back to article How the internet turned ram-raiders into sophisticated fraudsters

Fraud and theft has always been as much of a part of the technology channel scene as fast cars and bonus time excess. But it seems the shift to electronic communications has handed the bad guys a more subtle arsenal. If we look back over the years, it's clear your best defence is to refine your ability to detect when something …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Almost an interesting article

This article might have been good, if it actually explained how the scams worked in detail. Some of the stories had just enough to allow people who already know about how these things work to know what was going on.

If this article actually explained what the fraudsters were doing, and the kinds of checks you can do to identify what is going on at a level of detail to be useful, then this would have been a useful article.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Re: Almost an interesting article

the problem is it's a fine line between forewarning the innocent, and aiding the guilty.

Many years ago when I worked at a large supermarket, we were warned in quite some detail of a shoplifting scam. A few weeks later a relative of one of the managers was caught in a rival supermarket trying the exact same scam ...

2. The Godfather
      Holmes

Re: Almost an interesting article

Businesses that seek protection or wish to strengthen processes should seek guidance. Providing to much detail on fraud techniques gives people ideas and ammunition.

Much of prevention is common sense, simple detective work and an experience of wide-ranging fraud indicators.

2. Shannon Jacobs

Following the money to security

That's why Google Play should have a "financial model" tab in the Android app library. The developer should explain where the money is supposed to come from or why he is developing and offering this app, and Google should add a comment (that the developer cannot modify). It can be as vague or as specific as the developer wants to get, and Google doesn't have to say anything substantive about it. Here are some examples:

Example 1:

Developer: My revenue will come from the professional version of the app.

Google: For every 10 free versions, 3 professional versions have been downloaded.

Example 2:

Developer: My revenue will come from advertising.

Google: The developer is participating in our advertising program and has received revenue ranking him in the second quartile of advertising-based developers.

Example 3:

Developer: My application development is supported by Company X to support their hardware.

Google: We contacted Company X and did receive confirmation that this developer is receiving some funding, but no details.

Example 4:

Developer: I am independently wealthy and I'm creating this app out of the goodness of my heart.

Google: We have no evidence supporting this funding model.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like