back to article Want to see at night? Here comes the infrared CONTACT LENS

University of Michigan boffins have created a tiny light detector that reaches into the infared, and is already small enough to be delivered as a contact lens. The key trick, the researchers say, is that they've created an infrared detector that doesn't need the cooling demanded by most devices that currently operate at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    WTF?

Contact lens? Going to need a pile of lenses unless this new material is lasing.

2. AndyS

So...

A proof of concept has been developed which has a sensor thinner than a contact lens.

Cue sensationalist headlines.

Just out of interest, where does the battery live?

1. Havin_it

Re: So...

or the dirty big infrared torch, for that matter?

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: So...

Wireless power akin to wireless phone charging?

Charged through blinking?

3. Vociferous

More realistic...

...would be IR-sensitive lenses for a Google Glass type device. Would be great for night driving.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: More realistic...

I have seen interesting experiments (by Jaguar, as I recall) with near infra-red (NIR) headlights (apart from the normal ones), a simple CCD camera without IR blocking filter (required for normal visual use), and a jet-fighter style HUD showing the image ahead superimposed on the normal view through the windscreen. I heard some up-market cars now can be ordered with a similar system, but with the HUD replaced by a simple screen on the dashboard. The NOR lights can just shine straight ahead without blinding anyone (except those with (N)IR contact lenses/Google glasses).

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

That depends on the IR band as one famous Italian celebrity of the bygone age can testify (she got nailed by this one a couple of decades back during a supposedly innocuous photoshoot).

Hint, the average summer dress is quite transparent in the near IR band.

So if someone comes up with a near IR google glass mod things may get very interesting indeed. If you think that they treat a glasshole badly in a bar now watch what will happen then.

By the way - a lot of sensors and cameras have more than sufficient sensitivity in near IR to do this so it may in fact be just a matter of tweaking the camera firmware to do this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The camera firmware doesn't even need tweaking. Hold a TV remote up to your phone's camera and hit the button, you'll see what I mean.

Not useful for seeing through clothing or use as a FLIR, but it easily sees the wavelengths used by IR remotes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Early cameras with IR nightvision actually had the "problem" of seeing through thin layers of clothing (problem between quotes because it depends on your point of view obviously).

I am unsure of what exactly they did to solve that, I believe they switched to another wavelength.

2. Ed_UK
        Boffin

"a lot of sensors and cameras have more than sufficient sensitivity in near IR"

As DougS also pointed out, this is a useful trick to see if your remote control is working; just pick up that mobile.

Because of the sonsor's intrinsic sensitivity to IR, cameras, webcams, 'phones have IR-rejecting filters. Without the filters, the contrast and relative brightness of objects in the captured image would be messed up. There are some pages on the web showing how to remove the filters and have some IR fun.

BTW - the longer-wavelength IR will have a different focussing point to visible light and the lens won't be optimised for it. It's still on my 'to do' list. Readers old enough to remember 'proper' cameras may have noticed the additional focusing mark for use with IR film.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Hint, the average summer dress is quite transparent in the near IR band."

Yes, my first thought on reading the headline, before I even got to the story, was the camcorder (Sony?) a couple of years back that supposedly could film "through" clothes when used in nightvision mode during daylight (or something like that)

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Re inventing the image orthicon for the 21st century.

Because that's roughly what this is

What always gets me is that the graphene structures are so much smaller than the light they are detecting.

On a general point re-implementing "tube" imaging technology might be a lot easier way to implement "area" devices like imaging or display systems with nanotechnology as most of the components are layers not individually defined devices.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Graphene ...

... now you're just showing off.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Infrared

pictures or it didn't happen.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds great until someone shines a bright torch in your face.

1. JDX Gold badge

Just like when you're not wearing the lenses then.

8. TRT Silver badge

So... there's no emitter on the back of this, just a sensor. Where does the image form, then? On a Google glass screen which is in front of the sensor? Or in the other eye? (That'll be confusing).

Not useful for contact lenses at all, then.

9. Gideon 1

Micro-bolometer LWIR sensors don't need cooling, they operate at room temperature.

Also, if your contact lens were the size of goggles...

10. Crisp

Will this give me Terminator style night vision?

See Title.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Copyright

Does Riddick not already have the copyright on this?!?!

12. Pete the not so great

Handy...

As my local gov turn off the street lights after midnight.

13. Stevie

Bah!

Prediction: Widespread use of these for night driving will result in the reintroduction of the old 1960s-era "Dip, Don't Dazzle" adverts on the BBC.

We demand a test of Nite-Lite(tm) contact lenses by the Top Gear team driving something stupid in, say, India, Columbia or Thailand.

This topic is closed for new posts.