back to article METEORITES, not MEN, are FROM MARS: NASA rover's shock discovery

A foolproof way of telling whether a given meteorite fallen here on planet Earth is actually from Mars has been developed, courtesy of NASA's nuclear-powered rover Curiosity prowling across the ochre landscape of our planetary neighbour. Over the billions of years that the two planets have circled the Sun in adjacent orbits, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Axe

Greenpeace doom mongering

I'm just waiting for when Greenpeace claim that human activity will cause the Earth's atmosphere to dissipate. Tbey seem to blame everything on us pesky humans and would probably like humans to go extinct.

1. anatak

Re: Greenpeace doom mongering

And there is your proof that men are from Mars. Men destroyed the red planet and moved to the next one.

So women might be from Venus. They destroyed that one and moved to the next one too.

And now they can work together to destroy / preserve (depending on your world view) this one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

"And there is your proof that men are from Mars. Men destroyed the red planet and moved to the next one."

Actually I think the proof for men from Mars is even more obvious than this. After all: who or what are throwing all those Mars rocks towards Earth?

Conspiracies I tell you! :-)

2. awomanfromVenus
        Mushroom

HOI!!!! Watch those comments anatak, or you'll have amFm and me to deal with....

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"So women might be from Venus. They destroyed that one and moved to the next one too."

This totally explains why Venus is now covered in maxed-out credit cards.

4. Armando 123

"So women might be from Venus. They destroyed that one and moved to the next one too."

Explains its runaway temperature. All the women couldn't get warm, all turned up the heat, and hence the lead-melting surface temperature.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And if the rocks with their air bubbles formed ...

... before the Argon-36 was depleted??

3. Daedalus

And the answer to the Ultimate Question...

...turns out to be 4.2. You can't make this stuff up. Sorry Dougla, you were off by a factor of 10.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: And the answer to the Ultimate Question...

Dougla?

There were more than one of him? Who knew...

1. Euripides Pants
        Headmaster

Actually, the plural of Douglas is Dougli...

2. TheRealRoland

sorry, Daedalus, you were off by one letter ;-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

degree of certainty

If NASA didn't know the ratio of Ar 36/38 of our nearest neighbour with sufficient accuracy without the SAM being physically on the planet, how can they be sure that other planets in the solar system, nay the universe, don't have this golden ratio as well? And presumably not all rocks/stuff floating about the solar-system/universe originated from one of the now existing planets in this solar system. Logic suggests that all they can say is Mars is the most likely place of origin from all the samples that have ever been tested using SAM like technology - which I suspect isn't that many. Or am I missing something fundamental.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

So chances of misunderstanding the origin of a meteor Argon?

And now I"m gone before the pumelling begins!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Men are from Mars ...

.... but Women went to Venus .... because they had the map upside down

1. Tom 7

Re: Men are from Mars ...

when taught by AC men this is the likely result.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Surely holding the map upside down would just land you in the wrong hemisphere? Inquiring minds want to know.

3. Euripides Pants
      Alien

Women are from outer space....

7. Arachnoid
    Holmes

would just land you in the wrong hemisphere?

Maybe they had an incorrect glyph in the dialing address

8. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Boffin

Do women really want to be from Venus

I wonder if women putting forward that men are from Mars, women are from Venus have thought this one through. It suggests men are from a planet which is fairly cold, has a thin atmosphere, but is not totally inhospitable. Various robots set down on its surface which work for years on end, it is that hospitable.

By contrast, Venus is a positive hell: the atmosphere is highly acidic (containing sulphuric acid), the temperature is high enough to melt lead, and the pressure is high enough to crush any probe sent there. Thus, saying women are from Venus associates women with acid, molten lead, and unbearable pressure.

Is that really the message they want to send? ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is that really the message they want to send? ;-)

Yep

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Do women really want to be from Venus

"Thus, saying women are from Venus associates women with acid, molten lead, and unbearable pressure."

After 32 years of mandatory blissful marriage, yes. That is the factual message.

And reality.

3. skeptical i
      Pint

Only women are tough enough to have come from Venus [was: Do women really want to be from Venus]

Acid, heat, and pressure was apparently good preparation for bearing children, having menses (some with mind- numbingly debilitating cramps), and still, in this the 21st century common era, putting up with discrimination, objectification, and other nonsense (IIRC, John Lennon had a thought on this topic). Yet despite this they still laugh, smile, and can bring men to their knees with a well-deployed glance. Tough stuff indeed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like