back to article How to stop intruders without knocking out the workers

For a sysadmin, fighting malware feels like an uphill battle that you are never going to win. Security software vendors are in a constant catch-up game, trying to create definitions to protect their customers from the latest round of malware. Sysadmins have the tough job of using their various security software and devices, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

More than a footnote

User awareness is key to securing the network. Educating users on how to browse the internet safely and avoid opening unknown files can go a long way.

The single biggest threat to most networks are its users. Just as many beancounters neglect the cost of admins to run the equipment, those same admins often forget managing users is at least as important as managing end points or networks.

If you want to do well as an admin, know your customers at least as well as you know your systems.

2. Wanda Lust

eMail fail

Get rid of email, it's a productivity sap and communication minefield.

Or at least get rid of all the ‘elegance' and attachments - simple messaging, sms-like stuff.

When you find yourself hitting your head against a brick wall, repeatedly, it's best to find a path that avoids the brick wall.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: eMail fail

I can't decide if you are trolling or not, so I downvoted you just in case.

Assuming you are serious, what method of communication do you think is better? What method of sending information in the form of files to multiple recipients?

To my mind, there is nothing more efficient than e-mail. It is to the point, ensures all recipients get the same version of a file, and doesn't require the avoidance of needless chat by seeming to be rude - you simply don't respond.

1. an it guy

Re: eMail fail

"To my mind, there is nothing more efficient than e-mail. It is to the point, ensures all recipients get the same version of a file, and doesn't require the avoidance of needless chat by seeming to be rude - you simply don't respond."

Email can be efficient. The people using it often aren't and you get included on conversations on which you did not need to be. Being assigned the task, and being able to remove yourself from the conversation is a good thing, but with email you're at the mercy of the person sending. So:

Asana.com (from personal use): I've used it and it works for small teams (as well as being free up to 30 users). The attachments are stored in one place so you don't needlessly get sent 3-4MB emails. It's on one location, and non-technical users grasp it quite easily, and your email is them broken nicely into projects. I wish more people would use it

Sharepoint: if you want multiple collaborators and don't want Google's cloud, and have the servers. Works well. Still doesn't stop people saving the document and emailing it around (negating the point of sharepoint...)

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

True story.

A company I worked for was being looked over with a view to be bought by a foreign company.

They sent 3 auditors (own PCs and full network access to see nothing was being hidden) to look us over and make sure everything was sound.

Our IT dept did a full software audit (a regular event) to make sure no unauthorized software was running and we would not get a visit from some industry shake down squad representing license body.

All PC's clean, except 3 that were loaded with assorted unlicensed software, cracked games, games of unknown origin etc.

The auditors.

Luckily none of it was infectious.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like