back to article LOHAN preps Vulture 2 for hot vinyl wrap

The Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) team has some good news and some bad news today. The good news is that we've finished the paint element of of Vulture 2 spaceplane's livery, and it looks absolutely magnificent. The bad news, for you lot at least, is that we're not going to show our beloved readers just how …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. joeW
    Go

I'll say this for you chaps -

You know how to build the suspense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: I'll say this for you chaps -

Either that, or they really do have day jobs.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You reckon?

"So, as you read this, the rocket ship is aboard a vessel somewhere between Bilbao and Portsmouth, ploughing inexorably forwards towards......"

a meeting with the busybodies of customs, immigration, "anti-terrorist" police, the bomb squad, all of whom will ask you difficult questions about whether you have a licence for this, whether you realise that even thinking about rockets is illegal under some dubious interpretation of a poorly drafted law rushed though in 2001, whether your dad was ever in Al Quaeda, and such like.

And as the courts have proven, it's quite OK for armed plod to shoot anybody they want, any time, for no good reason at all, and to walk away scot free. Or to taser you, even if you're blind, mentally ill, or under the age of criminal responsibility.

So good luck, gents, but look out for the welcoming committee, all of whom are there to "keep us safe".

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: You reckon?

"busybodies of customs, immigration, "anti-terrorist" police, the bomb squad"

At Portsmouth continental ferry port? Bwahahaha!

No, they all got downsized as part of the War on Public Sector Jobs. That and Pompey CFP is dying on its arse.

You might get one bloke from Group 4 on minimum wage who can't be arsed to look up from his copy of Heat magazine from 2008.

I reckon SPB could get an actual vulture through there if they wanted.

3. Stuart Ball

No pressure on Chris and his Vinyl Wrappers eh?

1. Kevin Johnston

So, are the SPB including a 24hr guard to stop any sneaky smartphone snaps of the finished product appearing on the intwerwebs?

2. Pypes

Ive allready delegated the task to our master wrapper. I should probably inform him at some point.

4. Pete 2 Silver badge

cheapskates!

> it made perfect sense to bring the aircraft over

And here was me hoping it would be flown over on the back of a Jumbo Jet

1. Blofeld's Cat

Re: cheapskates!

"... flown over on the back of a Jumbo Jet"

Assuming the Antonov 225 was unavailable...

2. rhydian

Re: cheapskates!

They tried that in Moonraker. It didn't go well.

5. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Thumb Up

Thats...

One snappy looking space plane - something Branson himself would be happy with.

6. DanX

How much does this wrap weigh?

I'm sure its fine and everything, but how much extra energy is the wrap going to cost the ship? Or will it have great features that will offset this?

The design looks great though btw.

1. M Gale

Re: How much does this wrap weigh?

Depending on the vinyl used, it can be thinner than a coat of paint. Usually gives a smoother result too without hours of 600-grit sanding, assuming they don't hand the job over to Bubbles McCreases, the YTS lad.

2. PC Paul

Re: How much does this wrap weigh?

It's a weird thing with planes, especially gliders, which this essentially is - after a looong balloon phase and a few seconds of rocket powered terror, anyway. Weight makes them go faster. A given airframe will have a certain glide ratio, i.e. it will go a certain distance forwards for every amount it drops. Within sane limits this ratio is constant, so if you make it heavier it drops faster, therefore it has to fly forwards faster. With radio controlled gliders it's common to add lead or even tungsten ballast to really get the weight up. Full size gliders use water so they can easily ditch it.

In this case there are other factors that come into play. The vinyl will make the surface smoother which will help especially at very high speeds. The weight becomes an issue when you have to lift it with a balloon to ridiculous heights. But it also makes it tougher - I have a foam flying wing covered with vinyl which is super tough and super fast, at the expense of needing a really good day to go gliding.

I just want to see this thing FLY!

7. imanidiot Silver badge

Oh come now

do you really have to keep us dangling like this!

8. CmdrX3

It's hard to believe it's been so long

It's been almost three years since we first heard of LOHAN and she's only now getting some clothes on her. I am assuming the final test and launch will be sometime this summer.

9. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Mmmmmm....Lohan wrapped in vinyl....

Type your comment here -- advanced HTML and hotlinks allowed.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.