh wait... Is that King Gates III I see approaching saying

'My Kingdom for a decent O/S'...

3. Bubba Von Braun
    FAIL

Doesnt help

Nice but mine expires on 31/10/13 and they have reversed an order they accepted and provisioned it to my TechNet login (can you say breach of the Australian Consumer Law, breach of contract and unconscionable conduct comes to mind) 3 months after it was placed with them. Complaint already lodged with the ACCC.

So I have paid for a new subscription, more $$ (bait and switch tactic, added to the ACCC complaint). Let’s see if they reject that order as it was submited before the deadline.

A reasonable position would be to accept renewals to run up to the program end date. But then again reasonable conduct and Microsoft that’s an oxymoron.

Oh it also seem the Microsoft Subscription Centre (ANZ) must have already been closed as they havent responded to my query 1 buiness day (as promised in the auto-response) is now a week and nothing but crickets. not holding my breath.

4. rurwin

" ... us the professionals, because we are ultimately the people who drive the decision making process."

Someone is deluded. Microsoft drive the decision making process, based only on the profit, always have and always will. If customers don't like that they are welcome to go elsewhere -- except they have sunk so much into Microsoft that no alternative is possible.

5. Doug Bostrom

Just imagine: there's some poor drone deep in the bowels of Microsoft who has been assigned to fulfill the technical requirements of giving the shaft to TechNet subscribers who fail to match the exacting requirements of continued existence for 90 more days.

What a great job!

6. JDX Gold badge

As the old saying goes...

... if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Technet and MAPS both fall into that category for me. They're amazing resources for a tiny startup.

1. K

Re: As the old saying goes...

100% agree.

I'm a Linux admin and the only reason as a company we use anything Microsoft is cause the MAPs gave me enough licensing to keep 10 staff happy when we first started up. We're now 80+ staff, so MAPs is not so important these days.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All the change will do is push small sellers into offering alternatives to MS because they wont be able to maintain a cost effective lab environment. It wont push them to the Microsoft cloud because there is little money in it for the resellers.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh, please tell me that...

technet.microsoft.com will go off-line and never come back.

9. Wade Burchette

When Microsoft first announced this decision, I fired off an email to them begging them to reconsider. I listed all the reasons why I need TechNet and how this will hurt my business. But I also told them that my request will likely fall on deaf ears considering how well Microsoft has listened to customers lately. I told Microsoft in the email that all we asked for in Windows 8.1 was a start menu. But you didn't listen and gave us everything except a start menu. I concluded by begging them to just listen.

I knew my request would be ignored because they probably didn't like me mentioning Windows 8. But it is the truth. Microsoft thinks they can bully and piss off people with impunity. The TechNet cancellation has pissed me off. So much so that if Windows does not return to a workable version, I will be switching to Linux or Mac and I will recommend all my customers do the same as well.

10. Tezfair

you learn, you sell, you teach, you support. Maps and then (for me) Technet was the foundation of my business built on MS software. Trialware simply doesn't work for me as they are often not the full package or have something missing.

As a long term MS based mobile user I took the first steps to android and I have been pretty pleased. The other week I was involved as a gofer at a college rolling out macs and saw first hand what improvements apple have done in intergrating into AD.

The closure of technet has made me see other platforms in a different light, and I can honestly see alternatives now being viable. It's a big learning curve, but learn or die.

MS, enjoy your dwindlling client base. Your ship is sinking and your turning off the pumps.

1. K

+1

Definitely comment of the week

"MS, enjoy your dwindlling client base. Your ship is sinking and your turning off the pumps."

I've seen a lot of people expressing their frustrations with Microsoft, I've done my fair share, but this beautifully sums it up!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like