back to article Microsoft bags another glamorous Office 365 customer

Microsoft knows how to score those big cloud rollouts with customers that are positively dripping in glamour - Poundland is migrating to Office 365. Europe's self-proclaimed biggest "single price discount retailer" chose heavily Microsoft-accredited channel partner Core Technology Systems (CTS) to deploy the cloudy wares. " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

"single price discount retailer"

Is that Reg sarcasm or for real... I genuinely could believe either these days.

1. Alan 6

Re: "single price discount retailer"

that's how Poundland styles itself, and you can't say they're lying...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They are lying when they say they're a discounter since everything in their store is built to a cost to enable them to make a profit.

They sell loaves of bread that are £1. But do compare their size with one for more in a supermarket, you'll find you're getting £1 worth of bread.

1. Mike Brown

ive noticed that too. I used to think there milk was great value, but its 1.3 litres, rather than 2. not so good value.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM Notes...

The one thing that could make Office 365 look attractive ;-)

3. Alan Bourke

Ah, Notes.

At one time there was nothing that could touch it.

1. Ryan Clark

Re: Ah, Notes.

Problem is that Notes appears to be exactly the same as then. Speaking as someone who is currently doing a Notes to Office365 migration, Notes looks exactly the same as I when I was last a user on it, which was over 10 years ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Whereas now there's no-one that'll touch it.

My experience of notes was via a big blue takeover.

For years I'd been happily using Thunderbird to connect to an MS Exchange server.

Then IBM came along with this clunky email client tacked on to some sort of DB admin tool, I just didn't take to it. The UI looked like it hadn't changed since the 16 bit days.

1. Anonymous Crowbar

>Whereas now there's no-one that'll touch it.

>My experience of notes was via a big blue takeover.

Same. Notes was one of the main reasons i left pretty rapidly from a job I had enjoyed for over seven years. Well that, the bell curve nonsense, endless meetings with nothing being done, ridiculous work practices, and literally no incentive to do anything constructive at all. Ever.

That company needs a serious shake up. It could probably lose about 30-40% of its staff, and it may be more efficient.

3. dogged

And now there's nobody that will touch it.

4. Tim 11

but which parts are they actually using?

One of the nice things (for the supplier) about bundling all your apps up into one umbrella brand is that you can announce that customer is has signed up for your latest all-singing all-dancing cloud offering when all they're actually going to use is office on the desktop (which they were already paying for) and a bit of webmail.

All conjecture of course!

5. Alan 6

They're not wrong about Notes

It's a big pile of shit.

I remember when I worked in a certain large computer assembler in the North West, we used Notes and Smart Suite, Notes was appalling, especially at handling external email.

Parts of Smart Suite were OK though, as long as nobody sent you a Word document to amend...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They're not wrong about Notes

Having just moved to a Big4 consulting company who uses Notes I cant believe how utter shite it is. Been used to Outlook until now and that improved with each version, going to Notes is like going back in time. Truly Awful.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Watch the fees rise.

Just like the CAL licence hikes. Poundland soon to be re-branded £2land

1. hplasm
      Devil

Re: Watch the fees rise.

There is an agreement- MS don't hike the prices.

Poundland shift Win8.1 and Surface....

1. The Godfather
        Pint

Re: Watch the fees rise.

For a pound...

7. Law

we still use notes.... :'(

... and the company bosses seem to have shares in IBM as they keep buying more IBM stuff, while everybody who has to use it weeps with every announcement.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are they going to change the name in Europe?

Will it be "Euroland"? Or "Pays de Euro"?

And presumably the items will be even smaller, or fewer, or crappier?

1. Mike Brown

Re: Are they going to change the name in Europe?

1.1 euroland?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Will it be "Euroland"? Or "Pays de Euro"?"

Dunno what they'd call it, but the base price point in Europe for this type of offer is a fairly unsurprising €2. Which actually gives them more leeway, as that's a whole lot more than a quid (like about 70% more). If retailers go the other way then it is 84p land, and there's really not much range you can offer for that, particularly as the fixed costs of each transaction (eg checkout hardware, staff time) remain the same regardless of the price.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>>> If retailers go the other way then it is 84p land, and there's really not much range you can offer for that, <<<

Here in Portugal I can get a bottle of red that is drinkable for €0.99 in LIDL. That's better than anything you can get for 1 pound in Poundland I'm sure.

9. Allonymous Coward

One of the problems with Notes...

...was that most people thought of it as an email system, at which task it pretty much sucked.

We also used to use it to run bits of our intranet though - discussion databases, call trackers, that sort of thing. It was actually a pretty good system for that, back in the day.

I last used it about 10 years ago, at which point the UI was firmly entrenched in 1995. So maybe it's made it into the current century by now.

10. Stoke the atom furnaces

Glass

IBM Lotus Notes - It is better than chewing glass (Depending on the amount of glass).

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Microsoft and Poundland... surely a marriage made in hell heaven.

12. doctortintin

still using Notes

My company still uses Lotus Notes; approx. 1000 seats. Works fine as an email client. Agreed, the UI is fairly clunky. On the upside it looks identical on Linux desktops.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like