back to article Mobe battery flat? These ELECTRIC PANTS will pump things up

MicroNokia's ongoing efforts to convince world+dog that inductive charging is a very good idea has just taken important strides with the release of a pair of electric pants. The product of British designer A. Sauvage, the pants are said to have “used the technology from the new Nokia DC-50 wireless charging plate”, a new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Munin
    WTF?

Amazing Techno-Trousers

I assume that, having shelled out however much on a mobe capable of this charging and on these techno-trousers, the wearer will be guaranteed to be wearing them at any point his phone needs charging on account of not being able to afford anything else to keep his legs covered?

2. Captain DaFt

They took the Idea too far.

Wouldn't it have been better (and cheaper) to make an inductive charger that would fit into regular trouser pockets, and act as a protective case for the phone?

(Of course, that wouldn't let you emblazon the logo on the crotch, butt, waistband and seams, so Marketing was dead against it.)

3. gregthecanuck
    Mushroom

Well I think this idea is just... well..... er pants!

Of course if anything goes wrong, its "buyer, buyer pants on fire!!"....

4. Paul Crawford Silver badge

The Wrong Trousers?

How compatible with other inductive phones will these wonder-pants be?

Cheese Gromit!

5. Valeyard

If Carlsberg made contraceptives

Although would anyone who wears this have the opportunity to put his virility to use anyway?

6. Mr C

kids sizes

how about i put my mobile phone battery down my kids pants? with all the running they're doing i'm sure ill never be out of a fully charged battery EVER.

Heck, i'd even feed them some chocolate for some added bonus :P

1. Matt 21

Re: kids sizes

Well, I think parents have been saying things like that for a long time "if I could capture just half your energy".....

However, I see a couple of possible flaws in your idea, sorry.

Firstly, I'm in the house relaxing, the kids are in the garden running around and charging my phone. Sadly I can't actually use my phone because the kids have got it.

Secondly, the kids have got it... need I say more?

Thirdly, The phone would have to be fairly sturdy and waterproof, or is that just my kids?

1. Mr C

@Matt : batteries man, batteries! Never a phone :P

1. Matt 21

Ahhhh, I see your point :-)

On the other hand, one of my kids put his (or hers, let's not publicly blame him) batteries in the fridge to see if they'd come back to life. Words were exchanged so a couple of weeks later I caught him (or her) trying to boil them in a saucepan.

2. Santa from Exeter

"Thirdly, The phone would have to be fairly sturdy and waterproof, or is that just my kids?"

I think you'll find most kids are sturdy and waterproof :-)

7. brooxta

But what kind of pants?

Trousers - maybe.

Underpants - no way!

8. Wanting more

Inefficent

Isn't inductive charging inherently lossy? So given the limited supply from a battery surely it makes better sense to have a physical connection to the phone to transfer the power.

I do love my QI charging mat for my S3 though, but that's plugged into the mains. It sucks 1.5Amps from the charger, but the phone only charges at 750ma when sat on the mat (approx) if you plug the phone directly into the charger it definitely charges faster. But for overnight charging that doesn't matter and the convenience outweighs the inefficiency for me.

1. handle

Re: Inefficent

@Wanting more: I was going to make a comment about efficiency too - it's clear that these techno-trousers are a stupid idea. I've read that the transfer efficiency of wireless chargers is 70-80%, yet yours only appears to be 50%. How did you measure it - ammeter on the input side and some reading from the phone on the output side? Or just the rating printed on the charger, which doesn't mean that it's actually delivering that amount of current? If it were only 50% efficient, given a 5V supply the thing would be dissipating 3.75W which would make it rather warm.

9. Suricou Raven

How do you wash them?

1. Alister

You just turn them inside out when they get crusty...

10. Robert E A Harvey

Gas powered?

Where does the initial energy input come from?

1. Benchops

Re: Gas powered?

crotch-dynamo

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If people are worried about lower sperm count from pocketing their phone

They're really going to be worried if they have their front pants pocket powered up all day long!

12. Matthew 3

Didn't the IT Crowd already cover these?

"Damn these electric sex pants!"

Link

1. Shrimpling
      Thumb Up

Re: Didn't the IT Crowd already cover these?

Well thats the rest of my day ruined watching Matt Berry clips on YouTube.

13. Geoff May

“electric blue”

"shocking pick" would be more appropriate ...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warranty replacement

Hello I'm suffering a constant discharge in my pants, running around has not helped.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn...

For a second there I thought someone might have found a use for all the flatulence which persists in my office.

1. jeremyjh

Re: Damn...

A gas turbine might just be the answer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like